Roland JV-1080 finally, as virtual instrument!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Roland Cloud

beely wrote:That's great, cheers Fernando...
Will download and take a look! :tu:

In response to the earlier conversation about Performance mode I took another look at what the XV-5080 offers here.

There are only two preset Performance banks, A and B, of 32 entries each. Bank A are all multitimbral sequencing templates, not very inspiring. Bank B is better - again, there are quite a few splits, but no really inspirational sounds, a few are ok.

The XV factory user bank (programmed for the 5080 directly) though fares better - there are 64 Performances here, and these sounds are in general much better and more inspirational. If I get time I may look at transferring these across to equivalent DAW-specific setups (eg, Logic layered Patches, Ableton Live racks etc) using multiple instances of the plugin to recreate them.

But that's a little way down my list of priorities, so we'll see...
I agree. nothing inspiring. but having the option to layer is great. I don't need nor never asked for these performances, but I'd very much like an option to create my own - I do so all the time with Omnisphere. you can call it a poor man's sound design I guess.

I have all the XV 5080 sounds on the Integra 7, and I've been using the live set mode to create performances, although its a bit difficult with the module, and you can only have 64 of them (you can save much more on the USB stick though. I guess they've done so in order to differentiate the I7 and the JP50/80).
I will eventually sell the I7 in favor of an RD2000 so for my use, having the option to layer in the JV1080 plugin is very appealing.

I know it's not directly related to the JV plugin but how does SRX compatibility work between the XV and the Fantom X. I mean, since both can load SRX expansions but don’t have the same MFXs, there should be some type of conversion regarding the FXs. Unless SRX patches don’t use MFXs. I don’t know?

Pardon my ignorance but I'm new to this Roland esotericism. I just love those romplers anyway.

sinemotor wrote:I know it's not directly related to the JV plugin but how does SRX compatibility work between the XV and the Fantom X. I mean, since both can load SRX expansions but don’t have the same MFXs, there should be some type of conversion regarding the FXs. Unless SRX patches don’t use MFXs. I don’t know?

Pardon my ignorance but I'm new to this Roland esotericism. I just love those romplers anyway.
nice notion!

Wikipedia -

According to Roland,[1] the following products accept SRX expansion boards. The number in parenthesis indicates the number of SRX boards each unit can accept.

Fantom workstation (2)
Fantom-S series (4)
Fantom-X series (4)
Fantom-XR rack unit (6)
Juno-G (1)
Juno-Stage (2)
RD-700, RD-700SX, and RD-700GX (2)
V-Combo (2)
G-70 (1)
E-80 (2)
Roland MC-909 (1)
SonicCell module (2)
XV-88 (2)
XV-5050, XV-3080, and XV-2020 modules (2)
XV-5080 (4)
V-Studio 700 (1)

I’m sure any instruments that support the SRX cards will have the required FX to play the included patches properly.

beely wrote:I’m sure any instruments that support the SRX cards will have the required FX to play the included patches properly.
sure, but probably some magical auto conversion is happening - maybe.

tristan- wrote:
beely wrote:I’m sure any instruments that support the SRX cards will have the required FX to play the included patches properly.
sure, but probably some magical auto conversion is happening - maybe.
... or all of them use the bread'n butter MFX (the ones that are common to ALL the units).

After all, the SRX logic is all about getting new PCM sounds, not magical processing and programming abilities :shrug:

@ beely: I also collected some banks that use the SRX expansions. I didn't upload them because they would be useless without the PCMs, but I can upload them if you would like to check whether they use some special MFX or just the basic ones.
Fernando (FMR)

Yeah, chuck them up, more data is always useful! Thanks.

the VST contains all SRX expansions?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote:the VST contains all SRX expansions?
It does not.

I wonder if you can (physically) sample the pcm files with the right settings....or if its even worth the effort (for use in a WT synth)

Guess you could do that in a completely dry patch, with everything defaulted (flat envs, filters disabled, no FX).

AnX wrote:I wonder if you can (physically) sample the pcm files with the right settings....or if its even worth the effort (for use in a WT synth)
Yes, you can - I did that with the D50 plugin, but those recordings belong to Roland, so you can't distribute them. However, with the D50 there are no multisamples, so it's easy to play a sample at the root pitch and record it (although someone made a tool to extract the samples from the plugin directly which is easier.)

With the JV, they are multisamples, so you either need to figure out the multisample points (both key and velocity if necessary), or just do larger multisampling sessions and capture everything, so it's potentially more tedious if you want to retain the accuracy.

Ah ok, so i might try the D50 one of these days, for my own use of course (not sure if they would be much diff to the tons of WT samples i have, but if i get bored one day...)

EvilDragon wrote:Guess you could do that in a completely dry patch, with everything defaulted (flat envs, filters disabled, no FX).
Indeed, im more than familiar with sampling techniques :wink:

AnX wrote:Ah ok, so i might try the D50 one of these days, for my own use of course (not sure if they would be much diff to the tons of WT samples i have, but if i get bored one day...)
To be honest, the transients imo are not that special or interesting, on their own. The D50 is a "more than the sum of it's parts" type thing, I feel... I only did it as I'd never had a D50 and always wanted one and just wanted to investigate the sample content out of interest.

Return to “Instruments”