Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New
The NAMM Show

The KVR Audio Instruments forum is sponsored by the Winter NAMM Show. More than a trade show, NAMM brings together the music, sound and event technology communities for exhibits, workshops, performances, events and much more. This year's show takes place January 25-28. See you there!

Read more at www.namm.org

Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

User avatar
Igro
KVRAF
 
4005 posts since 26 Apr, 2007, from Noosphere

Postby Igro; Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:12 pm Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

I'm really missing a third full-featured LFO. Two is not enough with this synth and I've already faced with this limitation. LFOs are tabbed, it shoudn't be a problem to add a third LFO button if reduce the size of the existing LFO buttons. This is my feature request. This synth can do very nice and sophisticated pads, that is why I miss another LFO. (there many effects, and they can be nicely modulated)

:pray:
[For Sale] Synapse Audio EKS Pro 19$, 15£, 17€
User avatar
exmatproton
KVRAF
 
1987 posts since 24 Apr, 2011

Postby exmatproton; Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:24 pm Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

Igro wrote:I'm really missing a third full-featured LFO. Two is not enough with this synth and I've already faced with this limitation. LFOs are tabbed, it shoudn't be a problem to add a third LFO button if reduce the size of the existing LFO buttons. This is my feature request. This synth can do very nice and sophisticated pads, that is why I miss another LFO. (there many effects, and they can be nicely modulated)

:pray:

That + the possibilty to re-route the osc's (per osc) around the harmonic filter.
User avatar
JoeCat
KVRian
 
1041 posts since 19 May, 2011, from North Carolina

Postby JoeCat; Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:45 pm Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

exmatproton wrote:
Igro wrote:I'm really missing a third full-featured LFO. Two is not enough with this synth and I've already faced with this limitation. LFOs are tabbed, it shoudn't be a problem to add a third LFO button if reduce the size of the existing LFO buttons. This is my feature request. This synth can do very nice and sophisticated pads, that is why I miss another LFO. (there many effects, and they can be nicely modulated)

:pray:

That + the possibilty to re-route the osc's (per osc) around the harmonic filter.


+1 +1

First thing I thought playing with it was "more LFOs!" However, the multi-stage envelopes can sort-of fill in the gaps there.

Every synth I own I want to be able to route around the filters.
User avatar
Igro
KVRAF
 
4005 posts since 26 Apr, 2007, from Noosphere

Postby Igro; Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:25 am Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

Also, I would love to see more wavetables added. The reason for this is the high quality of the factory wavatables. When I import mine, the result is not so good.
[For Sale] Synapse Audio EKS Pro 19$, 15£, 17€
User avatar
teilo
KVRist
 
65 posts since 29 Mar, 2008

Postby teilo; Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:17 am Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

Igro wrote:Also, I would love to see more wavetables added. The reason for this is the high quality of the factory wavatables. When I import mine, the result is not so good.


This is because you need to have a minimum of 256 samples for the process to produce anything useful, and even then it's iffy. Thorne is not a traditional wave table synth. It should really be called a spectral table synth, because it is not storing wave forms, but sine partials. This means that any imported wave forms have to go through a fourier transform to convert them to a spectral table. Dmitri says that the current import function is more of a novelty.
User avatar
Igro
KVRAF
 
4005 posts since 26 Apr, 2007, from Noosphere

Postby Igro; Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:20 am Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

teilo wrote:
Igro wrote:Also, I would love to see more wavetables added. The reason for this is the high quality of the factory wavatables. When I import mine, the result is not so good.


This is because you need to have a minimum of 256 samples for the process to produce anything useful, and even then it's iffy. Thorne is not a traditional wave table synth. It should really be called a spectral table synth, because it is not storing wave forms, but sine partials. This means that any imported wave forms have to go through a fourier transform to convert them to a spectral table. Dmitri says that the current import function is more of a novelty.


Well, that's why I asked for more "built-in" spectral waveforms. :)
[For Sale] Synapse Audio EKS Pro 19$, 15£, 17€
User avatar
teilo
KVRist
 
65 posts since 29 Mar, 2008

Postby teilo; Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:28 am Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

Igro wrote:Well, that's why I asked for more "built-in" spectral waveforms. :)


A way to generate the partials from a formula would be nice... That would make it possible to do all sorts of crazy stuff, and would also benefit the harmonic filter.
User avatar
antic604
KVRian
 
586 posts since 4 Jan, 2017, from Warsaw, Poland

Postby antic604; Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:37 am Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

Igro wrote:I'm really missing a third full-featured LFO. Two is not enough with this synth and I've already faced with this limitation. LFOs are tabbed, it shoudn't be a problem to add a third LFO button if reduce the size of the existing LFO buttons. This is my feature request. This synth can do very nice and sophisticated pads, that is why I miss another LFO. (there many effects, and they can be nicely modulated)

:pray:


Which DAW are you using? You can always hook up any number of lfo, envelopes, step sequencers, etc. to any parameter of VST in Live (Suite), Reason and in particular in Bitwig.
User avatar
Igro
KVRAF
 
4005 posts since 26 Apr, 2007, from Noosphere

Postby Igro; Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:06 pm Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

antic604 wrote:
Igro wrote:I'm really missing a third full-featured LFO. Two is not enough with this synth and I've already faced with this limitation. LFOs are tabbed, it shoudn't be a problem to add a third LFO button if reduce the size of the existing LFO buttons. This is my feature request. This synth can do very nice and sophisticated pads, that is why I miss another LFO. (there many effects, and they can be nicely modulated)

:pray:


Which DAW are you using? You can always hook up any number of lfo, envelopes, step sequencers, etc. to any parameter of VST in Live (Suite), Reason and in particular in Bitwig.


