Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
This forum is sponsored by
Bass Master from Loopmasters

Heavy, speaker-shaking tones are just a few clicks away with Bass Master. This synth is totally dedicated to bass, and it's built on Loopmasters' award-winning sonic history.

Whether you are making House, Techno, Drum and Bass, Trap, Hip Hop or other electronic music styles, Bass Master's huge variety of source sounds provide the inspiration for a weighty, powerful bass tone.

Read more at www.pluginboutique.com
felis
KVRist
 
302 posts since 25 Jul, 2009

Postby felis; Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:17 am Reaktor Blocks vs. Softube Modular

What's the verdict?

There are long threads about each of them, but I'm wondering what people who have both of them think.
I've got Reaktor, but not Softube.
Last edited by felis on Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
npg.org
User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
 
12379 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:19 am Re: Reaktor vs. Softube Modular

Right now, Reaktor is more complete, especially with the new blocks. Softube has very few modules. Sound wise, I like Softube just as much and when it finally expands its module line (which looks like it may be a while) I think it will be just as good if not better than Reaktor. But right now, if you're looking at completeness, Reaktor 6 is the way to go hands down.
User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
 
29532 posts since 14 Sep, 2002, from In teh net

Postby aMUSEd; Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:22 am Re: Reaktor vs. Softube Modular

Reaktor 6 also works properly in all hosts
User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
 
12379 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:37 am Re: Reaktor vs. Softube Modular

aMUSEd wrote:Reaktor 6 also works properly in all hosts


Yeah, that's another thing. Loading 3rd party sets in some hosts is impossible because of no internal browser.
christian f.
KVRist
 
64 posts since 3 Feb, 2017

Postby christian f.; Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:50 am Re: Reaktor vs. Softube Modular

I think the Softube Modular with the Intellijel modules sounds much better than Reaktor , but I guess it depends a lot on the kind of music you make too ? Also the patching feels more intuitive to me than the blocks.
Hopefully there will be new modules soon.
User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
 
10192 posts since 24 May, 2009, from A galaxy, far far away

Postby el-bo (formerly ebow); Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:11 am Re: Reaktor vs. Softube Modular

The Softube will likely give you the more traditional modular feeling, but Reaktor is so much more than the Softube modular could ever be that I'm not even sure they are worth comparing :shrug:
User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
 
7298 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:50 am Re: Reaktor vs. Softube Modular

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:The Softube will likely give you the more traditional modular feeling, but Reaktor is so much more than the Softube modular could ever be that I'm not even sure they are worth comparing :shrug:

^THIS^ - It's like comparing a corvette with a carrier. Actually, you can look at Reaktor as an entire fleet.
Fernando (FMR)
Terrafractyl
KVRist
 
327 posts since 15 Nov, 2005, from Melbourne Australia

Postby Terrafractyl; Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:01 pm Re: Reaktor vs. Softube Modular

Yep even just the bits of Reaktor that deal with making GUI bits are probably as complicated as Softube modular.

Joking, but not really.
Hypnagog (Experimental Electronica) |
Terrafractyl (Psytrance) |Kinematic Records (Label)
User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
 
12379 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:05 pm Re: Reaktor vs. Softube Modular

Ultimately, once there are a sufficient number of modules, Softube Modular will be like putting together a Eurorack system.

Reaktor is just on a whole different level and, for most normal people, overkill as far as the development end. I for one have long given up trying to build the be all and end all ensemble using Core because it's way over my head, not to mention an ugly as sin interface, whereas Softube is, if nothing else, manageable on a less than "I need a degree in physics" level.

TLDR - I'm too stupid to use Reaktor but not so stupid that I can't use Softube.
Terrafractyl
KVRist
 
327 posts since 15 Nov, 2005, from Melbourne Australia

Postby Terrafractyl; Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:17 pm Re: Reaktor vs. Softube Modular

wagtunes wrote:Ultimately, once there are a sufficient number of modules, Softube Modular will be like putting together a Eurorack system.


I wonder though, (and I know I'm not alone here) how many new modules we will end up seeing for SM.

