Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

Yes, as long as the host allows this. Fathom will respond to all midi note events,
whether they come from a sequence on its track or routed from another device
by the host. It doesn't care where they come from.

I've played around with fathom and like where it's going. If you want some suggestions that can make your synth popular I give my suggestions n opinion.

1) wavetable synthesis with animated waves in realtime.

2). A deep arpeggiator i.e. Dune vst.

3). A way to record x,y movement n play it back while playing the synth i.e. Rob papen predator.

4) sample import i.e. Serum

5) A way to record arp or sequences in arp or step sequence i.e. Predator 2 synth

6) Animated real time filter, and spectrogram.

These are features I see people love about the unique synths out there. And commonly requested features n features I love also. Can't wait to hear your response. But add a wavetable n wavetable editor asap n arp to start n sales will increase believe me

Great Ideas!

Tomorrow will be a bug fix release, and the week after that the Wave Table Release!

1) wavetable synthesis with animated waves in realtime.
I'm working on the wave table right now (along with other user requests).
It will be more advanced than most. It will actually have two 16 frame wave tables,
one on each side with a math function operator between them,
for a total wave space (chess board) of 256 wave points.
The functions include morph, add, subtract, unipolar, bipolar and envelope distortion,
and will provide for almost any other function per user request imaginable.
Each of all 16 waves will be editable, loadable and savable.
Everything goes through an FFT for completely alias free sound.
Mouse movements use a reverse FFT for temporary super fast real time audio response.
Every dial will be modulatable of course.
Animation is a great idea, but will come later, as I want ppl to get to use this asap.
Sales are a little low now, but I think everyone is smartly waiting until this is released 4/29.

I'm also adding spectral shaping to all oscillators so that people can sharpen
the waveform in the upper partials, or smooth it.

2). A deep arpeggiator i.e. Dune vst.
This is super critical for marketing but will require some work.
I want to catch up on bugs and user features before this.
I would say by June, maybe sooner.
I have not mentioned this before but I played classical piano from age 5,
and when I do an arpeggiator its going to surprise ppl.
It will have all the standard patterns, plus actual rock and classical composer patterns,
as well as a note input and slick gui so you can do what ever you want.
I will use an internal linked list so the steps will have no limit

3). A way to record x,y movement n play it back while playing the synth i.e. Rob papen predator.
Good idea!

4) sample import i.e. Serum
I will not be adding a sampler until later this year, as that is a pandora's box of features,
however I will add the ability to load any wav file into the wave draw editor,
or even drag and drop, that is not too hard to do, actually easy.
Also very soon there will be a wave editor that uses the same points mechanism
as the envelope editor, I just have to rig it up, not hard.

5) A way to record arp or sequences in arp or step sequence i.e. Predator 2 synth
Yes, the arp will do that.

6) Animated real time filter, and spectrogram.
Also a good idea, i will have to experiment with the real time side of that.
Hmmm, spectrogram, never thought of that, I use Ableton's, I will consider that.

Thank!

FathomSynth wrote:I will upload Fathom 32 Bit for the poly paid version today.
Looking to buy but feeling a bit nervous about the 32 bit version. The website still says it's 64 bit when you go to the "buy" page. Is the 32 bit version of Fathom Pro available now, and will it keep up with the 64 bit version in terms of development (version numbers and the like)?

Sorry if I sound a bit bossy. I appreciate that maintaining a 32 bit version is more work for you that eats into your development time. No support for 32 bit is understandable and absolutely fine by me, so long as it broadly works. :)

Cheers!

FathomSynth wrote: DH: You are a genius!
Glad if I'm any help :tu:
FathomSynth wrote: 3). A way to record x,y movement n play it back while playing the synth i.e. Rob papen predator.
Good idea!
Personally I like more of what Wiggle has to offer. You can save a snapshot of settings to each 4 corners and morph between them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0lXMItDWvk

DH that's a great looking synth, and its a cool idea of being able to take snap shots.
On Fathom you can put unlimited parameters on the each XY axis so it is just as powerful,
but not as simple and easy as snapshots.

