One Synth Challenge #104 - Zebralette by u-he (Photonic Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Zebralette

Thank you all far shared presets so far. Haven't worked with such synth before. Taron's percussions are really good starting point but for snare creation I prefer Daru's green noise. I did a little WIP :D

[deleted]

----------

EDIT:
Since I'm worried about my free time this month I'll better update this post with my latest revision.

[deleted]

----------

EDIT 2:

I removed WIP version to clear the submission thread. If someone is really interested in development stages, they are still in my SC (at least for now).
Last edited by Medniex on Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:23 am, edited 4 times in total.
YT | SC | FB | IG | earror :ud: KO :ud:

Tehehe, thanks, but by now I have an array of snares, hats, cymbals and other strange percussion...I think, it will get fun! :)
I was waiting for a snare in your nicely dramatic track, hmm...honestly, I was. :shrug: ...that noise scratch in there sounds interesting, but- I hope, you don't mind me saying this- it doesn't quite sound like a snare. Possibly like a prolonged shaking of a snare's chains. If you were to model the envelope of it with a tighter decay to a 3% sustain with -40% F/R or so, or even use the MSEG, you might get more of a snare feeling to it, but it does miss its tonal component entirely. :uhuhuh:
Anyway, the track is very promising, though! :tu:

Taron wrote:it doesn't quite sound like a snare.
Yeah... I tried to fiddle with envelope parameters, but din't get desired punch and tonal information out of it. Probably have to spend some more time and maybe some stacking is necessary :?
YT | SC | FB | IG | earror :ud: KO :ud:

Naturally, it's tempting to stack, but I've actually made a bunch that did quite a lot as single instance. Funny enough, because I've got two main snare styles in my track, they do go together in places, giving it an extra punch. Just now I did another different approach, which is also quite exciting, but also showed to me again some shortcomings of Zebralette (or extra challenges). Sound is funny, though...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ooohh, hoho, get a load of this one:
You can control the tail in the Effect Delay section's cross over!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yes my noise burst is intended to be layered with some 200-300 hz click for a quick and easy snare.
I like to separate as it gives me more flexibility in exchange of using more cpu.

I find that layering up lead sounds each with a tiny detune can lead to some very healthy BIG sounds ... and can get some nice choir-like backing ... WIP of course ...

dB
https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/part-solitude

...and very piercingly painful, too! :lol: :dog: :oops:

Yeah I know about the pain - will be rolling it off soon - hehe!

OK - rolled off the highs for the lead voicings ... replaced file above - only a quick fix -

dB

Yeah, much less painful! :tu:
I really want to explain my listening situation and habits a little, because I understand how ambiguous it can be to get just some reaction without knowing exactly where it's coming from.
I'm mostly listening with headphones (AKG K240 Studio - 55 ohms). They have a rather strong mid range, easily making lower mids more boomy then they are. But I listen to everything with them, including professional mixes, tv shows and the likes. None of those ever hurt! No matter how loud I'd turn it, there's a kind of balance in all pro mixes that doesn't make ones head explode or ears implode, which ever...
But with OSC tracks it so very often happens that my brains would melt, if I didn't frantically scramble for the volume dial, seriously. :shock:
In my mixes, I generally try to go for that kind of balance that makes max volume full, but not painful. Every now and then some vicious highs may slip through, but well...
Anyway, this is where my feedback is coming from. :shrug:

Well since Taron started it, I too share some presets made with zebralette. Well I made this while learning some basic stuff with this synth. They are not finished but someone may find them useful. There are 3 files in zip 2 snare presets and one kick preset. But there are 16 waveforms in kick presets so choosing different waveform change kick sound a little without need to tweak any knobs :lol: (something like 16 presets in one). Also u can change the snare the same way but you need to draw it yourself - but dont worry first check existing how simple they are.

This round I going to do drums free track. So I will not use them. :P

I also made small demo track with using those snare presets even for drums (some basic background melody for better atmosphere :lol: ). Some EQ and reverb on them to make them sound better and bigger. THIS IS JUNK TRACK AND NOT ACTUAL ENTRY. Will delete it after.
https://soundcloud.com/trojakew/zebrallette-snare-demo

Taron wrote:Yeah, much less painful! :tu:
Goody goody!!
...I really want to explain my listening situation and habits a little ...
Sounds good - I mainly use my Senns and check on my nearfields as I feel most people will listen on phones!
In my mixes, I generally try to go for that kind of balance that makes max volume full, but not painful. Every now and then some vicious highs may slip through, but well...
Anyway, this is where my feedback is coming from. :shrug:
All very sensible - I also (recently) try to make my mixes sound good at low volumes as well as high - that can be a challenge in itself - but as you say, if it sounds good at volume 11, then it will probably be good at volume 1!

Cheers, man, and thanks ...

dB

Oh, Bob, I always check my songs at very low volumes via my silly desktop speakers (which are surprisingly good, actually). I love hanging my head between them, staring at the wall and locating the individual instruments or bathing in the pads, if I have managed to make that happen. I also walk through the room and even out of it to check the feel of it.
Loud volumes can be deceiving, you know. It's always best to check it all!
I do wish I would have my little studio monitors here and not for 10 years in the garage, hidden in some box. But I've never had a proper subwoofer for them, sooo.... meh. One day, hopefully in this life, I may have really proper studio equipment. :shrug: ...surely donations won't get me there, hahaha. :P

TrojakEW wrote:Well since Taron started it, I too share some presets made with zebralette.

This round I going to do drums free track. So I will not use them. :P
Wow, yeah, I really like your approach with "eleven" and the fundamental! Crafty! :tu:
Pretty hard to imagine that you'd go for drum-less tracks, but whatever you do, please, make a whole song! I'm really looking forward to one from you!!! :phones:

Point of clarification - commercial soundset is by definition 'non-free' correct? For example there are a bunch of soundsets on the u-he page https://www.u-he.com/PatchLib/zebra.html that are free, but some of them are produced by outfits which also produce non-free sets.
Last edited by generaldiomedes on Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”