is there anything else like Output's Signal pulse engine

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Am getting quite keen on this, but Signal is pricey, and also 3 years old.

Is there anything this good, perhaps newer, that costs less?

https://output.com/products/signal

I already have their Analog Strings and it's brilliant.
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

I'd have thought quite a few of you used pulse generators
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

Hey Kev, I remember when this first came out I was like "Okay, it sounds cool but it's nothing I can't do by taking a few sequencers and synths and doing my own thing."

The problem with things like this (I call them gimmick instruments) is that they pretty much come with a finite number of "sounds" for lack of a better word. Eventually, you run out of them UNLESS...and here's where the "what's the point" comes in, you dive into it and do more than just use the presets, as in learn to "gasp" program it.

If I'm going to go through all that trouble, why not just save the money and put this kind of stuff together myself? And make no mistake about it, everything you hear in Signal can be done with a number of sequencers and synths. Because that's all Signal really is when you take it apart.

Bottom Line: There is nothing Signal can do that I can't do myself. And with a $200 price tag, just not worth it. Which is why I don't think you're going to get a lot of response here. I think most of the folks here do this stuff by hand.

wagtunes
I think most of the folks here do this stuff by hand.
Do you think so?

I'm only part convinced.

I'm always looking for a system that flows & thinks as fast as musical thoughts fly into my head.

I'm searching for things that think for me, in a cool way.

Searching through 40 waveforms just for LFO1 is not cool.

There must be many more who feel like me.

The 40gb of Signal content helps me get over the one trick pony doubts.

I also have Output's Analog Strings and it works beautifully, helping me find & create sounds that are new to me. And I like it looks cool too.

I looked in Kontakt Hub for lookalikes, but was either disappointed with the design/work method, or the sounds. But good if you're looking for a niche, like say, Vangelis or a movie drone, they abound.

I got some gift money from the family hat at xmas, and can afford Signal, but it is a lot for such a specific tool. Still v tempted though :lol:

kevvvvv wrote:wagtunes
I think most of the folks here do this stuff by hand.
Do you think so?

I'm only part convinced.

I'm always looking for a system that flows & thinks as fast as musical thoughts fly into my head.

I'm searching for things that think for me, in a cool way.

Searching through 40 waveforms just for LFO1 is not cool.

There must be many more who feel like me.

The 40gb of Signal content helps me get over the one trick pony doubts.

I also have Output's Analog Strings and it works beautifully, helping me find & create sounds that are new to me. And I like it looks cool too.

I looked in Kontakt Hub for lookalikes, but was either disappointed with the design/work method, or the sounds. But good if you're looking for a niche, like say, Vangelis or a movie drone, they abound.

I got some gift money from the family hat at xmas, and can afford Signal, but it is a lot for such a specific tool. Still v tempted though :lol:
You know, I could be wrong. But I think I've been around here long enough to figure out that the popular stuff is what gets talked about. That nobody has responded to this thread tells me a lot.

Don't get me wrong. I heard it when it first came out and I thought it sounded great. I just couldn't justify spending $200 on something that's just a shortcut to doing things that "could" be done by hand if you wanted to. And yeah, I get that it's a lot of work to duplicate this engine one track at a time, but again, there's that $200 price tag. That's the kind of money I pay for a workstation like synth or a sample library that's going to make me sound like the New York Philharmonic. And even at $200, you're not going to get much. My orchestral collection has cost me a small fortune. But it sounds damn good. THAT is the kind of stuff I can justify spending $200 o more on. Not something like Signal.

Hopefully, somebody who has it will chime in and give their opinion OR somebody who DOES have something similar. Though I'm not personally familiar with anything as complex as Signal for what it does. And yeah, if I had money to throw away, I'd probably pick this up too. Because it is cool. But for $200, I'm cheap enough that I'm content doing this stuff myself.

I got Signal in the last sale and have to admit it is stunning!
Once you get past the 'it only does pulse stuff' thinking, it is a very powerful engine with a lot of mod options.
The only other instruments I can think of that come close are the Wide Blue Sound Eclipse and Orbit libraries for Kontakt.

Edit: just saw that you had Analog Strings (that's the one I have my eye on next!), so you should already know how useful the macro system is once it's assigned the way you want. It's a wonderful thing for performance.

I'm still tossing a coin.

Signal is a 2014 programme, so it's getting long in the tooth for a premium price.

I've written to ask Output if they have plans to reduce the price this year.

btw I'm loving Analog Strings. I'm doing stuff I could never do before.

The working method/user experience works really great for me too. There's no fuss.

I quite like the sound of the 80s expansion pack too.

U-He synths like Zebra, Hive, Synapse Dune 2 comes with variety awesome made sequence/motion presets. If i need something quick in that area i just open those. And if you have Komplete 11 Ultimate there are tons of them via Kontakt libraries that come with K11, Reaktor Synths and non-reaktor synths, just use Komplete Kontrol to browse for these kind of sounds and you will find more then enough :)

Add to that Hybrid 3 wich was recently 1 euro also have quite a number of pulsating sounds, same with Air Xpand 2 if recall right :)

And here is where i agree with Wagtunes, i also call it Gimmic instrument like all Output's instruments are :)

Declined on Signal. I offered $135, but Output won't reduce the price.

$199 is too much for a 4 year old plug.

But the good news is I bought Neon expansion for Analog Strings which, on first hearing, is a great addition which I'm v pleased with.

Thanks for everyone's advice. All useful.

:)

Elektronisch wrote:U-He synths like Zebra, Hive, Synapse Dune 2 comes with variety awesome made sequence/motion presets. If i need something quick in that area i just open those. And if you have Komplete 11 Ultimate there are tons of them via Kontakt libraries that come with K11, Reaktor Synths and non-reaktor synths, just use Komplete Kontrol to browse for these kind of sounds and you will find more then enough :)

Add to that Hybrid 3 wich was recently 1 euro also have quite a number of pulsating sounds, same with Air Xpand 2 if recall right :)

And here is where i agree with Wagtunes, i also call it Gimmic instrument like all Output's instruments are :)
I‘ve already put it on my Black Friday 2018 list, but you guys persuaded me that I can save that monies for something more innovative, thrilling and worth-the-bucks... Thanks :clap:

Loving both Signal and Exhale as inspiring instruments. That’s why I got them and that’s what they do: inspire.

As an alternative i find infected mushroom's gatekeeper gets you closer as far as generating 'gate' type pulse rhythms.
Otherwise output's movement can do everything signal's pulse engine can.

Personally, after having tried Output bundle (and opting for the refund) id advise people to get movement instead especially if they have interest in signal. That way they can use their own sources.

So, i totally agree with what Wagtunes is saying. Gatekeeper and movement come with an impressive assortment of presets

I think exhale is the most interesting, something you can get out of synths.
dedication to flying

kevvvvv wrote:Declined on Signal. I offered $135, but Output won't reduce the price.

$199 is too much for a 4 year old plug.
kevvvv, from what I've seen in that past, Output has a Black Friday sale and possibly one other yearly sale at most. It's always 25% off, so their $200 instruments go for $150.
Mac Studio Max | 32GB | 12.6 | MOTU 828es | MOTU M4 | Studio One 6 | Logic 10.7

While I find signal great plus all the add ons… I dont think youll find them reducing price or giving a good discount… since day one they have been aiming for a high price… even previous customers have been offered laughable discounts to new product…. Like 10 or 20 dollars off… there seems to be a group of companies trying to keep the vst market high priced…. Output… heavocity… spitefire ect. While youve got others aggressively lowering prices like waves… where everything is a rotating 29 dollars

Return to “Instruments”