Why are computer VSTs/plugins so much more expensive than iPad apps?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was searching for a sequencer and ended up watching a demo of the Fugue Machine for iPad. Very cheap of course since it's an app.

If I want to buy a computer plugin of a sequencer, I'm looking at $50 to $100.

Why are apps so cheap?

Mac users spend more money than PC users on average, I guess.
Btw there are a lot of good free plugins.

http://www.vst4free.com
I never make mistakes; I just blame others.

Rappo Clappo wrote:Mac users spend more money than PC users on average, I guess.
1) What has that to do with the question?
PCs (assuming you mean Windows OS) werent mentioned.

2) What makes you think Mac users spend more than PC users?
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
Rappo Clappo wrote:Mac users spend more money than PC users on average, I guess.
1) What has that to do with the question?
PCs (assuming you mean Windows OS) werent mentioned.

2) What makes you think Mac users spend more than PC users?
1) Oh I thought VSTs were a PC thingy.
2) Well, if people actually buy a lot of plugs things get cheaper, I guess.
I never make mistakes; I just blame others.

1.-The market for apps is bigger, developers sell more stuff and price it so people will impulse buy.

2.- Because people working on desktop computers (either mac or pc) on a DAW tend to make more "serious" work and are willing to pay more for a tool that will provide much more use.
dedication to flying

iPAD Pro now is as powerful, if not more powerful, than a regular desktop computer 5 years ago.

With DAWs like Auria or Cubasis, iPADs are not just toys.

So the low prices of apps, show how vastly overpriced VSTs are.

I mean, a regular VST can be so small that it could have fitted on a couple of 1.44 diskettes. Yet users gladly pay $100 or more for that.

VST is like CD's. Vastly overpriced when introduced, but with a promise that they would come down in price over time.

That hasn't really happend.

The app market show how prices should be these days though.

Numanoid wrote:iPAD Pro now is as powerful, if not more powerful, than a regular desktop computer 5 years ago.

With DAWs like Auria or Cubasis, iPADs are not just toys.

So the low prices of apps, show how vastly overpriced VSTs are.

I mean, a regular VST can be so small that it could have fitted on a couple of 1.44 diskettes. Yet users gladly pay $100 or more for that.

VST is like CD's. Vastly overpriced when introduced, but with a promise that they would come down in price over time.

That hasn't really happend.

The app market show how prices should be these days though.
No, it doesn't show how overpriced they are. It shows how foolish developers are for racing to the bottom of the market. There's a reason many of them are part-time businesses -- they aren't savvy enough to run them full-time.

Numanoid wrote:iPAD Pro now is as powerful, if not more powerful, than a regular desktop computer 5 years ago.
BS. My desktop is roughly 5 years now, and I would like an iPad Pro match its performance :hihi:

And if Cubasis would really be enough, why would people spend money on Cubase Pro?

Prices have nothing to do with that. It's just the fact that markets and market laws don't as tehy were supposed to do (and many economists believed they would). As long as developers can charge people what they are charging, they will keep it. What amazes me, is how the same developers dare to charge like several timeews more for basically the same app when they port it over from iPad to OS X / Windows.

This just seems that the market laws sare not perfect, and markets don't auto regulate themselves.

Anyway, the best VIs and applications (DAWs, for example) available for desktop computers have no counterpart on iPad.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:And if Cubasis would really be enough, why would people spend money on Cubase Pro?
Stupidity I guess, the need for overkill.

The DAWs on iPAD reminds me when affordable 4 track machines started to appear at the start of the 80's

Everybody thought then as now they need a big studio or Pro Tools to make music, but Springsteen after having recorded Nebraska on 4 track, to use as demo for studio recording, actually went back to and released the 4 track recordings.

Goes to show that less is more.

The app market is vastly different than the PC market (which is inclusive of both Mac and Windows OS).

There is a different expectation from users on iOS about the price of apps, vs the expectation of users on PCs which also plays a major part in why certain plugins, DAWs and other tools are not being developed for iOS... as in its not cost effective for *some* established developers to build for iOS.

I'm more curious about what this means for the future of software development. We might be quickly approaching a generational gap among user expectation for software and the corresponding prices.

KBSoundSmith wrote:There's a reason many of them are part-time businesses -- they aren't savvy enough to run them full-time.
So Props aint savvy enough to be a full time business?

https://itunes.apple.com/app/thor-polys ... 95946?mt=8

elxsound wrote:The app market is vastly different than the PC market (which is inclusive of both Mac and Windows OS).
No doubt the users in the app market are more of the penny pinching kind, than desktop users.

yehboy1 wrote:I was searching for a sequencer and ended up watching a demo of the Fugue Machine for iPad. Very cheap of course since it's an app.

If I want to buy a computer plugin of a sequencer, I'm looking at $50 to $100.

Why are apps so cheap?
The market dictates the price. [/thread]

Numanoid wrote:
KBSoundSmith wrote:There's a reason many of them are part-time businesses -- they aren't savvy enough to run them full-time.
So Props aint savvy enough to be a full time business?

https://itunes.apple.com/app/thor-polys ... 95946?mt=8
This to me does not make a good argument for lower prices.

Companies with other flagship software (developed for PCs) can afford to dip into the mobile market, but could the afford to only focus on the mobile market? Currently, the answer is most likely not.

To keep the boat floating, devs like Adobe and others introduced the time-share plug

Paying a small amount per month, rather than one big payment, seems more enticing, even though a user will end up paying a lot more over time.

Return to “Instruments”