Presonus S3 doesn't have it yet. The only ways is to use midi or track modulation, but this is quite cumbersome and won't be stored within a preset.
[For Sale] Synapse Audio EKS Pro 19$, 15£, 17€
tapiodmitriyevich
KVRist
 
161 posts since 15 Jan, 2017, from 127.0.0.1

Postby tapiodmitriyevich; Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:08 pm Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

Sigh, yes, S1 is not made for this. We just discussed it here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=496602&p=6978546#p6978454
User avatar
progtronic
KVRist
 
339 posts since 27 Jul, 2010

Postby progtronic; Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:22 pm Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

Ok.. I thought LFO's 1&2 had a sorta 'free' run mode, when you set the phase to mono.. but, no. Still restarts the LFO with each key press.

Need 'free' run LFO's for really fat sounds. I like to set up one or more LFO's on various things, like detune, wave position, filter, etc.. for that messed up analog kind of inconsistency, every time you hit a note. And, no.. Rnd Step/Slide is not a good substitute for me. Though random slide, running on top of free run.. would be amazingly messed up, and awesome. I usually run one LFO into another LFO's speed control, for a warped wobble effect.

Oh well.. at least the 'vibrato' tab runs in free mode. Well, it only runs in free mode. Which is weird.. because I'd think that it actually makes more sense to have tempo sync on that one inparticular. :lol:

So really.. the 'vibrato' section is just a horribly neutered LFO.

How about just 3 full featured LFO's (including a 'free' run mode for each).. and ditch the whole vibrato thing? :P

Anyway, add that to my list to things I'd like to see.. along with a Noise OSC; OSCFX selector and knob.
User avatar
wickfut
KVRist
 
422 posts since 22 Sep, 2015

Postby wickfut; Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:29 pm Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

progtronic wrote:Ok.. I thought LFO's 1&2 had a sorta 'free' run mode, when you set the phase to mono.. but, no. Still restarts the LFO with each key press.

Need 'free' run LFO's for really fat sounds. I like to set up one or more LFO's on various things, like detune, wave position, filter, etc.. for that messed up analog kind of inconsistency, every time you hit a note. And, no.. Rnd Step/Slide is not a good substitute for me. Though random slide, running on top of free run.. would be amazingly messed up, and awesome. I usually run one LFO into another LFO's speed control, for a warped wobble effect.

Oh



I mailed him about that and he said he was looking in to it.

try adding some amp envelope release time and the lfo free runs as it should and doesn't re-trigger
User avatar
Igro
KVRAF
 
4005 posts since 26 Apr, 2007, from Noosphere

Postby Igro; Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:31 pm Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

progtronic wrote:Ok.. I thought LFO's 1&2 had a sorta 'free' run mode, when you set the phase to mono.. but, no. Still restarts the LFO with each key press.

Need 'free' run LFO's for really fat sounds. I like to set up one or more LFO's on various things, like detune, wave position, filter, etc.. for that messed up analog kind of inconsistency, every time you hit a note. And, no.. Rnd Step/Slide is not a good substitute for me. Though random slide, running on top of free run.. would be amazingly messed up, and awesome. I usually run one LFO into another LFO's speed control, for a warped wobble effect.

Oh well.. at least the 'vibrato' tab runs in free mode. Well, it only runs in free mode. Which is weird.. because I'd think that it actually makes more sense to have tempo sync on that one inparticular. :lol:

So really.. the 'vibrato' section is just a horribly neutered LFO.

How about just 3 full featured LFO's (including a 'free' run mode for each).. and ditch the whole vibrato thing? :P

Anyway, add that to my list to things I'd like to see.. along with a Noise OSC; OSCFX selector and knob.


No need to ditch the Vibrato, it can be used for ... vibrato. The third full-featured LFO may come. I reported a bug in Thorn and also asked about third LFO too. There have been quite a few people asking for it, so it may come...
[For Sale] Synapse Audio EKS Pro 19$, 15£, 17€
User avatar
progtronic
KVRist
 
339 posts since 27 Jul, 2010

Postby progtronic; Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:55 pm Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

Igro wrote:No need to ditch the Vibrato, it can be used for ... vibrato. The third full-featured LFO may come. I reported a bug in Thorn and also asked about third LFO too. There have been quite a few people asking for it, so it may come...


It just seems like wasted space, when you could just have another full featured LFO in it's place.. that does everything the vibrato is already doing.

And.. I just realized that Diversion's LFO's actually have a separate 'trigger' assignment, that allow for that random slide.. on top of free run, which I mentioned above. So.. just do that again. :ud:

Oh, another MSEG would be cool.. as well as a velocity curve setting option.

Yeah.. this wishing for more stuff will never end. Sorry Dmitry. 8)
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments