One Synth Challenge #97: Fortune Cookie 2012 by HG Fortune (bh9090 wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

made some noise from init patch 128
play clusters (high notes) and hpf

(hi res http://imgur.com/WbDSIDm)
f-cookie-noise.zip
When reloading project I have to send a program change (in my case #128 on all tracks) other wise it would load patch 1
This might be a linux thing of course ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pilotredsun wrote:Anyone else having a bug where the oscillator sync settings reset to mode 9 when closing and reloading their project? Happens with some of my fortune cookie instance but not all of them
Yup. Very annoying. :evil:
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction though. Who knows how long it would have taken me to find the trouble maker otherwise.

Hi, a quick question on FX please. Sorry if clarified before, can't find it...

I'm messing around with filter wubs/wobbles a bit. Do these have to be within the synth or can I automate host eq for that?(or use something like Ableton auto filter which lets you modulate frequency/resonance in sync for example)?

Thanks. Fortune Cookie has real character!

zarf wrote:Hi, a quick question on FX please. Sorry if clarified before, can't find it...

I'm messing around with filter wubs/wobbles a bit. Do these have to be within the synth or can I automate host eq for that?(or use something like Ableton auto filter which lets you modulate frequency/resonance in sync for example)?

Thanks. Fortune Cookie has real character!
I think it's ok, as long as you don't go to far with it.
rule says :
The following DAW effects are NOT allowed:
- Any type of modulation effect (e.g. chorus, phaser, flanger, rotary etc.). (Please note that effects like reverb or delays that perform modulation to achieve their sound are ALLOWED, but the modulation usage must be minimal.)
- Effects that pitch the sound (e.g. pitched / granular delays, tapestops etc.)
- Any effect that transforms the sound to make them unrecognizable as being from the synth.
So, Eqs/filters are ok, modulating them is also ok.

Personally, I don't like to use filters (just eq, (I think it's the same after all :P ) ) , and I leave them static (I don't automate them, I use them just to get a kind of nice mix), there where only few ocassions where I used a filter and automated, but it was just an hp or lp , and was used for make an "introduction" of the drums. (it was on the OSC 75, minute 3:30) but I hope you get the idea.

https://soundcloud.com/antti-luode/aluode-server-room

My entry..

11 instances of Fortune Cookie..

Few limiters / one delay and some effectors as reverbs..

The FLP file is at: (38 Fortune cookie.zip)

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

I noticed someone called Snare had edited my Hy mono song and sent me a message in
Jan.. Sorry I did not check the message.. I liked the edit.. Snare had sadly deleted his or
her account so I could not respond..

Thanks for your answer J.Ruegg ....
J.Ruegg wrote: I think it's ok, as long as you don't go to far with it.
:? I don't normally do this kind of processing so would any of you please have a quick listen to this example. Have I 'gone too far with it'?

Short bit of 'bass', raw then with autofilter, then repeated:

https://soundcloud.com/zarf/zarf-bass-a ... c-question

Thanks for any thoughts folks!

Hi all, think i'm gonne give it a go again this month, checking out the fortune cookie now. :)

I was under the impression modulating outboard filter/EQ are against the rules.

This would put a filter on a synth even if it hadn't one and thus changing the sound of the original synth drastically.

Any hpf,lpf or eq should be used for making the sound sit in the mix.

rghvdberg wrote:I was under the impression modulating outboard filter/EQ are against the rules.

This would put a filter on a synth even if it hadn't one and thus changing the sound of the original synth drastically.

Any hpf,lpf or eq should be used for making the sound sit in the mix.
Thanks for the input. That makes sense as it does seem like a drastic change to the sound- but then I thought back to a lot of the more 'dubsteppy' tracks I've heard from various participants and I wondered if that was not part of how the sounds are created and it is acceptable. Or even some of the amazing lead sounds that people create sometimes...

Does nobody do that kind of stuff then, modulating filter/eq outside the synth itself?

