Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DS Audio Thorn Thorn Pro Expansion (Thorn Presets)

AstroCastro wrote:No, it isn't.
+1

A DLL can contain soundfonts, wav samples etc, which takes up a lot of space, that should not implicate RAM that much.

Then, why so much RAM usage?

I'm not an expert by any means and I admit I could be very wrong on this one, but from my experience, the bigger the .dll, the more RAM usage is shown by Studio One...

I really like it for sharp pokey sounds, like percussion, stabs, short basses, plucks, that sort of thing. The transient can really pop on this thing. Need to make some other types of sounds in it. No need to rush since the pricing is fair and the sale-pricing runs for a generous time. I'm really digging it though; reminds me of why I fell in :love: with Diversion. Super clean sound that can get ultra brutal with the all the drive stages. Yet Thorn has a few tricks up it's sleeve that Diversion doesn't.

Agreed about the GUI and font scaling though; I have the same complaints as everyone else. I dropped it into GIMP and played with scaling; the perfect size for 1080p that fits in FL's window is 125% of the 'normal' setting, which is 1253x878 px. Thanks.

Is it just me, or does it take about 20 ms or so for envelope modulations to sweep "Position" from its maximum value on down? Seems like the spectral engine takes a moment to compute the output.

I've also experienced some crashes in Ableton and FL Studio, but I don't want to clutter up the thread with bug reports and whatnot. Tried to send an email through the website but doesn't seem to be working atm. Is there another beta thread or something... Did Thorn even have a beta stage??

He did say earlier in this thread that you could post bugs here. He would check back.
Edit addendum: ...So it wouldn't be considered clutter.

I was let down by the GUI size and fonts. In my case, normal is not comfortable and large is way too big. The sound doesn't wow me either. Will keep testing it.

Dmitry is a filtering/distortion expert. I've yet to see something top Diversion on that manner. Well looks like Dmitry topped him self today. That harmonic filter :tu:
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

I'll say, gotta admit that the default size is about an inch too small. it's readable but barely.

my guess is Sches is a mac user, these guys never knew 1080p, they went right from the 90's to Retina and 4K.

Now that I've tried it: I want it, but only if the UI size / font rendering is fixed. I have a 29" ultrawide at 2560x1080. Patch names and value displays are just plain unreadable, and some of the other text is still hard to see. Large size is readable but doesn't fit on the screen. Buying a new monitor, running at a different resolution, or somehow bringing the monitor closer to my face so I can use this particular plugin is just not an option.

Otherwise:

- I'm not that fond of the harmonic filter for the most part -- it has an "off" sound to it I can't put my finger on. (And the display seems glitchy; it keeps showing a single bar until I move the Shape knob, then it shows the full display, but then it might go back to a single bar after I stop turning it). I notice few of the presets use it.

- Some of the other filters are magical though, and I actually can't believe what some of those models do with drive/res :o

- I like the osc section generally. Serum obviously has the advantage in wavetable editing, but some of the FX in this one are stunning. Unison... sometimes just seems wrong and weird, and other times it is PERFECT, airy, silky, as if it were a really sweet effect applied on the final output rather than something happening in the osc section. It's worth the times when it sounds wrong for those times that it sounds right. :)

- I'm just not interested in the glitch seq and arpeggiator at all.

- Presets seem to be pretty good, it's not all WUBWUBWUB and supersaws.

- Even full price seems more than fair.

- fix the UI please :)

acYm wrote: my guess is Sches is a mac user, these guys never knew 1080p, they went right from the 90's to Retina and 4K.
Apple hardware supported 1080p when it was available but generally mac users used higher resolutions. 24" iMacs date back to the early '00s. and soon after were 30" apple monitors. video output often supported very high resolutions in their day. so most mac users were using > 1080p resolutions in general. Then came retina, 4K...

Out of the box there are some things that I didn't much like, like the low number of default voices and delay on most patches. But those things are easy to edit, and I'm making my own presets that I like better. I'm working with envelopes, effects, the POS control in the OSC section, and of course the harmonic presets, and it's great fun.

I'm trying to think how to describe the sound. The plucks remind me of Chromaphone and Bazille, and the harmonic editing reminds me of what I'd get with my Kawai K5000R additive synth. I guess additive and spectral synths sound similar.

I like the patch management system, which reminds me of the ones in U-he synths. Simple and usable.

I'm fine with the UI labels, but what's in the text boxes (like preset names) is a little too small.

foosnark wrote:Now that I've tried it: I want it, but only if the UI size / font rendering is fixed. I have a 29" ultrawide at 2560x1080. Patch names and value displays are just plain unreadable, and some of the other text is still hard to see. Large size is readable but doesn't fit on the screen. Buying a new monitor, running at a different resolution, or somehow bringing the monitor closer to my face so I can use this particular plugin is just not an option.

Otherwise:

- I'm not that fond of the harmonic filter for the most part -- it has an "off" sound to it I can't put my finger on. (And the display seems glitchy; it keeps showing a single bar until I move the Shape knob, then it shows the full display, but then it might go back to a single bar after I stop turning it). I notice few of the presets use it.

- Some of the other filters are magical though, and I actually can't believe what some of those models do with drive/res :o

- I like the osc section generally. Serum obviously has the advantage in wavetable editing, but some of the FX in this one are stunning. Unison... sometimes just seems wrong and weird, and other times it is PERFECT, airy, silky, as if it were a really sweet effect applied on the final output rather than something happening in the osc section. It's worth the times when it sounds wrong for those times that it sounds right. :)

- I'm just not interested in the glitch seq and arpeggiator at all.

- Presets seem to be pretty good, it's not all WUBWUBWUB and supersaws.

- Even full price seems more than fair.

- fix the UI please :)
Hey, that's what I said. Oops. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Speaking of presets, is anyone able to browse/audition patches by using your QWERTY keyboard up/down arrows? Or even the left/right arrows? I tried in both Studio One as well as Reason, but can't get it working. Truly irritating if Dmitry makes you click on the little arrows with your mouse to do this. :x :x :x Please tell me I'm missing something obvious!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote:Speaking of presets, is anyone able to browse/audition patches by using your QWERTY keyboard up/down arrows? Or even the left/right arrows? I tried in both Studio One as well as Reason, but can't get it working. Truly irritating if Dmitry makes you click on the little arrows with your mouse to do this. :x :x :x Please tell me I'm missing something obvious!

Nope! My experience too.

And I'm also joining the choir for an Intermediate GUI size (or a bigger standard one, currently the standard one is a little uncomfortable)

And a few glitches:

- Sustain Pedal doesn't 'hold' sequences (to keep them playing)

- When playing chord seqs the velocity of ANY note controls the velocity of the WHOLE sequence (?)

Return to “Instruments”