Roland JV-1080 finally, as virtual instrument!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Roland Cloud

Munin wrote:Yamaha S-YXG50?
They're doing amazing things back then around 2000, especially the S-YXG100 Plus (GM + Full XG + 1-voice VA) or PVL (with VL synth) and the S-PLG expansions: VA,FM, Drums, Harmony, etc. Listen to this for some nostalgia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HktmauKA7Cs

Even today, it would be awesome if they release a full MU100R with all expansions. It's going to compliment the Sound Canvas VA for the ultimate gaming music experience. I prefer the full audio quality of the MU100R which is a direct rival to the SC-880, compared to the newer with RCA outputs.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

sinemotor wrote:SRX Ultimate Keys
It may have all the waveforms of the SR-JV80-04, but to have all the 512 patches of the SR-JV80-04 is my teenager's dream :D especially on both synths. I own the board and hate to choose between using it in the JV-1080 or JD-990, especially to load 64 patches at a time.

Hopefully the SRX expansions will be available within the JV-1080 plugin. But maybe to own it, we should choose the related SRX plugin.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Munin wrote:As I understand it the JV 1080 has a complete bank of General MIDI presets. Does anyone know if it is possible to use the JV 1080 VST as a GM output device through VST MIDI Driver / SAVIHost etc just as you're able to do with the Sound Canvas VST or Yamaha S-YXG50?
The GM side isn't emulated at all. The XV-5080 also has a GM bank, which isn't in the plugin. I've had some other pressing things to do recently so haven't made much further progress on the convertor, but I should be back on it soon - I'll take a look at whether the GM stuff can be emulated - until then, if you're on the Cloud, you have access to the Sound Canvas plugin, which is essentially the same thing in GM format.

crystalmsc wrote: Even today, it would be awesome if they release a full MU100R with all expansions. It's going to compliment the Sound Canvas VA for the ultimate gaming music experience. I prefer the full audio quality of the MU100R which is a direct rival to the SC-880, compared to the newer with RCA outputs.
That wont happen because there's basically no nostalgia factor behind the MU series. Yamaha sometimes makes weird decisions (like many japanese companies...) but they aren't that out of touch. That would be as random as Korg reviving one of their obscure desktop modules instead of the 01/w or the Trinity.

Cubase already comes with the sounds from the original Motif (along with select stuff from newer models like the Motif XF and Tyros 3), which is basically a MU2000 with higher quality waveforms and the PLG150-PF board pre-installed.

Romantique Tp wrote:
crystalmsc wrote: Even today, it would be awesome if they release a full MU100R with all expansions. It's going to compliment the Sound Canvas VA for the ultimate gaming music experience. I prefer the full audio quality of the MU100R which is a direct rival to the SC-880, compared to the newer with RCA outputs.
That wont happen because there's basically no nostalgia factor behind the MU series. Yamaha sometimes makes weird decisions (like many japanese companies...) but they aren't that out of touch. That would be as random as Korg reviving one of their obscure desktop modules instead of the 01/w or the Trinity.

Cubase already comes with the sounds from the original Motif (along with select stuff from newer models like the Motif XF and Tyros 3), which is basically a MU2000 with higher quality waveforms and the PLG150-PF board pre-installed.
I'm interested in your notions.

I have Halion Sonic 3 (had HS2 and HS2SE in the past) and I've been using the Motif series since the dawn of its time, now have the Montage. I never heard about what you speak of (and it certainly doesn't sound like it). you probably don't refer to actual VOICES don't you? tell me please which waveforms/keybanks are you referring to?

I think this monthly/yearly fee thing is absolutely stupid and I refuse to support any company who decides on this model.

vata44 wrote:I think this monthly/yearly fee thing is absolutely stupid and I refuse to support any company who decides on this model.
I agree. but then you also don't enjoy those lovely D50 and JV1080 emulations while Roland don't feel your nono in their pockets ;)

I own a V Synth and have the whole D50 built in. I don't need their stinking plugins :P

Monthly payment for VSTs is the stupidest thing I could imagine. I understand for something like Adobe who is always adding more features, but I doubt they will update the plugins constantly based on user feedback.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

Romantique Tp wrote:
crystalmsc wrote: Cubase already comes with the sounds from the original Motif (along with select stuff from newer models like the Motif XF and Tyros 3)
What are you basing this on? I know Halion Sonic was developed by the Yamaha team, but I've never seen it stated (except here by you) nor confirmed that the Halion patches are *the same* as the Motif patches...

tristan- wrote: I'm interested in your notions.

