One Synth Challenge #101: Spiral Generator (Taron Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

@Taron, what is LotS?

Mates, I have almost done and I have a question. Should I turn on Oversampling before the final mix if I am already happy with the sound?

tw | yt | ig

stunkit wrote:@Taron, what is LotS?

Mates, I have almost done and I have a question. Should I turn on Oversampling before the final mix if I am already happy with the sound?

Try both and see if it matters...
I didn't care about trying it out, but I also had some bounce problems (later solved by downloading latest version of Sanford reverb) so didn't want to go through the hassle...

LotS is Taron's synthesizer and the subject of OSC100. Lord of the Springs.

zippy731 wrote:Spiral Generator is a righteous beast!

Lots of potential, and beyond OSC I'll definitely keep this one up front in the toolbox for crazy noisemaking for resampling etc.
Yep, it's great for bass and leads, not just sfx! Although I think its future sibling "Torus Generator" will be even better for that.
zippy731 wrote:I've been having some struggles keeping it stable in FL Studio (version 12.4, 64 bit) where it has tended to crash just when it was getting really awesome.
Proper crash reports makes for a happy developer! (Please report crashes with needed details! http://www.soundemote.com/contact)
Taron wrote:because you can hardly get a sine like sound with this one
see my post here for getting sine: viewtopic.php?p=6825934#p6825934
Taron wrote:I don't know, if I'm entitled to give any advice to you guys, probably because my track will sound likely rather tame, but if you don't want to go nuts, don't go nuts with SG.
Absolutely! I made parameter ranges large so you could explore isolated extremes, rather than turning everything up to the extreme at once.
Taron wrote:Funny tip I just realized: Auburn Panagement has an Oscilloscope built in, which REALLY helps designing "harmless" sounds! This visual feedback is enormously helpful. Beyond the shadow of a doubt, buying Spiral's own beautiful oscilloscope would very likely be VERY worth it!
PrettyScope was my very first release. Why? Because all of my future synths will depend on seeing the waveform in 2D/2.5D, it's hugely important, not just helpful, for my stuff coming up. More 1D features (stereo signal comparison) coming soon as well. I would love to release a free PrettyScope in the future when it where the paid version is a bit more expensive and feature-rich and the free version has the basic featureset needed for waveform studying.

Sometimes frustration can be the source of inspiration. Don't be fooled, "clowns" are already here and more are on they way. Managers, politicains, liars and other scumbags. They slowly poison the world and leave nothing behind.

Be careful this track is little crazy in order keep theme and story behind :hihi: .
https://soundcloud.com/trojakew/clown-invasion
FL Studio 12.3
19 instances of Spiral Generator 2.0.0
DAW FX's:
1x Maximus
1x Fruity Reeverb
1x Fruity parametric EQ 2
Other FX's:
5x Amplio 2

stunkit wrote:Should I turn on Oversampling before the final mix if I am already happy with the sound?
This will be true more for my future synths, but in general oversampling is an aesthetic choice, not a matter of sound quality. You won't be reducing aliasing in some cases, you will simply be making the sound less aggressive. Use oversampling if you are hearing nasty digital artifacts (although if you have high density, high frequency, and no lowpass filtering, your asking for nastiness!). I eventually need to implement a realtime vs rendering settings though.

stunkit wrote:@Taron, what is LotS?

I would be careful with it. For me adjusting the oversampling would completely kill some of my percussion patches by eliminating the aliasing noise. If you adjust oversampling after your track is done (as some have suggested to reduce CPU burden) it will likely dramatically change the character of your mix (maybe not for the better).

My submission:
https://soundcloud.com/stunkit/stunkit-forshlack

Cubase 9

36 Spiral Generator 2
Default Reverbs and Delays
GFader

Reference:
Knife Party - Micropenis xD
tw | yt | ig

I'm just experimenting with KEYTRACKING and it's really iffy with density, somehow doesn't seem to relate to the parameter above in terms of range. I wished it was either relative to the density parameter (or what ever parameter supposed to track with the keys) or multiplying it or something of that sort. It's really hard to manage as it is right now, I find. I might be wrong?! :shrug:
However, I'm really getting some very, very controlled and pretty sounds out of it right now, though, my song already exhausts my poor little 12 core Xeon, hehe. :scared:
So, yeah, the keytracking working a bit more understandably would be a big plus, I find. Maybe I'm missing something, though, who knows?! I'm having some troubles either way, often losing sound, if I add a new instance. Not sure, if I'm the only one experiencing that?

Anyway, loads of fun designing sounds right now! :tu:

Intended to post this earlier. Wrapped up in gigantic, world-shaping projects atm. 8)

Spiral Generator can often not be mono compatible.
This month is a great opportunity to practice with stereo tools.
There are some phase and stereo manipulation tools in the ReaJS pack, or you can play with
MSED
Hofa 4U Meter Fader
Flux Stereo Tool
A1 Stereo Control
There are a lot of hidden gems in MUtility

GL

Taron wrote:However, I really have no concerning difficulties designing sounds with it, especially percussion are good fun, too. It's almost ironic, considering that it's virtually the opposite of LotS, because you can hardly get a sine like sound with this one and everything sort of brings back memories of the dentist or some hive of insects. It's most definitely an awesome contrast.
True that LotS is opposite of SG. Regarding interface SG is simpler to understand with traditional approach while in LotS, well one should really try hard to understand what any buttons do :D . But there are some sliders in SG that im not sure what they actually do. I'm able to make dentist out of LotS too but in SG it happens often. Envelope in SG (nagitve amp and sharpness is nice) most of time there is click sound even with max attack. Both are challenging to use and both can eat you CPU for breakfast :lol: . I have not used oversamplig in SG at all. Aliasing can be nice sometimes.

stunkit wrote:"Reference:
Knife Party - Micropenis xD"
You'd think that using micropenis as a reference is a sure fire way to feel better about yourself, but theirs is bigger than yours.
Taron wrote:"my poor little 12 core Xeon, hehe. :scared:"
Damn this computer, I'm getting an uprade from my core 2 duo to disney's 55,000 core rendering engine immediately, brb.

TrojakEW wrote:"most of time there is click sound even with max attack"
The Highpass can filter it out

Okay, so I made a new version, so thanks to those that listened and commented,t, spiral made my computer wonky, well more the daw and my messed up setup.

So
https://soundcloud.com/eauson/movement-conspiracy-kvr
About 12 instances of imagine line modular contains spiral generator as its the only way it'll work in my daw.
Segx2 gate expander
Garyg2012 tipaki
Magneto
Voxengo old is cool verb
Surround panned, set centrally to control width
Msed
Last edited by Eauson on Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Just stumbled across this forum yesterday, very cool idea.

Here's an entry:

https://soundcloud.com/tenuousjohn/dsg-amnt

10 x Spiral Generator
HY-Filter2 Free
Studio One DAW + effects

I normally work with live improvisation + electronics so doing something in all MIDI was a fun learning experience for me.

Taron wrote:I'm just experimenting with KEYTRACKING and it's really iffy with density
hmm, I'll add that to my issues list and will take a look.

Return to “Instruments”