Best VST instrument for relaxation, Ambient, sounds

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Any synth + a lot of reverb. Even a basic sawtooth wave without a filter can sound atmospheric with some reverb. Doesn't even need to be a commercial one, there are enough good free reverbs.

jancivil wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Absynth is fine too and a lot less money but it doesn't have the sound quality of Omnisphere.
Yeah, it doesn't have that 'quality'. Which not everyone is going to agree is better with Spectrasonics. I respect the sound design but I don't love it. The sound quality, in particular.
Omnisphere's filters are out of date. Absynth's filters are even more out of date. This also extends to the effects which are, in general, less impressive, but perhaps more interesting, with Absynth.

I'm not really impressed with the "sound quality" of Spectrasonics either. Unless one can articulate exactly what contributes to that quality, I believe that it's just a subjective impression of the presets. To me, Spectrasonics is largely synonymous with bombastic in that regard.

Still, I'd use Omnisynth for some things if it were competitively priced, it isn't. However, this is why I use Absynth, it is absolutely competitively priced if you get it with Komplete and has enough interesting corners for it to fit from time to time. I would never use it if I wanted the sound of analogue, it's out of date DSP just doesn't let it shine there.

However, with respect to ambient, it's interesting because of how easy it is to create textures and soundscapes quickly with your own samples. The effects aren't top notch, but, they're interesting for that context.

Still no examples though really. OP, what styles of music are you targeting? Post a few videos so people can get better idea.

ccDuckett wrote:A great starter without spending oodles of $$ would be Art-Pyrite by Artvera- it's veritably designed for ambient, relaxing music! There's a free version and a paid version (also available in a Kontakt version).
Thank you, that's a great find !

+1 on Art Pyrite and, if you don't mind 32-bit plugins, look here:

https://archive.org/details/HGFortuneNFG

For the still excellent synths of the lamented HG Fortune. :love: :hail:

You guys can now add our FREE product Ample Cloudrum to the list of relaxation VSTI. The sound can also be drastically modified: http://amplesound.net/en/pro-pd.asp?id=27

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-WHhsH0VZI

Jason Washburn wrote:.

You guys can now add our FREE product Ample Cloudrum to the list of relaxation VSTI. The sound can also be drastically modified: http://amplesound.net/en/pro-pd.asp?id=27

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-WHhsH0VZI
64 bit?

"Omnisphere's filters are out of date. Absynth's filters are even more out of date. This also extends to the effects which are, in general, less impressive, but perhaps more interesting, with Absynth."

An interesting statement re the filters in Omnisphere. Would the same thinking apply to my classic analog synths, like the Roland MKS80 and my Moogs? Some of those are really old... guess their filters are also dated and therefore they cannot sound as good as a modern VST, like..... Absynth.

I would prefer a synth with support of samples or wavetables. Most of this sounds benefits from additional sampled sounds and Absynth is a very good example for this.
But often the effect is also a important part.. for ambient/chillout it needs often some additional "special" effects to bring it to life. For instance some of this "bigger than live reverbs" like Eventide Blackhole or Valhalla Shimmer in combination with a delay/phaser etc.

Slaapstadseun wrote:"Omnisphere's filters are out of date. Absynth's filters are even more out of date. This also extends to the effects which are, in general, less impressive, but perhaps more interesting, with Absynth."

An interesting statement re the filters in Omnisphere. Would the same thinking apply to my classic analog synths, like the Roland MKS80 and my Moogs? Some of those are really old... guess their filters are also dated and therefore they cannot sound as good as a modern VST, like..... Absynth.
My guess is that you really have no idea how stupid your argument is? I'm not going to explain it to you. You should be honest with yourself in this moment, do you code? Do you code DSP filters? If the answer is no, accept that you are out of your depth and just move along.

Listen to Chris Rea. You will find relaxation music isn't just synth

ghettosynth wrote:Omnisphere's filters are out of date. Absynth's filters are even more out of date.
Whether Omnisphere's filters "are out of date" or use the latest code is, neither here nor there for the topic at hand. To create the sounds the OP is after we don't need the latest and greatest filters. Omnisphere is capable of making all the sounds we need in this context, with or without the huge variety of filters that are available in Omnisphere. Same applies to Absynth.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:Omnisphere's filters are out of date. Absynth's filters are even more out of date.
Whether Omnisphere's filters "are out of date" or use the latest code is, neither here nor there for the topic at hand.
Whatever we discuss is whatever we discuss. We were talking about the sound quality and yes, in that context, whether the filters are out of date does matter.

As I said, tools like Absynth, that have out of date filters and DSP, have their use and their other positive attributes are responsible for that. They also have their limitations, and out of date DSP is one of those limitations.

As far as whether one needs better quality tools for ambient, well, I certainly do. Maybe you just can't hear the difference? A lot of ambient that is in my playlist absolutely makes use of the attributes of either true analog or high quality modeling. Not all ambient is shakuhachi flute and forest and ocean sounds.

fanodu1 wrote:Any synth + a lot of reverb. Even a basic sawtooth wave without a filter can sound atmospheric with some reverb. Doesn't even need to be a commercial one, there are enough good free reverbs.
I would've agreed with that, if there wasn't the last sentence. I haven't come along any free reverb, which is remotely close to the quality of Eventide Blackhole and Ultrareverb, the Exponential Audio reverbs, the 2C Audio reverbs, or also the NI classic reverbs. In fact, most sounded very metallic, and odd. Even TB-Reverb for 30 € sounds better than all the free stuff i ever used.

To people new in the game, i can only recommend to demo some payware reverb, and not waste time with the free stuff. It's not worth it really. Get the Computer Music issue with Warmverb, and use that, it's not half bad. Creating a reverb is art, nothing you do while passing by, and give it out for free.

We were talking about the sound quality and yes, in that context, whether the filters are out of date does matter.

No it does not! :lol:
If the filters were capable only of farting noises, then yes, it would matter. But they are capable of anything one would ever want to do with ambient, relaxation pads and textures.

The quality in Omnisphere is top notch throughout. But you don't own it so you don't know, it's understandable, but perhaps you should refrain from commenting on stuff you don't know about?
A lot of ambient that is in my playlist absolutely makes use of the attributes of either true analog or high quality modeling. Not all ambient is shakuhachi flute and forest and ocean sounds.
We don't need the latest zero-delay-feedback filters to make pads and textures. We don't need the best filter overdrive to make such sounds either.

I can assure you, you can make shakahuachi-forest-ocean-free ambient sounds in Omnisphere with ease. The filters can manage just fine.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote: We don't need the latest zero-delay-feedback filters to make pads and textures. We don't need the best filter overdrive to make such sounds either.
Yes it's clear, YOU don't. However, you are not even close to being an authority on what other people need or what is needed for ambient. In fact, I think most people would largely do well to ignore most things that you say. So, put a cork in it. If I want to talk about the quality of synths as I see it with respect to the topic at hand, I will.

Return to “Instruments”