I have Halion Sonic 3 (had HS2 and HS2SE in the past) and I've been using the Motif series since the dawn of its time, now have the Montage. I never heard about what you speak of (and it certainly doesn't sound like it). you probably don't refer to actual VOICES don't you? tell me please which waveforms/keybanks are you referring to?
Just a few examples:

-Halion Sonic 3's Natural Grand (and variations) is the Motif CF3 piano.
-The "VX" sounds included with Cubase Pro are all recent Motif sounds.
-A large portion of the Halion Sonic SE presets are rough copies of presets from the first Motif, and they use the same base waveforms.

The latter was confirmed by Steinberg and Yamaha themselves:
Page 13: https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/b ... _xf_en.pdf
Top of the page: https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/support ... rview.html

The HalionOne presets were touched up and polished when Halion Sonic SE replaced it. They say "selected MOTIF sounds" because Cubase AI only comes with a General MIDI sound set. More sounds are included with Cubase Artist, and Cubase Pro adds even more. They're exclusive to Cubase users and aren't included with the full version of Halion Sonic, but can be loaded by it.

Romantique Tp wrote:
tristan- wrote: I'm interested in your notions.

Just a few examples:

-Halion Sonic 3's Natural Grand (and variations) is the Motif CF3 piano.
-Almost everything included with Halion Sonic SE are rough copies of presets from the first Motif.

The latter was confirmed by Steinberg and Yamaha themselves:
Page 13: https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/b ... _xf_en.pdf
Top of the page: https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/support ... rview.html

The HalionOne presets were touched up and polished when Halion Sonic SE replaced it. They say "selected MOTIF sounds" because Cubase AI only comes with a General MIDI sound set. More sounds are included with Cubase Artist, and Cubase Pro adds even more. They're exclusive to Cubase users and aren't included with the full version of Halion Sonic, but can be loaded by it.
That's okay.
I don't know you, but I (without trying to insult ofcourse) assume that you don't own a Motif?

all I can find in the statements you show me is "HALion One software sample player with selected MOTIF sounds".
to me, while it might be some one the GM soundset and MAYBE the natural grand (which is nothing alike, I just listen to both of them) they sound virtually NOTHING alike.

btw, if you want to have a serious comparison - you wrote that:
which waveforms in Motif? who said that? where?

you also write:

-A large portion of the Halion Sonic SE presets are rough copies of presets from the first Motif, and they use the same base waveforms.

where can I see that comparison? did you make it? how do you know it? did you try it yourself?

I think your statements regarding Motif XF and Tyros 3 (where did you bring that one?) are far fetched.

also, a simple google search for "halion motif cubase" show mostly comments by you in various forums (such as steinberg.net) exclusively.
https://www.google.co.il/search?q=halio ... &gws_rd=cr

anyways, any sensible person who ever played a Motif whatever, and as you may know, MOTIF always builds on the previous synths - Motif ES contained all Motif Classic plus double the ROM size, Motif XS contained all Motif ES plus double the ROM size, Motif XF contained all XS etc. MONTAGE contains the entire XF waverom inside. non of these sound even remotely close to Halion Sonic...

so when you're the only person who states this (the XF and Tyros 3 stuff wherever it came from) it would be up to you to post some serious AB tests to prove your claims. otherwise it doesn't exist (if it did, I'm sure we'd see more hype around this!) unless you couldn't give a damn about what others think about your claims.

btw, a 2017 post on steinberg.net:

"Of particular interest given the Steinberg/Yamaha dynamic would be a “Motif Select” bank of instruments and effects. A handful of guitar patches, a couple of ep’s, a few efx modules such as the gorgeous wah-wah sound that Yamaha does better than anyone and I’m betting a premium price could be had for an expansion or two of, say, 64 patches apiece? Naturally I’m spitballing and a Motif expansion is unlikely, but it just seems that expansion itself is such a natural and obvious direction that hasn’t really been utilized to this point and I’d like to see that change during this cycle. "

