One Synth Challenge #103 - Noisetar by NUSofting (Taron is the winner!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Noisetar

Ugh, im out. This thing drives me insane. Can we change to a different synth?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote:Ugh, im out. This thing drives me insane. Can we change to a different synth?
No ! No ! We have sounds to experiment with now :phones:
Although it's almost like building a wished-sound-like convolution response from EQs and compressors x)

Well this is definitely a rare beast.
I hope i can get something more interesting than just WHARRGARBL out of this thing.
One thing i don't quite get is how the signal flow works/what order the effects are applied in.
Also, are you allowed to use bugs to achieve certain sounds?

EscapeControl wrote: Btw, are you allowed to use bugs to achieve certain sounds?
I figured that's what happened in my track, so I started recording straight to audio file. Hit a key once, twice, nothing but a click, third time I get an impressive stream of random junk.

Victor.

EscapeControl wrote:Also, are you allowed to use bugs to achieve certain sounds?
Yes, definitely! Because every bug is also a feature of a synth :)
But if you did so, I would double check before an update, if the new version will not alter your specific sounds. In that case I recommend to just stick with the old version.
But be aware that sampling is NOT allowed. If you render a track, it must be the same as if all the audio was done by the synth in real time. It is allowed to freeze whole tracks in order to save CPU.

Carl_saved wrote:
EscapeControl wrote:Also, are you allowed to use bugs to achieve certain sounds?
Yes, definitely! Because every bug is also a feature of a synth :)
But if you did so, I would double check before an update, if the new version will not alter your specific sounds. In that case I recommend to just stick with the old version.
But be aware that sampling is NOT allowed. If you render a track, it must be the same as if all the audio was done by the synth in real time. It is allowed to freeze whole tracks in order to save CPU.
Yeah that makes things complicated ^^ I'v set a randomiser to explore the synth for me and some complex path produce mindblowing effects / glitches, but for the moment I'm not able to reproduce that.
I'm also afraid of patches and updates because the synth is very unstable, but maybe it is possible to work with multiple versions of the same synth ? (is this authorized ?)

Hi, T, L & BJ ... any signs of a new 32-bit version?

Will my presets I have made for the current version (ie not the update) still work with the updated versions? I don't want to put a lot of effort into new presets if it will be a waste of valuable time.

Cheers,

dB

doctorbob wrote: Will my presets I have made for the current version (ie not the update) still work with the updated versions? I don't want to put a lot of effort into new presets if it will be a waste of valuable time.
My bass preset from the previous version still worked with the new one.

EscapeControl wrote:
doctorbob wrote: Will my presets I have made for the current version (ie not the update) still work with the updated versions? I don't want to put a lot of effort into new presets if it will be a waste of valuable time.
My bass preset from the previous version still worked with the new one.
Thanks, that's good to know. What works better, or differently in the update?

dB
Last edited by doctorbob on Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Is it possible to get a sustained note out of this synth without it sounding like a skipping record?

doctorbob wrote:[..]Here's a little preview[..]
This is really awesome, dr. Bob! :o Looks like I have to participate just because I want to vote for you already :D This synth is still too scary for me since there's no solid pack of musical presets to start with. It means that I'll grab all the generous patches everyone will share here :oops:
YT | SC | FB | IG | earror :ud: KO :ud:

Here's my user presets folder so far ... do what you wish with them ... the names only sort of represent the type of track they were possibly going to be used for ... not the actual sound in reality!

dB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Getting regular clicking in Ableton (Windows 64-bit) but it sounds smooth in Studio One 3.5. Clicks are strange in Ableton - they come and go in an oscillating pattern.

Maybe will give this one a shot ..

doctorbob wrote:Will my presets I have made for the current version (ie not the update) still work with the updated versions? I don't want to put a lot of effort into new presets if it will be a waste of valuable time.
I did quick test and for me there is light diference in sound of preset in new version. Mostly for high frequencies.

I can get boom or hiss sounds but noting in between even with extreme eq settings in post. Well multiplying something that doesnt exist still result in zero :wink: . With BP on there is quite bad resonation in sound. I'm also not sure maybe synth is poly but it looks that BP filter is working in mono mode so thats why there are problem with note polyphony and output on note chord is out of tune because it process "kind of merged" notes and it distord the sound even more mostly audible on lover octaves/notes.

Envelope with zero or very low attack pruduces click sound for me that is mostly audible again on lower notes. I can sligtly eliminate the clicking with built in filter but this also results in loss of wanted sound and result is muddy. Higher attack values are not good for percussion sound.

Now real problem for me just start when I try to build patterns. Not sure if it is FLtudio related but every pattern start from zero volume and will stabilize to selected channel volume after 2 or 3 notes after. :x It is same for me in new version. It is like auto fadein. Nothing help even starting new project and loading preset to new instance. Not sure what to do now :hihi: .

Lets see the new problems that await me next. This is definitly most challenging round. Hope to not break my keyboard while trying to persuade this synth to work correctly :lol: .

TrojakEW wrote: I did quick test and for me there is light diference in sound of preset in new version. Mostly for high frequencies.
OK - probably stay with the old version then.
I can get boom or hiss sounds but noting in between even with extreme eq settings in post.
Yeah, does thunder really well!
... With BP on there is quite bad resonation in sound.
But at least it's workable, and reasonably predictable - you have to work at it to get the sweet spots!
I'm also not sure maybe synth is poly but it looks that BP filter is working in mono mode so thats why there are problem with note polyphony and output on note chord is out of tune because it process "kind of merged" notes and it distord the sound even more mostly audible on lover octaves/notes.
I noticed this from starting with the synth, so have treated it as a MONO and split any tracks which have any overlapping notes out to multiple tracks with their own instance of Noisetar.
Envelope with zero or very low attack pruduces click sound for me that is mostly audible again on lower notes.
Only way round is to have a slower attack - also found that a bit of release value seems to cure other clicks OK.
I can sligtly eliminate the clicking with built in filter but this also results in loss of wanted sound and result is muddy.
True, agreed.
Higher attack values are not good for percussion sound.
I Just sort of lived with the click and hoped it got buried in the perc - so far so good!
Hope to not break my keyboard while trying to persuade this synth to work correctly :lol: .
I think in the end, for those of us who want to make a melodic track, it's really a question of understanding the limitations, and then compose/work around them for a part decent track. But, that said, apart from the really really good free synths, we have come across limitations before, and in the end people have squeezed out amazing tracks ... watch and listen to this space I say ...

Oh yes, using Reaper - hit my cpu limit now on my 7 year old machine. 37 instances of Noisetar, lots of routing/bussing - using 67 tracks!

Cheers,

dB

PS. Hope the presets above are useful to someone, even as starting points.

Return to “Instruments”