VK-1 Viking Synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Teksonik wrote:
wagtunes wrote:That some people don't like this synth doesn't surprise me. Some people don't like Omnisphere. Some people like only ONE synth and hate everything else. So why is this such a surprise or shock?
I own and love dozens of synths. Which is why VK-1 doesn't impress me at all.

A mono only synth two weeks before 2018 ? Mono option yes but mono only ? When you think of the quality of freeware synths that are available now VK-1 simple doesn't make the cut at any price. It sounds bland (in my opinion), has a limited feature set and has a pretty awful GUI which I'm surprised the usual suspects haven't complained about being too small.
wagtunes wrote:To me, it's a perfectly usable synth.
So how much did you pay for it ?
wagtunes wrote:It may not be anything earth shattering but compared to most of the SynthEdit synths that I downloaded early on, this thing makes sushi out of them. So everything's relative.
How many of those SynthEdit synths did you "pay what you want" to get .vs how many did you get for free ? Like I said maybe in 2003 this might have been relevant but only newbies or those with only a few bottom tier synths in their arsenal would be impressed with it now. (in my opinion)

Any commercial synth released now has to do one or both of two things to make a splash:

1. It has to do something new.

2. It has to do something better.

VK-1 does neither. :wink:

Anyway out of fairness I'll try VK-2 when there is a demo. I realize VK-1 is just a test conversion of an older synth, a move that might not have been the best for Blamsoft. Perhaps VK-2 will do something new or do something better....... :shrug:
See, the thing is, this is just your opinion. It's not universal law for everybody.

My criteria for getting a synth?

1) It works.

2) I can read the GUI

3) It doesn't sound like a cat being strangled in my backyard.

I'm really not very picky when it comes to synths. That's probably why I have so many. I hear some of the criticisms of some synths and it boggles my mind. But that's okay, because just as I'm allowed to be easy going when it comes to synths, others are equally allowed to be very discriminating. I don't criticize others for not liking a synth, whereas you've blatantly called people stupid for liking this thing. Please don't make me find the post.

That's what I take exception to, though personally I don't really care anymore because I'm done letting myself get sucked into the drama around here. But really, it's okay if some people like this thing. It doesn't make them stupid, though they may be stupid for other reasons beyond the scope of this forum.

Different strokes for different folks. Live and let live.

If we all did that this would be a much nicer world.

Teksonik wrote:
Nielzie wrote:I paid a few dollars. It was worth it.
I wouldn't use VK-1 if it was free......see my points above. :shrug:
Thank you, but I've decided to not let your points redraw me from using VK-1 on occassion. :D

But I'm a stubborn person. Two of my favourite synths are Poly-Ana and the XILS 3, that should say enough :hihi:
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

I have to say, the demos pretty much nail the sound of most softsynths - flat and lifeless.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

do_androids_dream wrote:I have to say, the demos pretty much nail the sound of most softsynths - flat and lifeless.
Out of curiosity I've just listened to the soundcloud demos (formerly blocked by my privacy badger plugin) and indeed somehow they made those sound horrible :o :lol:
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Don't get the hate. It's a pretty good synth, even though im not a moog fanboi.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

do_androids_dream wrote:I have to say, the demos pretty much nail the sound of most softsynths - flat and lifeless.
:lol:

wagtunes wrote: See, the thing is, this is just your opinion. It's not universal law for everybody.
It's common sense. :wink:
wagtunes wrote:My criteria for getting a synth?

1) It works.

2) I can read the GUI

Well VK-1 "works".....one out of three ain't bad. :lol:

Now you know good and well if they were asking $100 for this you'd be all over it for being too expensive and I'm willing to bet the house that you would be complaining about the small GUI. Just because you can pay a dollar for it doesn't change it's sound.
wagtunes wrote:you've blatantly called people stupid for liking this thing. Please don't make me find the post.
Oh please do find the post where I called people stupid.
wagtunes wrote: I'm done letting myself get sucked into the drama around here.
Steve, you are the drama around here. :roll: (did you forget who started this thread asking "what do you guys think" ?).

Someone gave an opinion that you don't like so it's right to victim mode.....rinse and repeat..... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:
wagtunes wrote: See, the thing is, this is just your opinion. It's not universal law for everybody.

1) It works.

2) I can read the GUI

Now you know good and well if they were asking $100 for this you'd be all over it for being too expensive and I'm willing to bet the house that you would be complaining about the small GUI. Just because you can pay a dollar for it doesn't change it's sound.
wagtunes wrote:you've blatantly called people stupid for liking this thing. Please don't make me find the post.
Steve, you are the drama around here. :roll: (did you forget who started this thread asking "what do you guys think" ?).

Someone gave an opinion that you don't like so it's right to victim mode.....rinse and repeat..... :shrug:
Whatever. Have a nice day.

PS - I can read the GUI just fine.

PPS - My apologies. It was Ghetto who called people stupid but he deleted his harsh comments. So I mistook you for him.

wagtunes wrote:
Teksonik wrote:

1) It works.

2) I can read the GUI

PPS - My apologies. It was Ghetto who called people stupid but he deleted his harsh comments. So I mistook you for him.
I didn't call anyone stupid. I did make several unwarranted comments. I still don't think that this is a very interesting synth, but, it's not as bad as my (deleted) comments implied.

The audio demos are indeed weak and I don't have any need for this, but then, I try very hard not to be a collector.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ghettosynth wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Teksonik wrote:

1) It works.

2) I can read the GUI

I didn't call anyone stupid.
I wish you hadn't deleted those comments but you said, and I'm paraphrasing, "Anybody who can't hear how bad this sounds is an idiot."

Maybe I can find a cached version of this thread on Google somewhere. Sorry, but you did something to that effect.

Sorry if my english isn't correct sometimes but what r you argue about...if u argue about the quality no doubt it's quality mono synth,it's good for some basses and fx ,probably for something else i don't see right now,but that's it ... couldn't replace any modern soft synth,but in case u music style find it useful,why not...i'm not going to donate anything cuz have more important purchases to do and not enough money ,but will contribute with sounds,which can make it usable for other guys :):):)
Try this modificated default patch
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by VELLTONE MUSIC on Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wagtunes wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Teksonik wrote:

1) It works.

2) I can read the GUI

I wish you hadn't deleted those comments but you said, and I'm paraphrasing, "Anybody who can't hear how bad this sounds is an idiot."

Maybe I can find a cached version of this thread on Google somewhere. Sorry, but you did something to that effect.
Nope, I may have laughed at their claims, but I did not call anyone an idiot nor did I say that anyone was stupid.

I feel already the Christmas love in KVR threads. :D
Take a :hug: people. :wink:

ghettosynth wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Teksonik wrote:

1) It works.

2) I can read the GUI

Nope, I may have laughed at their claims, but I did not call anyone an idiot nor did I say that anyone was stupid.
Well, then I imagined it. Anyway, it doesn't matter. I have more important things than this synth to worry about.

Cinebient wrote:I feel already the Christmas love in KVR threads. :D
Take a :hug: people. :wink:
There is no love in this place. Get used to it.

Return to “Instruments”