One Synth Challenge #101: Spiral Generator (Taron Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm not having serious CPU issues like others are reporting. I have oversampling disabled though, so that may be why. 7 instances and I' m sitting at an average of 5% CPU use, and my machine certainly isn't top of the line.

I'm actually finding the synth to be quite inspiring and more than capable of making very musical sounds. Percussion is a bit difficult since the envelopes on this thing are...not quite right. I can't get release to function like release usually does, and while the envelope apparently shows the number of miliseconds a part of the envolpe should persist, I find it doesn't actually work that way.
Disco flangus shenanigans

Does anyone have this working in Logic?
One instance with no oversampling is giving me a constant last core CPU spike and when I record I am getting this weird error message about sample rate and midi syncing that I have never seen before.

Mechanought wrote:I'm not having serious CPU issues like others are reporting. I have oversampling disabled though, so that may be why. 7 instances and I' m sitting at an average of 5% CPU use, and my machine certainly isn't top of the line.

I'm actually finding the synth to be quite inspiring and more than capable of making very musical sounds. Percussion is a bit difficult since the envelopes on this thing are...not quite right. I can't get release to function like release usually does, and while the envelope apparently shows the number of miliseconds a part of the envolpe should persist, I find it doesn't actually work that way.
Are the instances just open/not playing any notes? For me and my fairly good cpu (i7 6700k), it's actually playing notes that hurts. 1 instances and it jumps from 5% to 20%+
Find my Soundcloud here: https://soundcloud.com/user-603037139

Trying to be different, while staying familiar. Currently sucking at that.

-GravityGas

Just double checked, 7 instances all actively playing, and I even have a couple reverbs going as well. 13-16% useage.

Are you using 32-bit or 64bit version of Spiral Generator?
Disco flangus shenanigans

Gravity Gas wrote: Are the instances just open/not playing any notes? For me and my fairly good cpu (i7 6700k), it's actually playing notes that hurts. 1 instances and it jumps from 5% to 20%+
I have no CPU problems running about 10 instances, all playing and a bit of automation. This is on an i5 that is beginning to come of age. Using Reaper. btw. Maybe it doesn't play nice with all hosts?

No CPU overload issues here...
Windows 8.1 64bit on i7-4770, Live 9.7 64bit, no more than 10% with 5 or 6 instances of Spiral Generator 2.

Starting to wrap my head around this one, seeing some interesting possibilities with the excellent modulation system. I forsee some nasty dub being made this month.

Will definitely not be turning on oversampling until the final press - it's quite workable without it for all the instances i will ever need.

Going for a Techno track! :party: :hyper: :phones:

the five assed monkey wrote:Going for a Techno track! :party: :hyper: :phones:
Oh.. you just broke my surprise... :dog: :lol:

Mechanought wrote:Just double checked, 7 instances all actively playing, and I even have a couple reverbs going as well. 13-16% useage.

Are you using 32-bit or 64bit version of Spiral Generator?
Pretty certain it's the 64-bit version; but I'm starting to think it's something more on my end because I'm working on this other song and I'm seeing higher-than-normal cpu usage I think.

I'll keep working it out.
Find my Soundcloud here: https://soundcloud.com/user-603037139

Trying to be different, while staying familiar. Currently sucking at that.

-GravityGas

baalisoda wrote:I would be grateful, if some kind soul manage to make and share their presets here for this vst.
Here are some quickly programmed kick drum, snare and hihat which might be a starting point for you. The .zip-archive also contains an audio and a readme file.

Three slightly clumsy drum patches by RuediRena

Have fun!
Ruedi

Maybe someone here can shed some light on this error message I am getting while recording or during playback in Logic (10.2.4 on Yosemite btw). As I mentioned before one instance (and as soon as I play a single note) completely maxes out the CPU (the last core only on the CPU meter) and creates this hideous digital distortion. Yet I can still play it, but when I record (or play back) i get the following message:
Error while trying to synchronize Audio and MIDI.
Sample Rate 36,822 recognized.
Check conflict between Logic Pro X and external device.

The actual sample rate shown in the message above seems to change every time too. Can anybody help me understand what is going on, or is anyone else experiencing the same thing? I have never seen that error message with any other plugin before and I have used a ton of them. Thanks in advance.

There will be an update soon, SpiralGenerator was not working for FL Studio and the bug that was now fixed could affect other hosts. Will let you know when the update is online.

I'm going to have a chat with a programmer about the CPU usage. We could potentially cut the CPU usage in half.

Edit: Despite all the complaints, this thing is really powerful sound-design-wise and is very musical.

Please see my numerous videos on Spiral Generator: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... wvvYdt--2y

@Rudi ... thanks for these. If you push the both Z sliders up to max you can get a decent white-ish noise to envelope and filter (inside and outside the synth). Used epicverb and played with the Mid/Side settings as well as boosting the high frequencies of the reverb, and got very usable results. ReaEQ also to my aid!

... and yes, this synth can be musical and my track will reflect and honour this.

dB

RuediRena wrote:
baalisoda wrote:I would be grateful, if some kind soul manage to make and share their presets here for this vst.
Here are some quickly programmed kick drum, snare and hihat which might be a starting point for you. The .zip-archive also contains an audio and a readme file.

Three slightly clumsy drum patches by RuediRena

Have fun!
Ruedi
You've made my day :D

Thanks a ton, mate :tu:

Return to “Instruments”