Cheers everyone :D

zarf wrote: That makes sense as it does seem like a drastic change to the sound
But doesn't just about anything make a drastic change to the sound?
I make a drum sound.
I then put OTT on it (or any heavy compression really) and to me it sounds drastically different.
I then EQ it, now it sounds to me even more distinct from the original sound from the synth.
Add some saturation somewhere in the process and it is more different still,to me.

So I have given up trying to understand the rules for changing the sound.

The rules page has a link to suggested plug-ins that includes filters, saturation effects and other types of effects. So to me that indicates that those types of effects are allowed.
zarf wrote: Does nobody do that kind of stuff then, modulating filter/eq outside the synth itself?
I modulate synth parameters either with LFO's, audio triggers or by drawing it in quite often(isn't it why those parameters are exposed to the host so they can be adjusted?). I also do the same thing to effect parameters that I place in the FX chain(as long as they don't create glitches in the sound). So if I want the HPF in ReaEQ I set @ 2k to roam rhythmically between 1.5k and 3k I stick an LFO on it. :shrug:
I don't see where the rules distinguish between putting a static notch filter EQ on a track as acceptable but having that notch wiggle around is not acceptable. If I think it sounds better/more interesting/fits the mix better when the notch wiggles, I wiggle it.

Maybe I am completely wrong in my thinking (which will not be a unique experience) but I look at it as anything not expressly forbidden is allowed.
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

Some things mentioned here get into the gray area. Using best judgement, not pushing effects too hard works pretty well. If you think a track pushed a sound too hard, maybe contact me or the author, or knock off a point when voting (maybe controversial idea - it's kinda like "free market" voting. Someone who gets voted down, would likely want to tone down their fx next time to compete better).

The main thrust of the rules is not to have any sampling pitch shift effects, and turning sounds into something really different.

Like as something ridiculous, you can take a few instances of simple basic noise patches, and make a guitar-like sound:
https://soundcloud.com/bjporter/guitar- ... ing-pong-3

That's definitely pushing things way too far. That is something that the synth should be doing internally. So way too much effects change going on.
Last edited by bjporter on Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

@zarf and anybody that is interested.
I made a short video of a bass with nabla: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQzCsOjFh2A

Maybe it will give you some ideas.
I commented in the subbtitles, so be sure to turn them on.
Sorry for the bad quality, but I wanted to upload a little file, and even so it took me about an hour to upload it (it was 50 mb), my internet is too slow for such things...

@J.Ruegg - thanks for the video, interesting and useful

@Frostline - I know what you mean, I feel in the same boat really

@bjporter - thanks for the example, it helps (and cool sound design by the way!) I don't mean to be a pita, but can I ask you - with the specific example that I posted - would you, personally, consider that to be 'too much' and maybe 'knock off a point' in that case?

That's why I have offered a specific example - it would be really helpful for me to learn how people feel about that. If I knew that that was generally frowned upon then I would simply not do it. On the other hand, if people were like - that's fine I don't care - then I would use those techniques without worrying about it!

Many thanks for any thoughts and responses :)

zarf wrote: @bjporter - thanks for the example, it helps (and cool sound design by the way!) I don't mean to be a pita, but can I ask you - with the specific example that I posted - would you, personally, consider that to be 'too much' and maybe 'knock off a point' in that case?
Voting down a track can be a dangerous path, because you could simply down vote a track that's really well produced, even if it follows the rules, and say "it sounded too different from synth" as your casus belli. It's probably technically disqualified. We'd have people reporting it via PM, or even on the forum thread too.

Showing a video of what you did, posting presets, or signal chain, can help alleviate some of those problems, if you are doing something really out there.

@bjporter - thanks for responding...

Conclusion for now - I will simply not use filter/eq automation, and find another way :D It's not like I don't have a million other techniques to learn and explore!

Thanks

Return to “Instruments”