One Synth Challenge #96: Nabla by Full Bucket (Voting Over)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nabla

Had a play with ∇ last night, and pored over the manual... sounds lovely actually... pad and arp heaven. Perfect timing too: I just bought Jarre tickets last week, so it's an ideal time to study string machines! Drums'll definitely be a challenge.

@mmGhost (and other Mac users): vmware fusion has a 30-day trial, as does Windows 10 itself and several DAWs (I believe Studio One for example)... no excuse not to get your Jarre on :D With your skills, you could probably even pull something decent off in Parallels' 2-week trial. Parallels makes it super easy to install one of the Modern IE Windows builds, but you can get those separately, so they'd work for Fusion also.

(Parallels is also cheaper and lets Windows apps live as first class citizens in that awful, face-palmingly-bad Mac window manager (no bias here :wink: ), if you're into that sort of thing, but if you spent the $ for a Mac you probably don't have any left for hypervisor software...

psmacmur wrote: (Parallels is also cheaper and lets Windows apps live as first class citizens in that awful, face-palmingly-bad Mac window manager (no bias here :wink: ), if you're into that sort of thing, but if you spent the $ for a Mac you probably don't have any left for hypervisor software...
shhh, we'll have less chance to win! :hihi:

Boy, oh, boy, you've been quick to the ...what the heck was that expression again, hahaha! :oops:
Anyway, very nice! :phones:

I just started making percussion and drums with it, using pitchbending with an external envelope (MuLab module). It's outstanding how well that sounds! :hyper: ...I'm certainly getting a bit giddy.

psmacmur wrote: ...Drums'll definitely be a challenge...
Oh, I'm sure there are some guys out there: When giving to them a noise generator and an envelope, they will create - with the help of some FX of course - smashing snares and thundering kicks that blow you away... :o
We'll see soon... :wink:

As I said already, you'll be amazed how brilliant it is to create drums with this thing, once you use pitch bending! It's quite solid!
I also made a very juicy bass already, but it needs the DCoffset correction to avoid click at the end, despite using envelope with release.
It sounds great, though! Very rich! :hyper:

bjporter wrote:shhh, we'll have less chance to win! :hihi:
ha, now way!

i have a win image running on virtual box but installing a new DAW, learning it, installing ASIO for all (at least that's what sound driver everyone used to use, no idea now) is more of a time sink that i can justify for this month. i have some other projects i need to finish anyways... good excuse i guess...

I just installed ASIO4all the other night actually; it officially supports Windows 10 now! But it didn't solve my problem. You're right about all the technical nonsense of Windows being an excessive time sink though.

Thanks bjporter for choosing this synth.
I believe it was psmacmur who suggested it? (not sure)

It works perfect in linux with airwave/wine.
I love synths when 99% of it makes sense at first glance.

For drums I found indeed the pitchbend is the way to go. Actually that was what I was looking for in the manual because pitchbend did nothing. Turned I had flipped the FM switch off :duh: (see? that's that 1% ... user error ;-) )
Filter/resonance sweep looks promising too
For now it sounds like a dull 'dud' but I'll keep tinkering. I love finding that 'sweetspot' when it suddenly sounds, just right :-)

Hope to finally get something done, been ages since I've finished a track.

Will keep you posted.

rghvdberg wrote: I believe it was psmacmur who suggested it? (not sure)
It was, thank you @psmacmur :tu:

Really, I almost instantly thought this was gonna get disastrous, but instead I'm having a complete riot with this synth! Sounds across the whole spectrum can be so crisp and tight, yet totally full. It's very obedient, despite its sparse controls. I'm honestly surprised and thrilled and am having a blast indeed! :tu: :hyper:

Don't miss the "Hidden Parameters" which are not available on the UI but are available as mappable parameters. I am finding the phaser frequency and modulation to be useful expressive parameters.

Frequency
41 center frequency of the phaser

Modulation
42 modulation amount of the phaser

snare wrote:Don't miss the "Hidden Parameters" which are not available on the UI but are available as mappable parameters. I am finding the phaser frequency and modulation to be useful expressive parameters.

Frequency
41 center frequency of the phaser

Modulation
42 modulation amount of the phaser

:clap: :clap: nice find

Actually there are even more hidden parameters... check the Nabla manual, page 14. 8)

Cheers, Björn

Maybe Nabla get an update, if so: I noticed the knobs move really fast compared to other synths I use. ;)

Maybe this switch in the nabla.ini helps:

Code: Select all

[Editor]
UseLinearKnobMode = true
Cheers Björn

Return to “Instruments”