VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

this is great, love it

ty all,
link for 1.0s at the top of this page,
http://xoxos.net/vst/angleblack.zip

it's of course quite nice to be able to release something people find useful and interesting.

these two synths (and methods) have a lot of unexplored territory. i haven't attempted to study how oscillator frequencies affect partial frequencies. tbh 'black' is probably best understood in the precedent 2d form (out vst, various thread discussions) and perhaps in 2 osc modes (4-7) - i am asserting that the method can be understood and used for more than blind tweaking :hihi:

the last 64 patches for black just set integer frequencies and are fluffed for interesting oscilloscope patterns .. or were before i decided to overhaul the scale function :D they "work good" this new way tho. as said, the concept could use a vst sdk form, as ratios like 3/8ths can produce solid tones.

and if you tweak it just right, this little sufi guy will kick his foot up, or ride a kangaroo. important considerations in a virtual synth. (nb. the scale overhaul changed the presets, so if the oscilloscope displays anything offensive, it's unintended, but take a screenshot!).
littleguy.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

2d normalisation synthesis, precedent to these 3d forms.
normalisationsynthesis.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

outer is also at 1.0 -
http://xoxos.net/vst/outer.zip

changes -
manual! (doesn't really need it)
patch bank!
q limiting (probably never an issue)
lfo updated to 60 contours
xy scope (not as pretty as on other vst)

decided to be lazy and leave it in the mono architecture instead of poly, some of the patches would sound nice with poly but backwards compatability would be lost.

not as interesting as black imo but some nice sounds (the lead for recharge)

dunno if i'm going to 1.0 'out vst' as i didn't make a lot of patches for it, and it's pretty tame (boring) for the most part, outside of its theory. will probably just kep that one quiet for my own apps until it finds its way into something else :)

just received question,
"these synths click when i play a new note"

turn off the gate sync button ;) i'm big on absolute recall, so it's often default behaviour in my patches.

Many thanks once again. Always fascinating to see your development process laid out in threads like this.

Haven't played with the new ones yet, the gate sync control is kind of the magic key to a lot of my favourite sounds in Float. Look forward to digging in.

Interesting stuff

Superior Lfo's that are a delight!

Having Lfo1 modify Lfo2 (speed) AND Lfo2 modify Lfo1 (speed) at the same time is IMO a guarantee of interest in and of itself.

It is something other programmers just don't bother to let us do.
Falcon user since 2015

xoxos wrote:2d normalisation synthesis, precedent to these 3d forms.
Where do I go to hear this?

haven't viewed it (my spanish extends to watering plants) -
http://www.futuremusic-es.com/outer-ang ... inusuales/
thank you to FM-es! :) been years since my vst have had any magazine coverage.
Where do I go to hear this?
http://xoxos.net/temp/blackout.zip
its the one called "out" (ignore the noise and mod and stereo params) for "oscillator unified theory" :hihi: - sounds about the same as basic oscs on most synths :) i'm sure there's lots of interesting things the concept leads to (it was only a month ago i was looking at your vids and thinking about this idea).

xoxos wrote:sounds about the same as basic oscs on most synths :)
uhh NO. It's not the same as basic oscs at all, and it sounds very good. Similar to other synths, yes, but that could be said about any sound. No, this oscillator is very practical. This is exactly the kind of thing Chaosfly needs to be taken to the next level. Chaosfly only has sine/tri/square/saw, that's very bad. I need a way to morph between those kinds of shapes and that's exactly what Out does. Out needs a triangle version of your algorithm in addition the current sinusoidal one.

People put wayyyy too much emphasis on filters. Between chaos generators and morphable oscillators, the filter will become just an effect next to your delay. Pure subtractive synthesis will become obsolete.

i spent 1990 living at arcosanti, "the city of the future", lots of stimulating people, paolo used to have these "minds" forums, lynn margulis hanging out for a week talking about memetics. great stuff. all very stimulating and culturally edifying with students from all over the globe. so i've always tried to share. never ignore the possibility that the forces keeping people from adopting more self potentiating culture may have more effective methods than you are currently aware of. i mean, otherwise, for example, like, i'd be cool instead of widely subjected to detraction.

the harmonics fall off on a curve, so eg. it can do a soft triangle with rounded peaks. the 'ogee' (looks like a hershey's) would of course sound like a bright triangle with less low frequencies.

i'm glad to share this method because i'd never seen it noted, as i'm happy that it demonstrates the virtues of the unaffiliated, uncorroborated mind, and perhaps the limits of the inverse :hihi: if you can make any good use of it, be the one to do it.

the implementation in the vst is double precision and uses 2x oversampling with a cheesy halfband filter good for 30dB at best. the limiting on params which increase harmonics follows the pitch to help reduce aliasing. i think the oversampling might be dropped for utilitarian applications with more configuration of the param limiting.

I just tried these things under a phase-scope for the first time, and colour me blown away. Even though you mentioned that Black was based on 3d chaos forms, I just wasn't ready for what I saw: 3-dimensional geometry that I could also rotate in 3-dimensional space.

My word...

cron wrote:I just tried these things under a phase-scope for the first time, and colour me blown away. Even though you mentioned that Black was based on 3d chaos forms, I just wasn't ready for what I saw: 3-dimensional geometry that I could also rotate in 3-dimensional space.

My word...
the basic setup in black (angle 1, angle 2) allows you to do the scale/offset stuff on an arbitrarily defined plane.*

the lastest release has a scope on the gui instead of the 3d rendering :) i forgot to do a news.

*it's funny i edited the post it said defiled.

OK, XOXOS, you're my new crush. :love:

Or I suppose, your VSTs are! These are fantastic!

I saw you posted these a few months ago, but I hadn't had taken the time to figure out what sort of black magic you were up to. Saw them in a Soundemote demo video, and I was reminded that I needed to get back to check these out.

Wicked powerful juju you put in this bottle!

Mostly been playing with Black so far, and very impressed and intrigued. Such a spare interface, yet so many modulation targets that do really useful things!

Using it this weekend in FL Studio 12.5 64 bit, and it's been rock solid in bridged mode for me so far.

I'll come back later when I've got something to show for myself. For now, I just wanted to come over here and throw some flowers at your feet.

Thanks!
Z
Just because it's insane doesn't mean it's a bad idea.
------------------------
Before visiting my Youtube channel or Soundcloud, make sure your affairs are in order. You just never know.

Return to “Instruments”