What is this sound that I hear in numerous shows and movies?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

foosnark wrote:
goldenhelix wrote:Lol, yeah bowing one piece of metal is a "far cry" from bowing... a piece of metal.
Sure, bowing a cymbal is exactly like bowing a violin string, or a piece of aluminum foil, or a bar from a glockenspiel, or the edge of a french horn, or the wing of a 747. It's all just metal. The size, shape, thickness, residual stresses, and even which metal are simply decorative. This is why violins sound exactly like cymbals.

:scared:
All those things you mentioned don't have anything in common except being made out of metal, while when you cut oil can and make a fake cymbal and that way giving it a similar attributes of a real cymbal it can give similar results when you bow both of them. The sound may differ, but it surely won't be a night and day difference like Wagtunes was implying, the same way a guitar sounds like guitar with both nylon and metal strings.
Being less narrow minded and understanding the context in which something was posted and not taking everything literally won't hurt you.

AstroCastro wrote:
foosnark wrote:
goldenhelix wrote:Lol, yeah bowing one piece of metal is a "far cry" from bowing... a piece of metal.
Sure, bowing a cymbal is exactly like bowing a violin string, or a piece of aluminum foil, or a bar from a glockenspiel, or the edge of a french horn, or the wing of a 747. It's all just metal. The size, shape, thickness, residual stresses, and even which metal are simply decorative. This is why violins sound exactly like cymbals.

All those things you mentioned don't have anything in common except being made out of metal, while when you cut oil can and make a fake cymbal and that way giving it a similar attributes of a real cymbal it can give similar results when you bow both of them. The sound may differ, but it surely won't be a night and day difference like Wagtunes was implying, the same way a guitar sounds like guitar with both nylon and metal strings.
Being less narrow minded and understanding the context in which something was posted and not taking everything literally won't hurt you.
Except that sound sounds nothing like a cymbal. And nothing anybody can say will ever make me believe that it sounds anything like a cymbal.

So yeah, to me, it's night and day.

YMMV.

foosnark wrote:

Well, to be fair, the differences in size, shape, thickness, residual stresses, and even which metal are used mean that the range of variations in sounds which cymbals can produce are pretty vast in the first place. So much so, IMO that the sweeping 'cant be a cymbal' is highly misplaced.

And I strongly suspect that waggy has never actually done any cymbal bowing. I have, though. Mostly 'prepared' cymbals, and what he's attributing to 'heavily processed' easily fits in with some of the results Ive had.

For example if a cymbal is inverted, and one adds a handful of AA batteries worth of weight into the bell, and its not clamped at all but eg laid on one's upturned hand, the pitch and tone will be considerably lower and deeper, and can easily be that sample.
For more buzz/rattle, add some small nuts and screws into the bell. Moving the cymbal rather than the bow makes a difference too; the tension is on the metal not the string, and when its directly perpendicular you can sometimes get very smooth, even, tones.
'Body resonance' can even be added by suspending the cymbal a few cm away from something with a resonating chamber or membrane; Ive mostly tried a bodhran or frame drum.

(Sometime I ought try making some twine and wire 'bows'. Never enough time, never enough time...)

(edit : and a 'gizmotron' style rubberised wheel driven from an arduino-controller motor. Never enough time, never enough time...)
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Yeager wrote:Waterphone :
AIR Structure has a Waterphone patch in the Sound Effects: Urban category :D
Windows 10 and too many plugins

The East Asian kit in Battery 3 has some cool sounds in it, a couple of them are similar to that YT video's sound.

Ah that sound... used a lot by Marty Simon in his Lexx scoring.

So we're clear now, right? Even if this specific example was an oil can in the original Spectrasonics source, it's the type of thing you get when bowing cymbals and other resonant metals that can be bowed.

Because that's exactly what it sounds like to me. I've done it (cymbals) and the variety of possible results is pretty wide, even with one bow and one cymbal.

If you have a cheap bow, I highly recommend trying on other things (metal or otherwise), besides the officially bowed instrument your bow came with (even better: just get an extra bow for messing around). Lots of materials can resonate with bowing and the results are usually entirely different from striking the objects.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

All these sounds are done with sample libraries now. Especially in film and commercial jobs. It’s all just a prefabbed sample that they plug and play. I’ve never gotten into these prefabbed sample libraries but I would wager it’s one anyone can buy off the shelf. Maybe UVI or a kontakt library or some prefabbed over priced sample player. Blows my mind that these guys buy a prefabbed sample player, load up a midi composing software, hit play, and get paid and win a Grammy or Emmy. Every talks about how talented they are blah, blah, blah... #notmyworld

/endrant

whyterabbyt wrote:
foosnark wrote:

Well, to be fair, the differences in size, shape, thickness, residual stresses, and even which metal are used mean that the range of variations in sounds which cymbals can produce are pretty vast in the first place. So much so, IMO that the sweeping 'cant be a cymbal' is highly misplaced.

And I strongly suspect that waggy has never actually done any cymbal bowing. I have, though. Mostly 'prepared' cymbals, and what he's attributing to 'heavily processed' easily fits in with some of the results Ive had.

For example if a cymbal is inverted, and one adds a handful of AA batteries worth of weight into the bell, and its not clamped at all but eg laid on one's upturned hand, the pitch and tone will be considerably lower and deeper, and can easily be that sample.
For more buzz/rattle, add some small nuts and screws into the bell. Moving the cymbal rather than the bow makes a difference too; the tension is on the metal not the string, and when its directly perpendicular you can sometimes get very smooth, even, tones.
'Body resonance' can even be added by suspending the cymbal a few cm away from something with a resonating chamber or membrane; Ive mostly tried a bodhran or frame drum.

(Sometime I ought try making some twine and wire 'bows'. Never enough time, never enough time...)

(edit : and a 'gizmotron' style rubberised wheel driven from an arduino-controller motor. Never enough time, never enough time...)

I bet you haven't made six hundred soundbanks though.

I don't think anybody's made 600 sound banks.

Farts
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

tehlord wrote:Image
Is that Nathan Fillion?

wagtunes wrote:
Except that sound sounds nothing like a cymbal. And nothing anybody can say will ever make me believe that it sounds anything like a cymbal.

YMMV.
How many cymbals have you personally bowed?

pdxindy wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

YMMV.
How many cymbals have you personally bowed?
You know what? I've never played a violin but I sure as hell know what one sounds like.

Return to “Instruments”