Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

Will the licence work on Mac when you get chance to port it, or will you be doing a kvr members special still for that ?
I do use Windows as my main rig but only buy cross platform because my mobile set up is MacOS.
Cheers for any thoughts on this.
Duh

Yes, the license will work on the Mac Release.
At some point I may need to start charging a little for version upgrades,
but that won't be for a while yet.

Do you mean major versions like version 1.xx to 2.0, or lower incremental versions?

It's not fair to charge for bug fixes, but maybe for major features.
I'm still thinking about this and working it out.
Maybe bug fix releases will be 1.0.X for free,
and features will be 1.X.0 for a small fee.
I'm not sure yet.

Its a modular synth, i would consider IOS style IAPs "Buy multi sample module for $10" sort of thing.
Duh

That's a good idea from a business perspective.

But I personally find it somewhat troubling when I go to a website to buy a synth
and it comes in separate pieces and I have to think about which components I need.

I always have greater respect for companies where you pay one price and get the whole thing.

But what you are saying I think applies very well to sound and preset packages.

I think you are kidding yourself, this is the eurorack generation, add on modules is a huge market.

Buy once get everything is better for me, but we are used to developers disappearing quick fast nowadays because they get little money from a niche market like ours.
Duh

Wow, yes so true. I don't want to be one of the ones that disappears!

Since we're on the topic, let me ask you (and anyone else) a critical question I'll need to answer soon.

Let's say hypothetically Fathom had the following:

Intel Vector SIMD instructions in the audio path for massive Polyphony.
MAC OSX Version with all features.
Pro Tools AAX Compatible.
Arpeggiator.
A great analog valve distortion effect.

What would you expect to pay for it?
In the sense that you would still consider it a great deal?

To be honest it is hard to say because it is modular, so you can look at it every single day no matter how many modules you add, and think it needs xxx module.

I would probably say $50 max one off for it to be a great deal, and even then it is asking a lot considering Reaktor is routinely $99 at NI, Personally i would say $20 and do IAPs for a couple of dollars per module, then it becomes impulse buys continuously.
Duh

Might be no harm to remember that a lot of people will have purchased v1 because of the sale price. For the money, it's been a bit of fun for me but I won't be looking to advance to a more fully featured product. Certainly not anything that's going to chew even more CPU.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

We certainly don't want you to disappear either!!!

Pricing is always a critical question of course. it's a crowded market and visibility is a huge issue. I still say getting yourself linked as MPE compatible with Roli, Eigenlabs, etc. would be a great idea especially in this early period of MPE development. PS - Got my Roli Rise 25. Amazing playing experience!

As for pricing, you are in that stage where building a following is critical so $100 pricing is not yet reasonable. Even u-he has Ace for $69 and everybody knows u-he. So during this fanbase-building period I would say $50 or under is the way to go.

Bungle also makes a good point for lower pricing. There is much to be said for staying in the impulse buy range.

In any case I'll be happy to pay for upgrades when you think it's time.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback. I tend to agree. Given the current features and relative sound quality,
it needs to stay in the "impulse" range.

I'm flattered anyone mentioned $50 at all, but I think that's a bit high. I also think $20 is a bit low.

Keep mind my original question assumes that the CPU issue is completely resolved,
so given that, I was thinking around $25. This is all hypothetical now,
since I'm not going to bump the price until it has more to offer.

I also think contracting some better presets from a third party, a user's manual,
and a better video, would go a long way.

I've had to learn a lot about marketing lately. The challenge is there are so many great synths
out recently, Avenger, Serum, Rapid, LuSH, Diva, Sylenth, etc, getting someone to spend time
with the deeper features in Fathom, like wave draw or wave table, requires some "candy"
to pull them into using it in the first place, and that's just not going to happen without better
factory presets.

Sweetness!
Thanks for another update! I'm using the free mono version right now, but I'm loving the direction this thing has gone in such a short time so I intend on purchasing Fathom after I get paid again.

Indeed presets make all the difference. It's unfortunate but true. Most players aren't programmers and if they don't hear some very cool, unique sounds in the factory presets they are going to say a synth sounds like garbage, blah, blah, blah.

Few if any synths are actually bad but they are all different to be sure. Unfortunately the lacking imaginations of those who so quickly post bad reviews can kill a good synth.

I own an excellent hardware example. The Roland GAIA. The pros who actually knew how to program their own patches liked it. The synth kiddies who judge only by presets trashed it because the presets were generic and lackluster. It's actually the most approachable, fun synth I've used in a long time and sounds great IF you dig in, figure it out and create your own sounds with it. If they had hired Daniel Fisher at Sweetwater to do the presets they would have sold many more.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 1ZRUOIpzZQ
Last edited by ScottAxxe on Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Just don't make your prices ridiculously low either. People lose respect.

Me, I like the idea of expanders. I think more 'your work' than 'my wallet'.

So what you need is careful planning. Like you already did. What do you consider to be a good basic Fathom synth?
Keep your price right now the way it is, and this for as long as developement goes. But mention already that when the basic Fathom will be ready, the price will go up. And from then on, when the basic Fathom is ready, work with expansion modules.

This would provide you with some income source over time.
Windows 7, Cubase 9.5 and some extra plug-ins | Takamine EN-10C and PRS Mira

Return to “Instruments”