Old Albino user here : replacement suggestions

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks

I’m an old time Albino user and since it’s abandoned, not 64bit and getting wildly unstable in my Daw, I’m looking for a replacement.

I’ve always loved in particular its numerous digital oscillators and the silky creamy filters it offered.

Any suggestions to replace Albino, in the same vein in term of sound quality? Which synths would be the closest ones, mostly for ambient sounds, pads and drones, that kind of atmospheric sounds?

Cheers for your time guys!

Dune 2

Neon Breath wrote:Hi folks

I’m an old time Albino user and since it’s abandoned, not 64bit and getting wildly unstable in my Daw, I’m looking for a replacement.
I got Albino v3.2.1 for Windows here and this also included a 64-bit VST2 version.

Works nicely in Windows 10 64-bit and hosts like e.g. Live 9.7.1 64bit and Cubase Pro 9.0.10 so no real need for a replacement here...
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Albino 3.2.1 still seems to be available here as an official download:
http://www.linplug.com/download/fullversion.html

As mentioned above the last versions also included 64-bit plugins, at least in Windows.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

+1 for DUNE 2. It sounds gorgeous with any type of sound.

Albino is still 64-bit and works just fine here, no need for a replacement. :D

Ingonator wrote:Albino 3.2.1 still seems to be available here as an official download:
http://www.linplug.com/download/fullversion.html

As mentioned above the last versions also included 64-bit plugins, at least in Windows.
+1. Just update - you know it well. :tu:

I sold my Albino but was the version that was handled by Linplug 64 bit or was it after Rob Papen took over licensing that Albino went 64 bit ? Can an older license purchased through Linplug be registered at Rob Papen ? Can't remember. :?

Anyway I agree with the DUNE 2 recommendations (obviously) but one of the things I liked about Albino was the ability to have different Arps for each of the four layers. For that feature I would recommend luSH101 which allows different Arps for each of it's 8 Layers. It doesn't have the sonic range of DUNE 2 or Albino for that matter but does allow the Arp per Layer feature. :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

try Blue II demo from Rob Papen
Last edited by Musical Gym on Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Teksonik wrote:I sold my Albino but was the version that was handled by Linplug 64 bit or was it after Rob Papen took over licensing that Albino went 64 bit ? Can an older license purchased through Linplug be registered at Rob Papen ? Can't remember. :?
The last version from Linplug was 64-bit which i could confirm for Windows but should also be availabke for OSX. As mentioend above v3.2.1 is still available for download at Linplug. There were some updates before further updates for Albino 3 were finally discontinued back in 2014.

My Albino 3 serial seems to be from 2006 and still works in the latest version.
Ingo Weidner

EvilDragon wrote:Albino is still 64-bit and works just fine here, no need for a replacement. :D
+1

at some point you have to ask yourself, wow this sounds good. do i really need to change or upgrade anything? upgrade your sound design and mixing/mastering skills. the latest VSTis are just the same old stuff with effects added.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Do the LinPlug Discontinued Products downloads work as demo versions if you did not purchase?

layzer wrote:the latest VSTis are just the same old stuff with effects added.
There you have it devs. You can all stop coding now. Our resident plugin expert has spoken.

:lol:

Funny, I have read that synth's name so often on KVR, yet never heard it (knowingly, that is) :)
Seems it was a joint project by Rob Papen and Linplug. So, maybe their later products might sound similar, just a wild guess :)

Return to “Instruments”