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=113712

so purely according to this post, which is not what I base on (which is owning the original units) - not a single comment on this thread said oh wait, select voices from Motif XF, Tyros 3 and the entire Motif Classic are in...
Last edited by tristan- on Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sometimes it’s really crazy in these forums. People claim to hear a difference between different series of synth production batches or converters or filter editions but can’t hear that Roland, Korg or Yamaha use the same f**king samples in nearly all of their romplers or virtual instruments since the dawn of time. No matter if this is a Korg M1, Oasys, Kronos or even their PA arranger keybord series, usually more than half of the sound sources are based on the same sample material. Yamaha uses the same sample stock in a PSR arranger keybord, Motif, Montage, Tyros or Halion Sonic. Sure, they always add new samples, but only in small portions. Everything else purely relies on patch programming, effects or architecture related stuff. Steinberg even endorsed the Halion Sonic piano as Yamaha S90 piano somewhere around Cubase 6…
No need for this kind of simple-minded proof. Just play any of these instruments side by side without fx and even the dumbest can hear the similarities...

tedannemann wrote:Sometimes it’s really crazy in these forums. People claim to hear a difference between different series of synth production batches or converters or filter editions but can’t hear that Roland, Korg or Yamaha use the same f**king samples in nearly all of their romplers or virtual instruments since the dawn of time. No matter if this is a Korg M1, Oasys, Kronos or even their PA arranger keybord series, usually more than half of the sound sources are based on the same sample material. Yamaha uses the same sample stock in a PSR arranger keybord, Motif, Montage, Tyros or Halion Sonic. Sure, they always add new samples, but only in small portions. Everything else purely relies on patch programming, effects or architecture related stuff. Steinberg even endorsed the Halion Sonic piano as Yamaha S90 piano somewhere around Cubase 6…
No need for this kind of simple-minded proof. Just play any of these instruments side by side without fx and even the dumbest can hear the similarities...
That's right - they called it S90 and this is it. It sounds similar to the S700 piano in the S90ES. but nothing sounds similar with the rest of the samples in HS2SE.

if you think that the Korg M1 uses the same base samples as the Kronos, and a stock midpriced Yamaha PSR arranger uses or even shares the same base samples as the Montage or Genos, best of luck to you. :hihi:

btw, regarding your Korg statement -

Let me inform you that the Korg PA4X (their TOTL arranger) and the Korg Kronos (their TOTL workstation) don't share a SINGLE waveform between them. not only that, they're being independently developed by different Korg teams worldwide.

That's not saying that the MicroKorg is not a rehash of sounds from the Korg Triton, as the Yamaha MX line is a rehash of the XS sounds - and proudly so.

tristan- wrote: snip
Hold on, you're confusing things. I'm talking about Halion Sonic SE, you're talking about the full version of Halion Sonic.

Most of the sound set of the full version of Halion Sonic is actually higher quality versions of sounds from Hypersonic. I've compared the Motif XF with Halion Sonic side by side and realized that there were fewer Motif sounds than I probably made it sound a few months ago. For example, the two Rhodes EPs in Halion Sonic are the same as the ones from Hypersonic 1 and 2.

It's Halion Sonic SE that has mostly old Motif sounds.

The Motifs DON'T include all of the samples from previous versions. What you said IS definitely true for the XS, XF, and Montage, but the XS is missing a ton of stuff from the original Motif and even the ancient Motif ES/Yamaha S90 ES were already missing plenty of waveforms.

The VX sounds are based on select Tyros 3 MegaVoices, but use key switches instead of velocity to switch between articulations. These sounds are also included with the newer Motifs, but some of the Tyros versions have more articulations.
Page 12 and forward: https://de.yamaha.com/files/download/ot ... l_v10c.pdf

You'll notice that the articulations are exactly the same as the VX sounds, even having the same order and the sound effects at the top of the keyboard, with two exceptions: In Halion Sonic SE, the soft and medium articulations have been combined into a single "soft" articulation with velocity switching, and "Large Strings" has the stereo "Ensemble" patch from the original Motif as an articulation... for some reason.

Return to “Instruments”