Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

Does Fathom support host automation?
In Logic when I open the automation menu all of the available controls just have the generic names "parameter x" (I believe it was 1 through 27). Since I have no way to know what these parameters do, I tried to use real time automation in latch mode to see what parameter would be affected. I tried to modulate the filter cutoff but after recording, no automation was recorded.

Fathom Host BPM Automation is now fixed (in upcoming release)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjIVQMkXfKM

The guide has a section on host automation.

FathomSynth wrote:Fathom Host BPM Automation is now fixed (in upcoming release)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjIVQMkXfKM

The guide has a section on host automation.
I knew I should've looked there first.
Anyway thanks, I'll check it out.

FathomSynth wrote:Fathom Host BPM Automation is now fixed (in upcoming release)
:party: :harp: :hail:
Please let it be true. :pray:
Looking forward to the upcoming release.
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

Introducing Envelope Legato
EnvelopeGlideOn.png
Have you ever wanted a smooth legato preset with a slow attack of the ADSR on the first note of a phrase in both the Volume and other modulations, but for overlapping legato notes you want to leave out the attack phase and start in the middle of the envelope to get rid of the "thwap thwap thwap" between notes.

We'll now you can do it in the next release with the new envelope Glide On line.

Works just like the Note Off toggle line except you can put it anywhere in the envelope before the Note Off line and the envelope will start from that point for legato notes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

While preparing my project for the highly anticipated tempo automation I ran into a slight issue with host pitch octave automation.
Effect is more noticeable in my project, possibly because it is over a longer duration than my example below.
While awaiting upload and processing to finish I thought it might be related to partials being on the default 64 so I raised it to 400 and effect is still there.

https://youtu.be/ly1Uth8BAIw
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

Yes, another good video, (which makes debugging so much easier).

At first I thought the problem was I was not interpolating the values from the host across each sample block.

EDIT: No, it has nothing to do with the blocks, I'm rounding the incoming host values to the dial click precision which for that dial is every semitone, which is why Pitch Note automates perfectly smooth and Pitch Octave has the steps.

Fixed.

Hi all,

I have finally uploaded the script that can be used to convert (multicycle) wav files to Fathom's wavetable format. More information can be found in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=501647#p7034180

Kind regards,

BlitBit
Passed 303 posts. Next stop: 808.

BlitBit, Thanks, Brilliant Work!

Fathom Version 2.9.4 is now released!

Fixed Bug 0098 Signal flow object mode cannot be changed in Mac Sierra.
Fixed Bug 0099 Detune save default not being loaded for new plugin track.
Fixed Bug 0100 LFO ADSR Release phase frequency not modulating
Fixed Bug 0103 Solidtrax Preset button stops working after select a modulation.
Fixed Bug 0126 Timing is off at note start if modulate LFO Period with Envelope.
Fixed Bug 0127 Highlight modulation slat when mouse is over target dial.
Fixed Bug 0129 Modulator list should show if each is used or not used.
Fixed Bug 0130 Noise volume does not follow note velocity.
Fixed Bug 0132 Mulab CPU goes up after last note if master EQ enabled.
Fixed Bug 0133 Reverb sounds different after preset loaded if decay set to zero.
Fixed Bug 0134 RSH cycle period is off by one when applied to wave index.
Fixed Bug 0135 Added channel pressure as modulator along side after touch.
Fixed Bug 0137 Noise volume is zero for oscillator copied with ADSR on noise.
Fixed Bug 0138 Envelope is not aligned to song if Period is host automated.
Fixed Bug 0139 Improved realism of Reverb at low values of Distance and Decay.
Fixed Bug 0140 Wave tables cannot be loaded in Mac Sierra.
Fixed Bug 0141 Added Visual Studio build ID to the GUI version string.
Fixed Bug 0142 Host slows down with CPU overload if BPM is automated in real time.
Fixed Bug 0143 Envelope segment type cannot be changed in Mac OSX.
Fixed Bug 0144 Browser preset path not being saved in Mac OSX.
Fixed Bug 0145 Pitch Octave dial automation is performed in semitone steps.
Fixed Bug 0146 Make wave table dials animate for modulation if playing live.

FathomSynth wrote: Fixed Bug 0142 Host slows down with CPU overload if BPM is automated in real time.
Much improved but still extremely CPU intensive. :(

https://youtu.be/CTs10I58QZs

As shown at end of video, test with latest release.

Frostline, could you please save the Fathom preset for the video track 4 and send it to me.

There is still a jump in CPU when the BPM is automated and there is nothing that be changed about this.

The bug before was that Fathom was attempting to re-calculate all the modulation buffers every time the BPM changed which obviously brings everything to a stop. And the fix was that it no longer does this.

So to understand the CPU jump here's how it works. Normally when the BPM and envelope period are constant we calculate a large buffer of modulator values for each modulator and then also for each modulated parameters. This takes up memory but it is very fast at run time because every modulation can be executed with a single table fetch per sample.

If either the period or bpm is automated and constantly changing it becomes impossible to pre-calculate the buffers before hand because the amount of change in each parameter per sample is constantly changing as the period or bmp changes.

So therefore, Fathom internally goes into real time mode. In this mode the delta per sample is calculated and the modulation buffers are calculated each sample block in real time. But this requires going into each modulator envelope every sample and asking it "what is your amplitude value for this time value", which requires executing some code inside each envelope segment every sample. This takes much more CPU time than a single table fetch which is proven by your Video.

When I tested the fix I made absolutely certain that there is no unnecessary buffer calculation when the BPM is automated, but I don't think there is much I can do about the extra CPU in real time mode.

If you are going to modulate the BPM my guess is you may have to bounce each track one at a time to an audio track and then slide the midi track to the right out side your host transport loop. I do this all the time in Ableton if I run out of CPU and it does not really take much time.

However, just to be sure, I will run my debugger with your preset for the video track 4 and make sure nothing bad is happening in the code to bump the CPU.

I will look into the possibility, if the BPM is automated, to keeping the modulation buffer and interpolating over it as the bpm changes, which would not be as fast as a single table fetch, but would be somewhat faster than the current design. So I've made a note to look at this.

FathomSynth wrote:Frostline, could you please save the Fathom preset for the video track 4 and send it to me.
It is a factory preset so you should have it. :wink:
Celestial Arp Ethereal
All the presets in the example of the bpm automation are factory presets to ensure it was not something in my patch creation causing the issue.
Names of all 4 presets are visible in the first video I made on this.

Could be my CPU is just not up to the task.

Glide issue in 2.9.4:

When I add an envelope to modify volume on anything.. it seems to disable any Glide settings I had set up, and sounds like it just turns it off (even though it's still clearly enabled).

One of the patches I previously created, and am using currently using in my OSChallenge track.. just had this happen.

Deleting the ADSR modules on all the OSC Volumes brought back the Glide function on each. Re-adding them, or just creating new ones triggers the problem again. Tweaking the new "Glide On" ADSR settings didn't help.

What's really strange.. I've got another (older) patch, that has a similar ADSR attached to Volume, and the glide function works fine in 2.9.4.

So, I have no idea why that particular patch works ok.. but anything newer just chokes with any ADSR Volume tweaking. I'm not exactly sure which version I created the older working patch in.. but it might have been the very first OSC-poly specific one you released. So maybe something you changed since then introduced the issue.

(Studio One Pro ver.3 - Windows 7)

Yes, I broke it, I will fix it and update the release immediately.

FathomSynth wrote:Yes, I broke it, I will fix it and update the release immediately.
Cool. :tu:

Also.. can't seem to get the whole "Glide On" thing to work at all. Still plays everything preceding it's placement in the ADSR.

I might be doing something wrong though... I realize that feature is still in its working stages. Really appreciate the addition of it. A nice substitution and tweak-able upgrade, from a standard monophonic mode.

Return to “Instruments”