One Synth Challenge #105 - Thorn by Dmitry Sches (J. Ruegg Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DS Audio Thorn

Taron,

No worries, there. My musical preferences are like the Irish. You can *try* to conquer them, but before you know it, you are the one shouting "Erin go bragh!" at the English, with a beautiful Irish lass at your side.

TrojakEW wrote:Ahh trial. No thank you. :P Skipping this round. But I will be here to listen and vote. Good luck.
So, paying for amazing software to support the developers is bad?

Taron wrote:Woooot, Trojak!? I believe, this would be a real pity, because you could do quite a bit more with this one, really. :|
I think, you should reconsider or at least take a look. It won't hurt! ;)
Nope. For me it is like watching at cool toy behind window in store. No fun :zzz: if I cant use it anytime I wish. I rather use junk toys and have fun anytime I want and return to that toy anytime I want play with it again.

Still think that tools doesn't make you master. True master can use any tool. It is not want tool can make for you but what you can make with it. Some users here can beat others here while using even noisetar in this round. :oops:

I'm awaiting another fantastic track from you as always. :violin:

Awww, man... of course, I wouldn't- nor can ever- be mad at you for your ideology there. I understand it. My philosophy seems similar, though, it clearly comes from a different angle: I love to support and boost affordable tools to motivate more artists to take advantage of them and realize they do not need financial privileges to produce fantastic stuff. At the same time, I really know what it's like to be a developer and in a better world people would understand that it takes a full-time commitment to create these tools properly, but that means it has to get paid like a full-time job, too. This only happens, if you somehow get curiously lucky, be it by miraculously hitting the perfect nerve of the market or stumble upon a shameless opportunists, who knows how to keep milking you while milking everyone else twice as much, or something of that kind. I'm sure there are a few more cases, but it feels like those are the big ones.
In other words: If I find out that a developer creates a tool I find fantastic for my purposes and I see myself using this tool a lot and with pleasure, I'm thrilled when I can give them something in return.
With Dmitry, I must say, I'm very, very impressed. The big trouble I'm having is that I generally hardly ever use any synths from anybody for my music outside of the OSC (of which I haven't made any in a long time again, paha...pfff!). That kinda puts me into a bit of a dilemma, but if I were using other synths, I would most certainly consider buying this one (As of now! We'll talk later in a few weeks, haha!).
Last edited by Taron on Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm kind of itching to buy a new Synth toy, perhaps this will be it? A sub $100 great sounding and great looking synth will be hard to resist. Although I spend so much time on OSC I don't have time for anything else :lol:

Just win the osc and you can keep it forever!

Few qestions - sorry if these overlap with the previous comments, but after reading the rules:

1. Most Native DAW effects may be used - but how about native daw instruments?

2. 3rd party other non-sample instruments, e.g. drum machines?

3. Commercial synth patches/soundbanks are not permitted - but aren´t all the factory presets of any effects or instruments, Thorn included, commercial? Specify,please.

4. No use of samples, sample libraries or live sounds - this means, no sample-based drum machines? But how about algorithm-based? (see Q- 2, too)

5. Midi plugins are allowed, or sending midi from one Daw to another. What does this mean? ALL Midi-plugins? See Q2, too.

Use thorn for every sound,no other instruments or samples.*Use what effects you like as long as they are in your DAW or free versions on the net

*External chorus, flanger, phaser is not permitted,but if the chorus, flanger, phaser is in the synth its good to use

ere2learn wrote:Use thorn for every sound,no other instruments or samples.*Use what effects you like as long as they are in your DAW or free versions on the net

*External chorus, flanger, phaser is not permitted but if its in the synth its good to use
Effects "in your DAW or free" - what does this mean, e.g. if I have the Live standard, I have bunch of DAW presets, but if I have the Suite, much more, the Suite is not free effects are "inside the DAW".

How about not free 3rd party effects, other than listed.

Can the Thorn used, demo version?

Once again, sorry for these fundamental questions.

Here is my understanding, but I'm also new here:
Harry_HH wrote:1. Most Native DAW effects may be used - but how about native daw instruments?

2. 3rd party other non-sample instruments, e.g. drum machines?
The only allowed instrument is Thorn. That means you also have to use Thorn for drums. No native DAW instruments are allowed. It doesn't matter how a sound is otherwise produced (samples, algorithms, or otherwise). All sounds must originate in Thorn.
3. Commercial synth patches/soundbanks are not permitted - but aren´t all the factory presets of any effects or instruments, Thorn included, commercial? Specify,please.
Patches distributed with the synth are allowed. Basically it comes down to this: If you have to pay to get a patch, you can't use it. If the patch is freely available to all, then it's fair game.
5. Midi plugins are allowed, or sending midi from one Daw to another. What does this mean? ALL Midi-plugins? See Q2, too.
"MIDI Plugins" refers to plugins that modify MIDI data before it reaches a plugin. For example, you can use an arpeggiator, chord generator, transposer, scale quantizer, etc., to feed notes into Thorn, so long as it is a native DAW MIDI effect, or a free 3rd party plugin.

There are *RULES posted, you know. Imagine simply that those rules would answer all your questions! :D

Also...I wonder how long it will take until someone wises up and sees that the NOISE section in Thorn actually allows for samples to be loaded, hahahahaha.... hoping it goes without saying that people don't use that as the wrong invitation to actually use samples. :ud:

Harry_HH wrote:Effects "in your DAW or free" - what does this mean, e.g. if I have the Live standard, I have bunch of DAW presets, but if I have the Suite, much more, the Suite is not free effects are "inside the DAW".

How about not free 3rd party effects, other than listed.
If the effect is built-in to the DAW, you can use it, except for the effects the rules forbid (chorus, phaser, flanger, rotary, etc.). It doesn't matter what version of the DAW you have. If an native effect preset only comes with Live Suite, you can still use it.

Other than the native DAW effects, you cannot use any plugin you have to pay for. All 3rd party effects must be free.
Can the Thorn used, demo version?
Please refer to the first post. A free 1-month trial code will be given to all contest participants so you can use Thorn for one month without paying for it.

@Teilo, nicely explained!

@Taron, The sample thing definitely a no no, good call

Taron wrote:There are *RULES posted, you know. Imagine simply that those rules would answer all your questions! :D

Also...I wonder how long it will take until someone wises up and sees that the NOISE section in Thorn actually allows for samples to be loaded, hahahahaha.... hoping it goes without saying that people don't use that as the wrong invitation to actually use samples. :ud:
Why bother comment if you won't bother answer?

Thank you for Teilo. :tu:

Return to “Instruments”