RELATED
PRODUCTS

Rob Papen Blue II
https://www.robpapen.com/blue2.html

up to 6 oscillators can be FM configured in 32 ways

can mix FM with other types of synthesis

has a very powerful FX section

comes loaded with a huge preset bank
Last edited by darksynth on Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

I used to use Sytrus for FM back in the day until I switched to the mac. IL still haven't managed a proper mac version of Sytrus, so I grabbed Bazille, intrigued by the cabling flexibility.
Should have done that sooner mind you, I haven't gotten that kind of FM quality out of anything else to date. Comes at the expense of CPU cycles depending on the modulation choices and polyphony.

I haven't really explored Zebra's FM capabilities much, so I can't comment on that.

Hemmick Reef wrote:Thanks for the recommendations.

Dexed sounds identical to my old DX7. I love FM7 but it never had that vibe of the hardware.
Interesting.

I still have some hw Yamaha synths ( Tx-802, TG-77, DX7 II FD for the FM oldies)

I never had that much trouble to recover that vintage FM vibe with the FM8. Otoh, I found Dexed was lacking some features to emulate in depth if only a simple Dx7.

Then, ime, FM8 goes far beyond emulating the Dx series. Ymmv.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

zerocrossing wrote:Octopus was one of my favorites. I'm not sure if their going out of business sale is still on, but if it is, I'd snag it.
You can still get all their older stuff despite them stating they would pull them back in 2015

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 7759152059
Amazon: why not use an alternative

dedicated FM synths i got here are:

- NI FM8
- Tone2 Nemesis
- Dexed (freeware)
- Ableton Operator (with LIve 9 Suite)

From those FM8 and Nemesis currently would be my favorites.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:dedicated FM synths i got here are:

- NI FM8
- Tone2 Nemesis
- Dexed (freeware)

Which is your favourite?

Hemmick Reef wrote:

- NI FM8
- Tone2 Nemesis
- Dexed (freeware)

Which is your favourite?
NI FM8 for phase modulation + "classic" DX7 like FM stuff and Nemesis for real FM (not phase modulation) using the "NeoFM" modes.
The advantage of real FM liek in Nemesis is that you could properly use any waveform. Nemesi could import single cycle WAV files and als has a simple additive like waveform editor. FWIW it got phase modulation modes too taht try to rplicate the DX7 so you could easily comapre the differences of real Fm and phase modulation using the same waveforms. With a simple Sine wave the differnce is only very small.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

One FM synth i forgot to mention is Arturia Synclavier V which has a nice combination of FM and additive synthesis and is quite unique. Opposing to the original hardware with the plugin you could edit the waveforms for both the carrier and modulator.
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:One FM synth i forgot to mention is Arturia Synclavier V which has a nice combination of FM and additive synthesis and is quite unique. Opposing to the original hardware with the plugin you could edit the waveforms for both the carrier and modulator.
YES. How did I forgot that? :dog:

I also forgot Blue 2 and Zebra - both very good in FM (especially Blue 2).

This list grew bigger than I would imagine. It seems we have a broad choice of great FM synths, although many fall under the radar (if not at all, in what concerns their FM abilities, like e.g. Zebra and Blue 2)
Fernando (FMR)

There's this one too...

Oxe FM Synth

https://oxesoft.wordpress.com

fmr wrote: This list grew bigger than I would imagine. It seems we have a broad choice of great FM synths, although many fall under the radar (if not at all, in what concerns their FM abilities, like e.g. Zebra and Blue 2)
Actually a lot of VA and wavetable synths offer some sort of FM too.

For example with Largo any of the 3 oscillators could be used to do FM with all 3 Oscs (including doing FM with itself aka "FM feedback") and both filters.

DUNE 2.5 besides the dedicated FM Osc mode could use the Oscs as a mod source for almost everything.

The FM morph modes in Tone2 Icarus do use real/true FM similar to that in the "NeoFM" modes in Nemesis (NeoFM = true FM oposing to phase modulation).
Ingo Weidner

Heres my hat in the ring...MUX from Mutools
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

Ingonator wrote:
Hemmick Reef wrote:

- NI FM8
- Tone2 Nemesis
- Dexed (freeware)

Which is your favourite?
NI FM8 for phase modulation + "classic" DX7 like FM stuff and Nemesis for real FM (not phase modulation) using the "NeoFM" modes.
The advantage of real FM liek in Nemesis is that you could properly use any waveform. Nemesi could import single cycle WAV files and als has a simple additive like waveform editor. FWIW it got phase modulation modes too taht try to rplicate the DX7 so you could easily comapre the differences of real Fm and phase modulation using the same waveforms. With a simple Sine wave the differnce is only very small.
Hi Ingo. Usually I totally share your taste in synths. I listened to many demo and tutorial videos concerning NEMESIS of Tone2 from whom I love Icarus. But NEMESIS... it's hard for me to find that something in sound that makes it special or standing erected beside other FM machines soundwise. The sound is sterile has nothing of grittyness and no real lush tone to it. It seems to be so tamed down too please all the EDM loving people.

In addition it only offers two operators and two LFOs (a limitation which unfortunately ICARUS also has). For a very special FM based instrument shouldn't it have at least 6 operators and better 8?

I don't own the instrument and maybe I overlooked something important. How do you approach NEMESIS? Thank you I advance. Cheers.

BigTick Rhino! Do you guys remember that one? Still a beast of a (FM) synth imho :)
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

nichttuntun wrote:It seems to be so tamed down too please all the EDM loving people.
Always funny again, what prejudices there seem to be present towards EDM. :D I'd say the opposite is true. Most EDM producers prefer the more raw, punchy, characterful synths. Think Massive, Sylenth1, Spire, and the likes. And, with reservations, Serum, because it seems to be quite clean, with a digital edge.

Return to “Instruments”