"Playable" tb-303 vst

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

and +infinity audiorealism.

Man this thread is pure nostalgia. Years ago we used to have "what's the best 303" threads as frequently as "nothing sounds like a Virus" and "hardware is better than software threads". Ahh the good old days.....
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

In before people start describing sounds in terms of relative temperature.
Free BassTables for Xfer Serum 1 | 2
2016 Synthmaster Song Contest Winner Presets

Fully agree the combination of the filter and sequencer quirks makes the sound for sure. That said, playing it with midi like a base player, did sound very good to me (for rnb/hiphop). On that topic I remember playing around with Rebirth ages ago having no clue what it was emulating.. For some reason this also makes me think about Wipeout 2097, there must have been a couple to 303's in that soundtrack.

Teksonik wrote:Man this thread is pure nostalgia. Years ago we used to have "what's the best 303" threads as frequently as "nothing sounds like a Virus" and "hardware is better than software threads". Ahh the good old days.....
Cause 303 emulation is pretty much perfected at this point with plugins such as ABL3 and Transistor Bass, it's a pretty simple machine anyways.

fanodu1 wrote:
Teksonik wrote:Man this thread is pure nostalgia. Years ago we used to have "what's the best 303" threads as frequently as "nothing sounds like a Virus" and "hardware is better than software threads". Ahh the good old days.....
Cause 303 emulation is pretty much perfected at this point with plugins such as ABL3 and Transistor Bass, it's a pretty simple machine anyways.
Come on, man, don't ruin the nostalgia for the the old dogs of KVR. :hihi:

Personally I like to use Omnisphere for 303 sounds. Both the sampled osc from trilian and the modeled wavetable from Omni 2. The filters obviously don't quite have the squelch but it's fun to use different filter combinations in parallel/series on a 303 sound anyways.

And I disagree with the person who said it's all about the filter. Maybe for the acid stuff and the saw osc, but for me the 303 is all about the square osc and those mellow plastikman type bass and leads. It's so distinctive.

Heresy! Burn the witch, burn the witch!

Nah...whatever Floaty McFloatfaces your Boaty McBoatface.

I love Phoscyon. It nails that sound perfectly imho, and the on-board distortion is both great (it's literally just a less feature-rich version of their Devastor plugin) and very useful.

But I don't have ABL... does it have on-board distortion? D16 definitely know what their doing when it comes to FX units / the devastor distortion sounds great to me.

mholloway wrote:I love Phoscyon. It nails that sound perfectly imho, and the on-board distortion is both great (it's literally just a less feature-rich version of their Devastor plugin) and very useful.

But I don't have ABL... does it have on-board distortion? D16 definitely know what their doing when it comes to FX units / the devastor distortion sounds great to me.
Abl2 had a distortion. A simple but really nice one actually which I preferred over phoscyon even. Very different character. But there is no longer a distortion in Abl3, which is too bad. Although not as much of a bummer as the swing being left out of abl3.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Abl2 had a distortion. A simple but really nice one actually which I preferred over phoscyon even. Very different character. But there is no longer a distortion in Abl3, which is too bad.
The distortion is back in the latest RE version and an update to the VST version is planned (according to AudioRealism's Facebook page).

1wob2many wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:Abl2 had a distortion. A simple but really nice one actually which I preferred over phoscyon even. Very different character. But there is no longer a distortion in Abl3, which is too bad.
The distortion is back in the latest RE version and an update to the VST version is planned (according to AudioRealism's Facebook page).
Cool. Did they say if the swing/shuffle is coming back? I'd much rather that than distortion.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
1wob2many wrote:
Cool. Did they say if the swing/shuffle is coming back? I'd much rather that than distortion.
Mike didn't elaborate.

In reference to the release of the ABL3.1.1 Rack Extension upgrade in May, somebody asked when an audio units version would be released. The reply was:

"Updates for VST/AU are planned yes..!"

Other than the distortion, the RE upgrade has nothing that's not already in the VST/AU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrFAM11znTE

chk071 wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Um, if you want to use the DAW for sequencing anyway, can't you use any decent synth plugin to make the sound as such? 8)
The TB-303 filter and sequencer are pretty special. A lot of effort, if you do it with another synth, and it might not get you exactly what you want. As usual. I was able to do some nice 303-ish sounds with Spire, but, they're surely not the same as with a real 303, or an emulation. I'm not really much into 303 sounds, but, i got Phoscyon for free, and will happily keep it, if i need such sounds.
the sequencer isn't the hard thing, it has only two values, one with and one without accent. but the env in the 303 is working bipolar both, on amp and filter, hence for doing it with another synth, it would have to have a bipolar env, routable on both, filter and amp, as well as the env has to do a value takeover, when accent is used, as it's not retriggered on accent, when legato glide is used. and there's also a hard time to get the osc right, especially on the square which has a very distinctive sound/shape. also the filter of the 303, as 24db slope, but the resonance is taken of the 3rd stage in the cascade, has a very nonlinear frequency response, which males it, so that if the cutoff is low, there's almost no resonance when resonance is max, and the higher you go with the cutoff, the more the resonance is unleashed.
and the accent keeps the env decay long on the filter, as soon as the env depth is used. a decent 303 programming needs the synth, that you want to do it with to provide you with such features.
hence, to do some 303ish stuff, there's quite some synths out there, but to actually kinda _nail_ it, there's no way with other synths.
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

Last edited by ghettosynth on Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”