Synths you regret buying

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

benheman wrote:Thing with these synth softwares... the designers are sometimes pretty good at showing off to you what their products can do, through all those skillfully made Demo Songs and detailed display of the products features.

You hear those demo songs, and you could "feel yourself right there"! So you start planning on buying them. After you buy them, if you ever did, you realize it takes some expertise and knowledge of the programs to make them work for you! You may end up kicking them to the shelf to gather dust, or resell them for cheap. Meanwhile you wait for the next big one that "really works" for you!!

So you see my friends, we have no one to blame but ourselves. I think the less we buy, the better we become at using those that we already have.

Just make sure you REALLY love the sound, timbre, programming architecture and GUI layout design...and probably the name brand, if you care, and then buy a couple of them. After that, just have fun!
Just as bad, I've bought a few that after writing with them, came to the conclusion that it sounded too much like the demos and realized that certain synths seem to almost guide me into their rut. And that it really didn't fit the mix using it any other way for me. So while I actually loved many of these in sound and play-ability, I simply had to get rid of them as an unnecessary distraction. So I don't regret buying them but perhaps regret not finding any use for them befitting what I had set out to do with them.

And again, what I regret is having to deal with certain developers and companies when the plugin causes problems they are aware of, but just don't care to address.

My regret list:
Dust (too buggy)
PadshopPro (one dimensional and buggy on Mac)
Madrona (too unmusical and artificial)
CrusherX (too unmusical and no selling possible)
Xfer Serum (not really better than Massive and NFR)
Xhun (32bit and no end)
FXpansion Bloom, Maul, Etch (bought it and then discontinued)
Surreal Machines (no selling possible)
Cableguys Curve (totally eratic)
to be continued...

martinjuenke wrote: CrusherX (too unmusical and no selling possible)
:o
i use to make some cool stuff with an older version.
was great for glitching beats and such.
loading four identical sample loops and messing with time/pitch and filtering.

never really used it as a synth as such, more a live player that id record then cut the bits that worked out.

hopefully that can give you at least some pleasures with it, remove a little regret :)

martinjuenke wrote:My regret list:
Dust (too buggy)
Madrona (too unmusical and artificial)
to be continued...
I have not had a lot of trouble with Dust - crashes from time to time but no more than Kontakt does (in Reaper).
NI Komplete - I really only use Kontakt (and the Reaktor player), I would love to be able to sell it and just have the Reaktor player and Kontakt but I think I am stuck with Komplete now
My biggest regret is probably Jamstix - too hard to use for me and it can't be sold. In fact most anything that can't be sold annoys me. I don't buy much at all anymore that is not easy for license transfer.
Last edited by woggle on Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

From the recent purchases that I use the less, is Softube Modular.

I can't say I regret buying it, but the same happened to me with Reaktor. I don't find myself engaged in making a patch for hours. I wanted to be that nerdy synthesist but I'm not enjoying it as much as making music.

There are some good presets in Modular, but I end using either The Legend or Korg Odyssey for the analogue feel. Although, the character is different, but in the end what fits more is what counts.

Bump1 wrote:
Serum: idk why I bought it....it's powerful and it's flexible...but I don't really LOVE the filters and one thing I hate about it is it sounds TOO big...TOO fat
:nutter:

martinjuenke wrote: FXpansion Bloom, Maul, Etch (bought it and then discontinued)
Oh damn, strange, just a couple days ago i saw it in their shop as actual products, and even planned to buy Bloom (watch sale) :lol: .
Btw You still able to sell it to another user ? (transfer works ?)

martinjuenke wrote: CrusherX (too unmusical
Hm, btw really strange to hear that (or rather seemed strange decision to own it then). Moreover, there is demo version yet.

benheman wrote:Thing with these synth softwares... the designers are sometimes pretty good at showing off to you what their products can do, through all those skillfully made Demo Songs and detailed display of the products features.

You hear those demo songs, and you could "feel yourself right there"! So you start planning on buying them. After you buy them, if you ever did, you realize it takes some expertise and knowledge of the programs to make them work for you! You may end up kicking them to the shelf to gather dust, or resell them for cheap. Meanwhile you wait for the next big one that "really works" for you!!

So you see my friends, we have no one to blame but ourselves. I think the less we buy, the better we become at using those that we already have.

Just make sure you REALLY love the sound, timbre, programming architecture and GUI layout design...and probably the name brand, if you care, and then buy a couple of them. After that, just have fun!
Not my expience at all. Actually i have to ignore the demos many times. I read the manual, look here from posters i am familiar with. Sometimes i demo, sometimes not. Certain devs i will buy from just on a product description, and as i posted pages ago, i only sold off one synth so far. Compared to a lot of kvrers i may be a bit conservative with my buying habits.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

_al_ wrote:
BURN-ADDiCT wrote:Mixfood Remix is the one synth I regret buying!
honestly, when i see something with a name like Mixfood Remix, it just makes me think the developer has close to zero passion for his work, and even less self respect. i just avoid those plugins like the plague.
also the ones with silly cartoon guis. it's like someone just knocked it together for a laugh.

sheesh i'm in a bad mood today :x
I'm adapting this way of vetting!

I never really regret buying something that can be resold, but as for Rack Extensions...
one day I was walking on the street and someone saw me, he said "hey man" and I don't remember why I'm telling you this.

Return to “Instruments”