Ribs

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wow! I would love to hav a AU version of this incredible piece of sound thingy.

I can't seem to get this working on Ableton Live 9. Do you have some directions for use with DAWs like Ableton?
"I was never worried that synthesizers would replace musicians. First of all, you have to be a musician in order to make music with a synthesizer."
Robert Moog

How's the video going?

Hello everybody, I've uploaded the video and added it to the first post. On Youtube there are time codes in the description to navigate it. I hope it is helpful.

Thank you all for your feedback! As usual, lots of good ideas are born while answering the questions and writing manuals :)

I've received several questions about Abelton live, and I have to look deeper into these problems. Unfortunately I can't do it right now. I'll be able to get back to the development in the middle of August.

If you catch any bugs, please send a description of steps to reproduce the problem and a screenshot of Ribs to ribsey@ya.ru or submit it to https://github.com/Eugene-Y/Ribs-tracker. Screenshot of Ribs GUI is the easiest way to describe the way you set up the plugin (but it does not contain a description of your actions :)).

thanks!

I've added the beta folder to the first download mirror (yandex).

One important change that will be introduced in the next stable release is that the old buffer data is still used during a refill. It is already available in 1.0.2 beta.

Thanks very much for the video, really helped get a better handle on this. It's so well thought out, puts a lot of paid granulators to shame.

Another tiny request, any chance of adding a randomise button to the beat numerator/denominator settings? Maybe something like right click to randomise numerators, left click for denominators. Could be an interesting way to come up with patches.

EDIT: Actually it's relatively easy to achieve a similar effect by putting the base length way up on notes mode then randomly hammering widely spaced notes on a midi keyboard :D although you're unlikely to happen upon any perfectly tempo/beat synced action that way I guess.

Hez wrote:Another tiny request, any chance of adding a randomise button to the beat numerator/denominator settings? Maybe something like right click to randomise numerators, left click for denominators. Could be an interesting way to come up with patches.
You can actually close your eyes and use mouse wheel when the mouse is over the num/denoms :) If you hold Shift, it multiplies and divides these values by 2. Or perhaps I didn't get what you mean by randomizing :)

Btw, to your previous question about the grain spacing, there's no such option, at least for now.

1eqinfinity wrote:
Hez wrote:Another tiny request, any chance of adding a randomise button to the beat numerator/denominator settings? Maybe something like right click to randomise numerators, left click for denominators. Could be an interesting way to come up with patches.
You can actually close your eyes and use mouse wheel when the mouse is over the num/denoms :) If you hold Shift, it multiplies and divides these values by 2. Or perhaps I didn't get what you mean by randomizing :)

Btw, to your previous question about the grain spacing, there's no such option, at least for now.
If only I could hold my mouse in the right position with my eyes closed :D

I guess I found that when I was just playing around and didn't really have a 'vision' for a patch, it's a little time consuming creating experimental ratios for multiple keys due to the number of parameters you have to adjust. I am extremely lazy! Obviously if you know what you want to do (e.g. 3 vs 5 polyrhythm or something) then it's v nice being able to dial in such things accurately. That part of the interface just feels a bit less experimental than the rest of the synth due to the number of tweaks you need to make, it's kind of difficult to arrive at a 'happy accident', as they say. Whereas spinning the playrate control = instant psychedelic madness.

For peculiar rhythmic stuff I'm enjoying playing on notes mode with the pitch very low for example, because it's much more immediate hitting different keys on a midi keyboard and finding something you like, rather than having to adjust a bank of parameters.

It's absolutely not a big issue though - I'm just a fan of randomisation. And likewise with the grain spacing, not an essential feature whatsoever, just something specific to the kind of sound design I enjoy. Please don't take either as criticisms/accusations of lacking features - this is one of the best freeware releases I've ever seen!

Thanks, Hez :)

Aha, now I see where this randomization idea comes from. It actually is reasonable and not hard to implement. I think I'll give it a try after I come back and finish working on higher priority tasks.

Hi,

I have Ribs working in Ableton Live with two tracks. The settings are below and in the attached screenshot. Note that there is also a third track to record the inspired results :).

1. Source track with MIDI and audio, with 'Audio To' set to the Ribs track and 'Input 3/Input 4-Ribs x64'.
2. Ribs track, with 'MIDI From' set to the source track and 'Monitor' set to 'In'.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Great job on the video! Very impressive work, Thanks...

-Cheers

Thanks for the video. A great entry point to this complex tool...

Cheers,
tl.

brijawi wrote:Hi,

I have Ribs working in Ableton Live with two tracks. The settings are below and in the attached screenshot. Note that there is also a third track to record the inspired results :).

1. Source track with MIDI and audio, with 'Audio To' set to the Ribs track and 'Input 3/Input 4-Ribs x64'.
2. Ribs track, with 'MIDI From' set to the source track and 'Monitor' set to 'In'.
Is it working?

Russell Grand wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:Ive searched this thread and clicked just about everything in the plugin.

Is is supposed to sync to your DAWs tempo and if so how ?
I'd like an answer to this Q as well.

Dev?
Same here...

Tried it with some drum loops and all I get out of it is chaos. Nothing useful at all I'm afraid. It's a shame because it's obviously an interesting plugin and probably capable of a lot in the right hands, but I find it very unintuitive to use.

Return to “Instruments”