Sampletank 4: alternate reality new features announced

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In an alternate reality, where you get to decide Sampletank 4's future, what would the new features be? Don't complain about past versions, but imagine what would make it better. Maybe Peter will get word back to the developers.

Personally I'd like the synth engine revamped with a proper mod matrix, more modulaters, and a lot more ways to sculpt the sound before it hits the effects.
Last edited by braj on Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

GUI make-over.

Disk streaming
Sample load optimizing (load on demand).
Purged preset load
Memory footprint optimization
Better Keyswitch mapping capabilities
Easier, more complete controller mapping
Instrument Scripting
A browser that doesn't give my hand tendinitis a clickathon kick in the nuts
Scalable , fully size-able GUI that doesn't suck ... of Falcon, Halion and Kontakt, ST3 is the worst interface by far. Having a worse interface than Kontakt is hard to do.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

SJ_Digriz wrote:Disk streaming
Purged preset load
Instrument Scripting
A browser that doesn't give my hand tendinitis a clickathon kick in the nuts
Scalable , fully size-able GUI that doesn't suck ... of Falcon, Halion and Kontakt, ST3 is the worst interface by far. Having a worse interface than Kontakt is hard to do.
That's comprehensive and concise! Nice!
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

By far, a better browser system with filter options and less sub-folders. The present browser system is very inefficient, especially with Syntronik and Miroslav Philharmonik 2 also loaded into SampleTank 3.

I would definitely use SampleTank more often if searching through presets was streamlined, such as with Arturia's Analog Lab 2/3 or Steinberg's HALion 6.

Ability to read wav and aiff files.

SJ_Digriz wrote:Disk streaming
Purged preset load
Instrument Scripting
that's a stripped down version of kontakt! :D :D

MPE compatibility.

bosone wrote: that's a stripped down version of kontakt! :D :D
That wasn't the intent, but oddly ST3 seems to be to Kontakt what Falcon is to Halion.

However, I'm fine with ST4 staying on the "player" side of things. But, it needs significantly better patch load and playback optimization options (streaming/purge/on demand).

The browser is an entire world of crappy. It was crappy in ST2 and nothing was done to make it better.

But, do we have to worry about this before 2030? :hihi:

SJ_Digriz wrote: But, do we have to worry about this before 2030? :hihi:
Yes. :)

Good thread.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote: But, do we have to worry about this before 2030? :hihi:
Yes. :)

Good thread.
ROFL :clap:

well then let's do a better job ....
The Good ...
-ST3 Sounds great.
-FX Sound great and have great variety.

-Many of the libraries are VERY good. For example I constantly use the American Guitar, and the orchestral percussion. The drum libraries are really good, but I have them in BFD3 which has more comprehensive control over the same library. So basically, I think you guys do a great job of instrument creation in general (see The Bad about articulations and controls).

-The "idea" about what ST3 is is good (at least this is how I see it)... i.e. ST3 for me lends itself to building a better MT32. So, it is a good song sketch sampler. So, all the various components for building a basic "band" are there, including performance pages, main channel routing, mixer routing and such. Obviously, most of us think the browser and GUI could be improved to support the workflow for developing those "band" setups. Of all the samplers, this is the best for this particular use. I hope ST4 continues to focus on workflow around this process. Hopefully that makes sense.

The Bad:
-The GUI needs to be resizable. Obviously 4k support is here. More attention needs to be paid to fonts and contrast. Personnally I think the channel load section dominates the main page unnecessarily. But, that's just me. Where I really struggle is the instrument pages. They are just a mess of knobs. Sometime illogically laid out and inconsistent. Again, this is all my opinion.

-I think you guys get beat up on the browser constantly, so consider this another swing of the club. There are a lot of choices about how to do a browser, the current one is a really bad choice. It needs to be multi-column with filtering and user metadata. Like favorites or stars or something so that we can easily filter content. The foldering thing must die a horrible flaming death in the pit of misery .. dilly dilly.

-Articulations. Although the audio for the most part is excellent, the number of articulations and how they can be manipulated via crossfade or crossmod is not sufficient once you get to a certain level of song complexity. I don't know exactly how to keep the patch simplicity which is a strength of ST3, but expand the articulation and articulation control capabilities ... consider it a challange :)

-Controls. I find the current method of macro setup clunky and insufficient. I've said this about Kontakt as well. I have a MIDI control keyboard and a knob controller. I want to have a map to controls, then fill the controls from the instrument. I should only ever have to map 1 time. But, 8 is not enough.

The Missing
-Disk streaming...

-Purged preset load. I want to preload environments/bands without waiting an hour. See the next feature in the list

-Sample load optimizing (load on demand). This doesn't have to be all fancy with analysis mode or anything like that. Again, if we are concentrating on a sketch environment that level isn't required. However, the ability to wait until a note is played to load the sample would help memory management tremendously.

-Memory footprint optimization. Only load the needed samples. i.e. if I only hit the ffC5 on the flute, only load ffC5.

-Sample Import, Sampling. I'm not sure about this. I do find myself wishing I could toss something I recorded onto a patch quite a bit. But this is a slippery slope of simple snippet import for layering ... that will turn into how come your sample edit screen can't do x feature war thing. I'm not trying to turn STx into Halion. But, there should be some way to get a happy medium on the sample import front.

-Instrument Scripting. I'm not sure about this one as STx is about simplicity. But, this goes with my sample import request.

I only need GUI update. FREE GUI update for ver 3. No need for ST4

I owned an MT32 brand new because I couldn't afford a D50, and then they came out with the imo much better D10, I think. I was disappointed and dissatisfied with it. It was noisy.

Let's get MODO Guitars out before ST4... ;)
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

Return to “Instruments”