Cron, sorry for the delay on the 32 bit pro version, I will be putting that up for sale this weekend with the release.
And yes, the 32 bit version will always have the exact same features.
Its takes no extra effort to build it.
The only warning is that I currently have no way to test it.

That being said, we have several 32 bit mono users and they have had no problems with it,
other than 32 bit machines tending to be slower and for polyphony Fathom really needs the
cpu cycles of a more current machine.

Also a general note on features. I use a lot of user suggestions. However, I have a strict policy for myself
of never looking at a competing product when doing a feature. That might sound strange, but
I don't ever want Fathom to simply be a copy of another synth. Also I think if another synth
like Serum or Rapid put a lot of effort into, say for instance, 3D wave graphics, that makes their
synth special and they should have the privilege of marketing that without me copying it.
SW Synths is extremely competitive market but I still want Fathom to have an amicable relationship
with our competitors. So that's why I try to make its features really do their own thing.

FathomSynth wrote:Yes, as long as the host allows this. Fathom will respond to all midi note events,
whether they come from a sequence on its track or routed from another device
by the host. It doesn't care where they come from.
Great, it would hang before and not terminate note, so that is good news.

I like all the creative ideas people have, and i love how you, Everett, is answering to them all.

I really see potential in this synth. A feature request I don't think anyone have had yet is drawable filters, like LinPlug Spectral, and why stop there, how about drawable LFOs? And of course, the option to save those.

In Image-Line Harmor you can also import a waveform, or even a complete wavefile, and use it as pretty much anything,
Last edited by starflakeprj on Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

FathomSynth wrote:..makes their
synth special and they should have the privilege of marketing that without me copying it.
SW Synths is extremely competitive market but I still want Fathom to have an amicable relationship
with our competitors. So that's why I try to make its features really do their own thing.
I really like you :hug: :tu:

I really like the oscillator sections. Is the osc always resetting on note on or are they free running?

Thanks. Oscillators of course can either retrigger or free running.
For every oscillator go to the Detune page and click the Trigger toggle to either "Free" or "Note".

Drawable LFO's are coming soon and so is wav file import.
Yes its possible to draw filters but that will take some research.

If I buy the synth now. Do I got to keep paying for updates?

No. Not unless its a massive new release with some significant feature like a sampler or arpeggiator.
Bug fix releases will be free, and feature releases maybe a minimal fee like a dollar,
for those who already bought the product.

But please always keep your purchase email receipt, Don't delete it,
otherwise I will have no way of knowing that you bought the product.

I need to update the web site to remind people of this.

I also like where this is going and how great a dev you are. Too bad there's no mac version.
Sniffing corks hurts my brain

I have good news for Mac users.
My code can easily be cross compiled natively for Mac XCode.
In the near future I will be building a Mac development system to do this.
Theoretically its possible to do so with a VMWave type layer on the PC,
but this is complex and an audio VST has extreme real time constraints,
so its actually just easier to buy a Mac.
But I will need to do extensive testing before the release,
so that is still a couple months out.
I already have some Mac beta testers lined up to help with this.

FathomSynth wrote:Cron, sorry for the delay on the 32 bit pro version, I will be putting that up for sale this weekend with the release.
And yes, the 32 bit version will always have the exact same features.
Its takes no extra effort to build it.
The only warning is that I currently have no way to test it.

That being said, we have several 32 bit mono users and they have had no problems with it,
other than 32 bit machines tending to be slower and for polyphony Fathom really needs the
cpu cycles of a more current machine.
Fantastic! Many thanks. My machine is only 3 years old (heavily overclocked i5), but stuck with a 32 bit DAW (on a 64 bit OS) purely because there are more 32 bit only plugs than 64 only. Beginning to see 64 bit only plugs creep into the market though. I had it in my mind that I'd be using loads of the ancient freeware plugs that I used to use, but as it turns out there's only really xoxos' plug-ins, old and new, that I still use in the 32 bit only world. My next machine (or wipe/reinstall) will be 64 bit with a dedicated xoxos bridge.

Thanks once again for kindly building a 32 bit version. Will check the buy page over the coming days.

Return to “Instruments”