Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DS Audio Thorn Thorn Pro Expansion (Thorn Presets)

I'm really missing a third full-featured LFO. Two is not enough with this synth and I've already faced with this limitation. LFOs are tabbed, it shoudn't be a problem to add a third LFO button if reduce the size of the existing LFO buttons. This is my feature request. This synth can do very nice and sophisticated pads, that is why I miss another LFO. (there many effects, and they can be nicely modulated)

:pray:

Igro wrote:I'm really missing a third full-featured LFO. Two is not enough with this synth and I've already faced with this limitation. LFOs are tabbed, it shoudn't be a problem to add a third LFO button if reduce the size of the existing LFO buttons. This is my feature request. This synth can do very nice and sophisticated pads, that is why I miss another LFO. (there many effects, and they can be nicely modulated)

That + the possibilty to re-route the osc's (per osc) around the harmonic filter.

exmatproton wrote:
Igro wrote:I'm really missing a third full-featured LFO. Two is not enough with this synth and I've already faced with this limitation. LFOs are tabbed, it shoudn't be a problem to add a third LFO button if reduce the size of the existing LFO buttons. This is my feature request. This synth can do very nice and sophisticated pads, that is why I miss another LFO. (there many effects, and they can be nicely modulated)

That + the possibilty to re-route the osc's (per osc) around the harmonic filter.

+1 +1

First thing I thought playing with it was "more LFOs!" However, the multi-stage envelopes can sort-of fill in the gaps there.

Every synth I own I want to be able to route around the filters.

Also, I would love to see more wavetables added. The reason for this is the high quality of the factory wavatables. When I import mine, the result is not so good.

Igro wrote:Also, I would love to see more wavetables added. The reason for this is the high quality of the factory wavatables. When I import mine, the result is not so good.
This is because you need to have a minimum of 256 samples for the process to produce anything useful, and even then it's iffy. Thorne is not a traditional wave table synth. It should really be called a spectral table synth, because it is not storing wave forms, but sine partials. This means that any imported wave forms have to go through a fourier transform to convert them to a spectral table. Dmitri says that the current import function is more of a novelty.

teilo wrote:
Igro wrote:Also, I would love to see more wavetables added. The reason for this is the high quality of the factory wavatables. When I import mine, the result is not so good.
This is because you need to have a minimum of 256 samples for the process to produce anything useful, and even then it's iffy. Thorne is not a traditional wave table synth. It should really be called a spectral table synth, because it is not storing wave forms, but sine partials. This means that any imported wave forms have to go through a fourier transform to convert them to a spectral table. Dmitri says that the current import function is more of a novelty.
Well, that's why I asked for more "built-in" spectral waveforms. :)

Igro wrote:Well, that's why I asked for more "built-in" spectral waveforms. :)
A way to generate the partials from a formula would be nice... That would make it possible to do all sorts of crazy stuff, and would also benefit the harmonic filter.

Which DAW are you using? You can always hook up any number of lfo, envelopes, step sequencers, etc. to any parameter of VST in Live (Suite), Reason and in particular in Bitwig.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote:

Which DAW are you using? You can always hook up any number of lfo, envelopes, step sequencers, etc. to any parameter of VST in Live (Suite), Reason and in particular in Bitwig.
Presonus S3 doesn't have it yet. The only ways is to use midi or track modulation, but this is quite cumbersome and won't be stored within a preset.

Sigh, yes, S1 is not made for this. We just discussed it here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=496602&p=6978546#p6978454

Ok.. I thought LFO's 1&2 had a sorta 'free' run mode, when you set the phase to mono.. but, no. Still restarts the LFO with each key press.

Need 'free' run LFO's for really fat sounds. I like to set up one or more LFO's on various things, like detune, wave position, filter, etc.. for that messed up analog kind of inconsistency, every time you hit a note. And, no.. Rnd Step/Slide is not a good substitute for me. Though random slide, running on top of free run.. would be amazingly messed up, and awesome. I usually run one LFO into another LFO's speed control, for a warped wobble effect.

Oh well.. at least the 'vibrato' tab runs in free mode. Well, it only runs in free mode. Which is weird.. because I'd think that it actually makes more sense to have tempo sync on that one inparticular. :lol:

So really.. the 'vibrato' section is just a horribly neutered LFO.

How about just 3 full featured LFO's (including a 'free' run mode for each).. and ditch the whole vibrato thing? :P

Anyway, add that to my list to things I'd like to see.. along with a Noise OSC; OSCFX selector and knob.

progtronic wrote:Ok.. I thought LFO's 1&2 had a sorta 'free' run mode, when you set the phase to mono.. but, no. Still restarts the LFO with each key press.

Need 'free' run LFO's for really fat sounds. I like to set up one or more LFO's on various things, like detune, wave position, filter, etc.. for that messed up analog kind of inconsistency, every time you hit a note. And, no.. Rnd Step/Slide is not a good substitute for me. Though random slide, running on top of free run.. would be amazingly messed up, and awesome. I usually run one LFO into another LFO's speed control, for a warped wobble effect.

Oh

I mailed him about that and he said he was looking in to it.

try adding some amp envelope release time and the lfo free runs as it should and doesn't re-trigger

progtronic wrote:Ok.. I thought LFO's 1&2 had a sorta 'free' run mode, when you set the phase to mono.. but, no. Still restarts the LFO with each key press.

Oh well.. at least the 'vibrato' tab runs in free mode. Well, it only runs in free mode. Which is weird.. because I'd think that it actually makes more sense to have tempo sync on that one inparticular. :lol:

So really.. the 'vibrato' section is just a horribly neutered LFO.

How about just 3 full featured LFO's (including a 'free' run mode for each).. and ditch the whole vibrato thing? :P

Anyway, add that to my list to things I'd like to see.. along with a Noise OSC; OSCFX selector and knob.
No need to ditch the Vibrato, it can be used for ... vibrato. The third full-featured LFO may come. I reported a bug in Thorn and also asked about third LFO too. There have been quite a few people asking for it, so it may come...

Igro wrote: No need to ditch the Vibrato, it can be used for ... vibrato. The third full-featured LFO may come. I reported a bug in Thorn and also asked about third LFO too. There have been quite a few people asking for it, so it may come...
It just seems like wasted space, when you could just have another full featured LFO in it's place.. that does everything the vibrato is already doing.

And.. I just realized that Diversion's LFO's actually have a separate 'trigger' assignment, that allow for that random slide.. on top of free run, which I mentioned above. So.. just do that again. :ud:

Oh, another MSEG would be cool.. as well as a velocity curve setting option.

Yeah.. this wishing for more stuff will never end. Sorry Dmitry. 8)

Thorn contributes to the snappy part of teh rhythm in this song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVMZZEtoF7A

Return to “Instruments”