Alternative to Hive

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

wagtunes wrote:
chk071 wrote:I think you mistake a clicky attack with punch. Different things. What i mean is the chunky, big sound you get with some synths, when you lower the filter decay times, and turn down the filter frequency, vs. the thin, weak sound you get when you do so on other synths.
I know exactly what you mean. Trying to do those big punchy plucks on some synths is futile. With some, it's physically impossible. I don't know why as I'm not a scientist, but something about the envelopes for some synths just make them suck for the job. Spire is amazing. Dune 2 is amazing.
I made an audio snippet to further describe what i mean:

https://soundcloud.com/chk-sound/envelope-test

First is Spire, second is Retrologue. I deactivated the "warm" sound enhancement in Spire, so, it's the pure sound. I think it shows that - Spire is more clicky in the attack phase - it's more punchy, chunky and weighty - the sound seems more detailled, and a bit more unpredictable. Mind you, Spire is not the punchiest, snappiest synth i ever heard. Monark e.g. is more snappy and punchy. I thought it is more fair in this context to compare similar synths though. And that test is so easy to make, and so easy to judge, that i sometimes lose a bit of faith in humanity, whenever i read here that synth XY is so super snappy and punchy, while, in fact, it is the opposite, really. :roll:

And, yes, IMO, it has a big impact on the sound. It might not sound like much in this example, but, do some thicker sounds, do some filter sweeps, try some bass sounds, and, yes, the difference can be quite immense.

ere2learn wrote:Long shots but.....Diversion or Sunrizer
Sunrizer sounds good.
As I understood, modulation is quite simple since there is no matrix.

Diversion looks scary.

greedy.mf wrote: Diversion looks scary.
It's a nice synth, but, it smokes my CPU for breakfast with most patches. :?

Any love for kiloHearts kHs ONE?

Several months ago I've passed on the $20 offer and wonder if I should be biting my elbows.

chk071 wrote:I think you mistake a clicky attack with punch. Different things. What i mean is the chunky, big sound you get with some synths, when you lower the filter decay times, and turn down the filter frequency, vs. the thin, weak sound you get when you do so on other synths.
Ok, i got you. You mean something like Synapse Legend then. I think it has this warm "roundness".

No comment... :D

greedy.mf wrote:[ Good chunk of patches use parallel filtering and you need a external macro control to operate both cutoffs.
There is a third filter in SM1 FX section.(obviously, without a filter envelope).

Out on a limb here, but Arcsyn!

I wonder which synthie hasn't been mentioned yet... Very helpful thread for making decisions :hyper:
Short form would be: Try everything because there is always somebody who promotes it...
:party:

chk071 wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
I know exactly what you mean. Trying to do those big punchy plucks on some synths is futile. With some, it's physically impossible. I don't know why as I'm not a scientist, but something about the envelopes for some synths just make them suck for the job. Spire is amazing. Dune 2 is amazing.
I made an audio snippet to further describe what i mean:

https://soundcloud.com/chk-sound/envelope-test

First is Spire, second is Retrologue. I deactivated the "warm" sound enhancement in Spire, so, it's the pure sound. I think it shows that - Spire is more clicky in the attack phase - it's more punchy, chunky and weighty - the sound seems more detailled, and a bit more unpredictable. Mind you, Spire is not the punchiest, snappiest synth i ever heard. Monark e.g. is more snappy and punchy. I thought it is more fair in this context to compare similar synths though. And that test is so easy to make, and so easy to judge, that i sometimes lose a bit of faith in humanity, whenever i read here that synth XY is so super snappy and punchy, while, in fact, it is the opposite, really. :roll:

And, yes, IMO, it has a big impact on the sound. It might not sound like much in this example, but, do some thicker sounds, do some filter sweeps, try some bass sounds, and, yes, the difference can be quite immense.
Did you apply low boost or saturation to those samples? They sound to bassy to me.

greedy.mf wrote:CPU usage it too high for poly use. With 4x unison it is killing my four core i7.

Effects are a joke. One knob reverb and chorus?
LFOs are weak too. No retrigger options, no phase adjustment.
Strange selection of mod targets. Why cant modulate env sustain with mod wheel?
Unison detune and width is uncontrollable and therefore it is useless for me.

Still I like it, but it is more of a one trick pony. Just bass, good one though.
Sure, Element is not feature-packed like many other synths nowadays. Still, I think it is actually closer to a classic analog synth such as the OB8 than Hive or Sylenth1 is. And those hardware synths were not one-trick ponies.
Effects on hardware synths were also rather basic. Sometimes just an on/off switch for chorus for instance.

By the way: I just bought Hive here at KVR second hand. The advertising for it in this thread was too tempting... :D
Last edited by martinjuenke on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Spire .. They are always changing things.
If only .. LOL

martinjuenke wrote:I wonder which synthie hasn't been mentioned yet... Very helpful thread for making decisions :hyper:
Short form would be: Try everything because there is always somebody who promotes it...
:party:
There is no need for sarcasm. I actually believe that people offer something because they genuinely like it and seem fit. I've researched some of the offerings, so it's definitely not useless.

generaldiomedes wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Spire .. They are always changing things.
If only .. LOL
Yes, it has been some time. Actually, i don't think they added a feature since they added the mod knobs in 2015. TBH, i think they save up the really big feature updates, like granular oscillators, custom wave loading, filter drive etc. for a potential version 2 of Spire. At least, i don't expect them to bring that to Spire very soon, after the work they had with porting Spire to the Reason format. But, who knows.

Return to “Instruments”