I have a modular at home, but I almost bought softube just for the ufold alone.... As I've wanted something like that in software for years!
Ultimately though I still have my doubts about the success of this product, and thus its longevity and attractiveness to 3rd party developers. I would love to be proved wrong about this though.
Has there been a hint of any new stuff ?
Hypnagog (Experimental Electronica) |
Terrafractyl (Psytrance) |Kinematic Records (Label)
User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
 
10192 posts since 24 May, 2009, from A galaxy, far far away

Postby el-bo (formerly ebow); Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:19 pm Re: Reaktor vs. Softube Modular

Terrafractyl wrote:Yep even just the bits of Reaktor that deal with making GUI bits are probably as complicated as Softube modular.

Joking, but not really.


But you needn't get involved with any building at all. Even at the simplest level of loading an ensemble, Reaktor offers so much more than Softube will ever be able to match.

Of course, the op might only be interested in emulating current hardware modular trends.
Terrafractyl
KVRist
 
327 posts since 15 Nov, 2005, from Melbourne Australia

Postby Terrafractyl; Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:24 pm Re: Reaktor vs. Softube Modular

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Terrafractyl wrote:Yep even just the bits of Reaktor that deal with making GUI bits are probably as complicated as Softube modular.

Joking, but not really.


But you needn't get involved with any building at all. Even at the simplest level of loading an ensemble, Reaktor offers so much more than Softube will ever be able to match.

Of course, the op might only be interested in emulating current hardware modular trends.


I wasn't suggesting he build anything at all! just sayin' its apples and oranges. We are in agreement about this!
Hypnagog (Experimental Electronica) |
Terrafractyl (Psytrance) |Kinematic Records (Label)
User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
 
12379 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:26 pm Re: Reaktor vs. Softube Modular

Terrafractyl wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Ultimately, once there are a sufficient number of modules, Softube Modular will be like putting together a Eurorack system.


I wonder though, (and I know I'm not alone here) how many new modules we will end up seeing for SM.

I have a modular at home, but I almost bought softube just for the ufold alone.... As I've wanted something like that in software for years!
Ultimately though I still have my doubts about the success of this product, and thus its longevity and attractiveness to 3rd party developers. I would love to be proved wrong about this though.
Has there been a hint of any new stuff ?


Let me put it to you this way. Softube Modular is my 4th best selling library just passing Zebra 2 today.

And honestly, I'm stunned. But apparently, this is a very popular soft synth.

Naturally, I can't predict the future, but if my sales are any indication, I think Softube Modular is going to be around for a very long time.
User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
 
10192 posts since 24 May, 2009, from A galaxy, far far away

Postby el-bo (formerly ebow); Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:38 pm Re: Reaktor vs. Softube Modular

Terrafractyl wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Terrafractyl wrote:Yep even just the bits of Reaktor that deal with making GUI bits are probably as complicated as Softube modular.

Joking, but not really.


But you needn't get involved with any building at all. Even at the simplest level of loading an ensemble, Reaktor offers so much more than Softube will ever be able to match.

Of course, the op might only be interested in emulating current hardware modular trends.


I wasn't suggesting he build anything at all! just sayin' its apples and oranges. We are in agreement about this!


I understood your the intention of your original comment, but if taken out of context it might seem to support others' contentions, here, that Reaktor is complicated. All I'm trying to do is balance that notion with a positive experience within the Reaktor universe from someone who has zero interest in building.

But, yes, we do agree :tu:
User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
 
12379 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:41 pm Re: Reaktor vs. Softube Modular

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Terrafractyl wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Terrafractyl wrote:Yep even just the bits of Reaktor that deal with making GUI bits are probably as complicated as Softube modular.

Joking, but not really.


But you needn't get involved with any building at all. Even at the simplest level of loading an ensemble, Reaktor offers so much more than Softube will ever be able to match.

Of course, the op might only be interested in emulating current hardware modular trends.


I wasn't suggesting he build anything at all! just sayin' its apples and oranges. We are in agreement about this!


I understood your the intention of your original comment, but if taken out of context it might seem to support others' contentions, here, that Reaktor is complicated. All I'm trying to do is balance that notion with a positive experience within the Reaktor universe from someone who has zero interest in building.

But, yes, we do agree :tu:


Reaktor can be very simple (insert block A into block B) It can also be extremely complex if you want it to. For those with the intelligence to handle that (not me) that's great. But that part of Reaktor isn't for everybody. And thus, what you're paying for in theory, you're not getting everything that you can out of it if you only use it at the surface level.
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments