Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
This forum is sponsored by
Radio : Air. Play.

Use Radio as a plugin within your DAW when you are feeling creative. Radio records the last 30 seconds of any streamed material. Once you hear something you like, select it, save it and drag it into your DAW. Finding new samples to inspire your music has never been done like this before!

The onboard FX section lends Radio the authentic air of real consumer equipment, with 24 processors to make your feed sound like it's coming through a genuine tube radio speaker, car stereo, phone or another device.

Radio stations focus on diversity, which will keep you coming back for new inspirational material.

Read more at www.pluginboutique.com
Ridan
KVRian

937 posts since 10 Dec, 2014, from one rocky mountain to another

Postby Ridan; Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:13 pm Re: Synths you regret buying

mutantdog wrote:No doubt it's been mentioned already but I'd say TheMangle. Bought in good faith during its beta-phase only for it to become abandonware and the dev to go AWOL. I've never actually used it beyond tinkering around for the odd 10 minutes.

but what's wrong with it though? I bought it during the same time period and still use it for certain atmospheres and fx, haven't had any problems or glitches with its features. At least not as of yet. Thought it to be a pretty amazing tool for it being so dirt cheap.
wagtunes
KVRAF

11012 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:27 pm Re: Synths you regret buying

Ridan wrote:
mutantdog wrote:No doubt it's been mentioned already but I'd say TheMangle. Bought in good faith during its beta-phase only for it to become abandonware and the dev to go AWOL. I've never actually used it beyond tinkering around for the odd 10 minutes.

but what's wrong with it though? I bought it during the same time period and still use it for certain atmospheres and fx, haven't had any problems or glitches with its features. At least not as of yet. Thought it to be a pretty amazing tool for it being so dirt cheap.

Yeah, while there's no support and it's basically been abandoned, I still use it and love it and have no problems with it. It's still one of the best granular synths out there. In fact, it has a more powerful engine than Padshop Pro by miles.
mutantdog
KVRian

1478 posts since 21 Sep, 2007, from The Infinite Void

Postby mutantdog; Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:35 pm Re: Synths you regret buying

Nothing wrong with it as such, for £20 (or whatever it cost) i can't really complain about the quality. It's more about the way it went from beta to abandoned that annoys me.
Subversia - Wrench EP out now.
Soundcloud - Twitter - Facebook
Bodhisan
KVRist

421 posts since 7 Aug, 2015, from H2O

Postby Bodhisan; Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:38 pm Re: Synths you regret buying

wagtunes wrote:
Ridan wrote:

Yeah, while there's no support and it's basically been abandoned, I still use it and love it and have no problems with it. It's still one of the best granular synths out there. In fact, it has a more powerful engine than Padshop Pro by miles.

+1
HcDoom
KVRian

848 posts since 18 Feb, 2012

Postby HcDoom; Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:16 am Re: Synths you regret buying

Steinberg PadShop Pro...I never clicked with it! There are better alternatives out there sound and possibility wise. And considering its extremely complicated to sell the license, better avoid it overall.
Distorted Horizon
KVRian

917 posts since 17 Jan, 2017

Postby Distorted Horizon; Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:46 am Re: Synths you regret buying

Zexila wrote:As title suggest. :tu:

With a little thinking, all of them actually. I've spent thousands on vst synths and you can add more if FX are counted too.

Though they've taught me ALOT, I've used some of them ALOT and they can do alot.. Sorry, ALOT.

Still, if I had the knowledge I have now, I wouldn't buy a single vsti (okay maybe synthmaster but nothing else).

I'd buy few carefully selected FX, analog polysynth and -monosynth and something digital, maybe Blofeld or Virus.

That'd be all I needed. If I could (i.e. if some weren't NFR), I'd sell all my vst synths and buy those hardware thingys I just mentioned.
chk071
KVRAF

15137 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:16 am Re: Synths you regret buying

HcDoom wrote:Steinberg PadShop Pro...I never clicked with it! There are better alternatives out there sound and possibility wise. And considering its extremely complicated to sell the license, better avoid it overall.

On the other hand, granular synths are pretty rare, and Padshop Pro really seems like the most intuitive option for me... i got the "normal" Padshop free in Cubase Artist, and upgrade to Pro for 10 €. I think i really can't complain about that. Haven't really used it much, but, seemed straight forward, and good sounding enough to me.
Romantique Tp
KVRist

264 posts since 2 Nov, 2015

Postby Romantique Tp; Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:36 am Re: Synths you regret buying

Padshop is excellent.
_al_
KVRist

179 posts since 28 Oct, 2014

Postby _al_; Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:15 pm Re: Synths you regret buying

Wusik workstation thingy.
never seen such a hunk of junk
vata44
KVRAF

1549 posts since 29 Jul, 2007

Postby vata44; Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:54 pm Re: Synths you regret buying

Sampletank 3
Dimension Pro
Rapture Pro

Every synth app for my iPad.
DrGonzo
KVRAF

1988 posts since 23 Oct, 2000, from A Swede Living in Budapest

Postby DrGonzo; Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:43 am Re: Synths you regret buying

werp wrote:elektron stuff. the analog drive which is a huge, noisy heap of crap plus the octatrack and rytm. The last two work in ways that my brain just can’t deal with. as for the pedal, the reviewers failed to mention how noisy the damn thing is with the gain turned up a bit. I still have all three... :-(

Didn't know the Analog Drive was that noisy.

Re the Elektron stuff. I'm having this really weird bipolar relationship with them. Sometimes I love them to bits and sometimes I'm just annoyed by them, so they never get traded out of my studio. Right now I am back in love with the Octatrack and started eyeing buying a second one :dog: :lol:

/C
Plughugger Sound Design
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Roland S750/DJ70 - Ensoniq ASR10/EPSm
CrystalWizard
KVRian

504 posts since 10 Jul, 2008, from north sf bay, ca, usa

Postby CrystalWizard; Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:49 am Re: Synths you regret buying

All of them, every single vsti. They all have So many problem (just watch KVR) i can't make anything (music or sound designs) with them. :hihi:
Kidding, i like them all, i only dumped one softsynth since 2002. Some have come and gone but not puposely.
gadgets an gizmos...make noise
http://gardenofsensualdelight.com/DBAR.html apologies for broken links, a contruction team is on the way
https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness
voidhead23
KVRer

10 posts since 5 Jan, 2018, from Beijing, PRC

Postby voidhead23; Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:59 am Re: Synths you regret buying

Distorted Horizon wrote:
Zexila wrote:As title suggest. :tu:

With a little thinking, all of them actually. I've spent thousands on vst synths and you can add more if FX are counted too.

Though they've taught me ALOT, I've used some of them ALOT and they can do alot.. Sorry, ALOT.

Still, if I had the knowledge I have now, I wouldn't buy a single vsti (okay maybe synthmaster but nothing else).

I'd buy few carefully selected FX, analog polysynth and -monosynth and something digital, maybe Blofeld or Virus.

That'd be all I needed. If I could (i.e. if some weren't NFR), I'd sell all my vst synths and buy those hardware thingys I just mentioned.

This. Except i'd replace Synthmaster with Zebra and Dagger (and no hardware...at least for a while).

i've gotten plenty of use out of many of these, and, as far as i'm concerned, they're fantastic instruments (except the CS-80v), but seriously...don't need them and never really did. They are:

TAL Bassline
Arturia CS-80v
u-he Bazille
Madrona Labs Aalto
Gforce Oddity
XILS 3

i'm still on the fence about Hive, Repro and Massive...
Last edited by voidhead23 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
martinjuenke
KVRian

1220 posts since 28 Dec, 2015, from Germany

Postby martinjuenke; Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:05 am Re: Synths you regret buying

HIVE is far more versatile and multidimensional than recognized by most users. To play with it was really a positive surprise for me...
Music was my first love ...
atmospheric electronic music
http://www.mrtnjnk.bandcamp.com
http://www.trenzendenz.bandcamp.com
dandezebra
KVRian

519 posts since 21 Dec, 2013, from USA

Postby dandezebra; Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:07 am Re: Synths you regret buying

martinjuenke wrote:HIVE is far more versatile and multidimensional than recognized by most users. To play with it was really a positive surprise for me...

Yup!
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments