Roland JV-1080 finally, as virtual instrument!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Roland Cloud

Ingonator wrote:
BMoore wrote:I wish multitimbral and general midi compability became a part of the audio world vocabulary again.
Roland Cloud also offers the Sound Canvas plugin which is multitimbral and offers GM, GM2 and GS compatibility.
You can route multiple MIDI tracks to one of the 16 parts in the Sound Canvas plugin. I have not found multiple audio outs for it yet but for each part you have a quite big selection of built-in FXs comparable and mostly even similar to those in the JV-1080 plugin and other Roland ROmplers.

Besides that if you need multiple instances of the JV-1080 plugin this is no problem with the plugin...
The CPU use of teh JV-1080 plugin (and also the D-50 plugin) is much lower than with the analog modeled plugins.
So it is true. Germans has no humor. :lol:
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

I was still using my JV-1080 3.5 years ago. I like certain sounds from it. I'd still be using it, but cut back to a single synth for easier setup and tear down. My back thanks me for it. For me it's not nostalgic, I just never stopped using it. But I won't deny, I was stuck in the 90's synthwise until I finally started updating my equipment a few years back.

I had mentioend it many times but the PCM samples included in the JV-1080 plugin are NOT a 1:1 copy of those in the JV-1080 hardware. They are the stereo samples (all 1083 of them) that were included with XV-3080, XV-5080 and later also with Integra-7 (the INT waveform bank).

In the D-50 plugin Roland used the PCM waves of the V-Synth expansion (or V-Synth XT rack) which includes additional ones compared to the original D-50. With the JV-1080 plugin it is possible that they used the INT waveform bank of the Integra-7 rack.

As mentioend today the FXs in the plugin are similar to the Fantom X6 and the synths just mentioned besdies the JV-1080 hardware were ceated in the year 2000 (the XV-5080) and later.
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Frantz wrote:I have a JV-2080 in good working order. I also have a JD-800 in the attic. I never think about using them because they are dated romplers. Modern soft synths + Kontakt sample libraries wipe the floor with them.

Why do people want to go back to 90s Rompler Hell when we have so many superior synths available now?
I heard the hoover sound is making a comeback... :party:

Ingonator wrote:
SLiC wrote:I guess there is a lot of nostalgia for these digital romper based synths that were expensive and lusted after in the 90's before computers replaced the hardware. There are no doubt some nice sounds, but nothing compared to what can be done with newer VSTRs such as Omnisphere, Halion, Falcon and Avenger for example. Personally for this type of sound I like the Korg Wavestation and M1 just as much which comes with a lot of the expansion cards and can be bought as part of the new Korg bundle with the amazing ARP for under 150 bucks...
The comparison to something like e.g. Omnisphere, Falcon or Avenger seems to be quite pointless for me and while i like the M1 plugin the synth engine of the JV-1080 plugin is a LOT more compex than that of the M1 plugin.
missing the forest for the trees

layzer wrote:you telling me you can tell what rompler synth sounds like a korg, roland, yamaha, emu, or whatever? i think you could not. they sound different, but i dont think any are distinct enough to be singled out.
Yes. Actually, the Roland, Korg and Yamaha workstations of that era have very distinct personalities. The Roland stuff has a clean, silky sound, scooped mids, very smooth and glossy, and a little bit "thin".

The Korg character is thicker, less hifi, more "chunky", less glossy, fatter and thicker mids.

The Yamaha stuff is much drier, natural, less FX heavy and more "studio" and "neutral" sounding (all for want of how you interpret adjectives).

When you know the boxes, it's actually very easy to tell their general character apart (and I always preferred the Roland sound of that era, which I why I chose to buy the XV-5080 over the Korg Triton and Yamaha Motif back then...)
Last edited by beely on Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chk071 wrote:Ok, a rompler it is then. Thanks. :P
signal flow of sampler

sample------>filter------>amp

Signal flow of rompler

ROMsample-------->filter----->amp

So if you mean does it do subtractive filtering , then yes .
Does it do
Osc sync , no only jd 990 does
FM , not really ;;only built in square modulators ( fxm )
RM ..yes +

So you have 4 partials ( oscilators ) and each has a filter +dedicated filter envelope , 2 lfo's and and amp stage +modulation matrix to re-route hardwired destinations .
Osc routings for generating more complex tones by ring modulation , or serial filtering ...apply 18db boost pre/post filter ..
Lot's of stuff ...shame some people don't look beyond the presets ...
YOu can do basic vector synthesis when used the mod matrix and inverted values , assigning an xy controller ( software ) etc .
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

What i rather meant was whether the actual sound generating is VA or not. Obviously, it's sample based, so, that is that.

The 2080 is a was a beast of a ROMpler. The FXM + Booster are what made it special for me along with effects like Hexachorus etc.

I'm quite excited to check out the demo.
Fight Apathy or don't.

Ingonator wrote:
mholloway wrote: Sometimes that means using primitive tools.
So do you think that the JV-1080 plugin is "primitive tool"? Actually it is quite far from that...

No, I don't. But the person I was replying to obviously does. I was simply making a point about why people choose to use gear that other people think is 'dated' or 'out-dated.' Primitive was a stand-in word for that, meaning: older, not up to the state-of-the-art standards of, say, Omnisphere or that sort of thing. But I feel dumb having to explain my point, frankly, it's all rather obvious. People still love oldschool stuff. The guy I was replying to seemed to need a lesson in exactly Why that is the case. the 1080 *is* primitive compared to a lot of stuff available today. That doesn't mean I'm calling it primitive, as a unit itself -- it's all relative, man.

Anyway. This is like explaining to someone (not you Ingo, but to the guy who couldn't understand why anybody wants the JV-1080 emulation) why some gamers still want games modeled on the 16 bit era (or earlier!). Show him Shovel Knight, and he'll scream "that's crap, I have an xbox 360 with Destiny!" as if that somehow meant nobody should like Shovel Knight.

Moving along.

chk071 wrote:What i rather meant was whether the actual sound generating is VA or not. Obviously, it's sample based, so, that is that.

But no , the jv is pure sample playback , but there are some verry high quality waveforms from old analogue
beauties .
Basic raw waveforms , some with filtering / modulation already printed ( recorded ) and others not.
This was the jv 04 vintage card , and is also included in the vintage keys card srx 07
So enough raw material to do some subtractive filtering on .
When you say V.A. as in virtual analogue , no ...oscilators are not calculated on the fly ...
The integra does have V.A. , but honestly ...roland is full of shit when using these kind of terms ..they are the kings of marketing and inventing new catchy terminology
The supernatural synth uses sample based noise oscilators , I just managed to do a 100% phase cancelation on 2 recorded noise samples ...( from their so called V.A. engine in the integra ..)
Yes I was using the V.A. noise type A .

back on topic
Eyeball exchanging

Stopani wrote:The 2080 is a was a beast of a ROMpler. The FXM + Booster are what made it special for me along with effects like Hexachorus etc.

I'm quite excited to check out the demo.
I get you , but the booster is just a hard clipper inserted between both filters , with and adjustable gain input ( 18db )

https://imgur.com/a/JrIDY
Eyeball exchanging

chk071 wrote:What i rather meant was whether the actual sound generating is VA or not. Obviously, it's sample based, so, that is that.
Well roland's 'gaia' was marketed as a V.A. synth but used sample based oscilators.
THat's roland for you :party:
Eyeball exchanging

Ingonator wrote:
Ingonator wrote: Anyway the JV-1080 plugin is not just a simple 1:1 emulation, the advanced features make it closer to the XV-3080 and XV-5080 synths.
This also includes having all 1083 PCM waves from those XV synths instead of just having the 448 original waveforms of the JV-1080.
Additionally the plugin like those XV synths has true stereo waveforms for each of the 4 "Tones", has 10 "structures" (that define the routing of 2 of the 4 tones including e.g. having serial filters, ring modulation and a "booster"), 2 additional LPF modes from those XV synths and also many more FXs than the real JV-1080 .
Finally i found that the 78 effects as included with the JV-1080 plugin are not indentical to those in the JV-1080/2080 and XV-3080/5080 hardware synths but to those as included with the Fantom X6 workstation (first version from 2004).
Hre is a list of effects included with the JV-1080 plugin that were not included with the XV-5080 (on which some other advanced features in the JV-1080 plugin are based on) but later with the Fantom X (on which all 78 FXs in the plugin seem to be based on):

04: Low Boost
05: Super Filter
06: Step Filter
09: Humanizer
12: Step Phaser
13: Multi Stage Phaser
14: Infinite Phaser
22: VK Rotary
31: 3D Step Flanger
32: 2Band Chorus
33: 2Band Flanger
34: 2Band Step Flanger
37: VS Overdrive
38: VS Distortion
44: Long Delay
45: Serial Delay
53: Time Ctrl Delay
54: Long Time Ctrl Delay
55: Tape Echo
58: LoFi Radio
59: Telephone
60: Phonograph
61: Pitch Shifter
63: Step Pitch Shifter
78: Symphathetic Resonance

The numbers at the beginning are the FX numbers in the plugin (MFX effects).

The "Super Filter" FX includes a multimode filter with 4 modes (LPF, BPF, HPF, Notch) and 3 slopes (12dB, 24dB, 36dB). It also has it's own LFO for adding modulation.
The "Step Filter" FX has the same filter modes and slopes included but uses a 16 step sequencer for modulation (sequencer included with the FX controls).

The "Step Pitch Shifter" includes a 16 step sequencer (same for some other "Step" FXs). This modulates the pitch using the step sequencer included with the FX controls.

The "2Band Chorus" has a Low and High band (+ dedicated chorus controls) and you can adjust a Split frequency (200 - 8000 Hz).

For details on all effects in the JV-1080 plugin you can have a look in the manual of the plugin or the Roland Fantom X6 manual.
You can download the manual for the JV-1080 plugin here:
https://www.rolandcloud.com/catalog/legendary/jv-1080
direct link to the PDF file: https://www.rolandcloud.com/getattachme ... S&ext=.pdf
Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

D-Fusion wrote:
Frantz wrote:I have a JV-2080 in good working order. I also have a JD-800 in the attic. I never think about using them because they are dated romplers. Modern soft synths + Kontakt sample libraries wipe the floor with them.

Why do people want to go back to 90s Rompler Hell when we have so many superior synths available now?
When they want to remake or make tunes with the sound of that era or are coverbands.
They aren't that crappy just because the technology has gotten better.
Once they where premium products and people actually made music with them you know ;)
Nostalgia

Like with 80s themed tv shows, movies, rereleases of nintendo old consoles.

Return to “Instruments”