Current Best Value Commercial Software Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

Interested in how people percieve value. Are we all rational consumers who look for the best possible deal, or are we hopeless gear junkies who will buy stuff that makes us feel better?

So name your best value commercial software synth. :hihi:

[No agreed common meaning for value appears to exist here on KVR Instruments.]

My Personal Candidates So Far:

- Korg M1 [Sale $24.99] [Normal Price: $49.99]
- Korg Wavestation [Sale $24.99] [Normal Price: $49.99]
- Waves Codex [Sale $59.00] [Normal Price: $199.00]
- Waves Element 2 [Sale $59.00] [Normal Price: $119.00]
- Sonicprojects OP-X PRO-II [85 Euros]
- u-he ACE [69 Euros]
- Synthmaster One [$79.00]
- Linplug Spectral [$49.00]
- iZotope Iris 2 [$49.00]
- Synapse Audio The Legend [$99.00]
- Psychic Modulation Phonec 2 [$69.00]
- Togu Audio Line TAL-U-NO-LX [$69.00]
- Korg ARP Odyssey [$69.99]
- Linplug CrX4 [$49.00]

NOTE: Now people are suggesting Omnisphere 2, I think my question was answered. :hihi: Percieved value is subjective, but price is a significant factor. I leave the above list up as my own interpretation of value, which places price as the most significant factor and then what you get for your money. But by no means is this the final word on what value is for you.
Last edited by egbert101 on Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:20 pm, edited 32 times in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote:Interested in how people percieve value. :hihi: Are we all rational consumers who look for the best possible deal, or are we hopeless gear junkies who will buy stuff that makes us feel better?

Does sales or intro price counts?

Cinebient wrote:
egbert101 wrote:Interested in how people percieve value. :hihi: Are we all rational consumers who look for the best possible deal, or are we hopeless gear junkies who will buy stuff that makes us feel better?

Does sales or intro price counts?
Sure. :tu:

I'll kick one or two off:

Korg M1: $24.99
Korg Wavestation: $24.99

Does that represent value? :hihi:

For me 'they' are:
1. Korg KC
2. Korg ARP Odyssey for $69
3. Some synths even without a discount, like The Legend for $99 and ACE for 69 euro.
Last edited by EnGee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Then for me there are 2 plug-ins. Repro because it´s awesome and i got it for $69 and now got the upgrade to Repro-5 for free.
Then P900. It costs me a bit more, i think about 2 times but it´s worth it since it is my favorite synths now and i play nearly every day with it if i have time and it makes me happy and put a smile on me :D .
Then there is Zeeon, it´s iOS but it´s a commercial synth which has DSP on level as the 2 above and costs me just $10, got already in some months tons of updates and new features (also user requested) like a wavefolder (a very high quality one as well). And it will get more free updates for MPE, microtuning (maybe) and a lot more.
Maybe i could add Animoog since i got it for $1 and it is one of the most unique synths for me with character and outstanding moving sounds for live performance.
I could add Sculpture and Alchemy from Logic since they are worth alone the price of Logic for me but they might not fall in your category.
There are more but that would end in the usual "my favorite" synths lists.
So these are my best valued synths so far.

Cinebient wrote:Then for me there are 2 plug-ins. Repro because it´s awesome and i got it for $69 and now got the upgrade to Repro-5 for free.
Repro is now currently at full price of $149, so that has to be taken into consideration, however value does not necessarily mean price, it depends on what you are getting for your money too.

Spectral and CrX4 for $49 a piece. Not developed anymore, but they are still nice synths.
M1 and Wavestation when they are on sale, and even when they aren't, they are just $49 for each.
Synthmaster is a great synth, and you can find it on sale here and there.
ACE for 69 euros (around $82) is another one that sounds very good.

EnGee wrote:For me 'they' are (when discounted):
1. Hybrid 3 and XPand2! for one dollar! (Crazy!) Then upgrade for $69 (I think) for the whole package!
2. Korg KC
3. Korg ARP Odyssey for $69
4. u-he RePro for $99 now!
5. All great VA/Wavetable synths under $100 when discounted (for example, Dune2, Sylenth1, Massive, Largo, ...etc).
6. Some synths even without a discount, like The Legend for $99 and ACE for 69 euro.
Hybrid 3 is currently $149.99 according to the website and XPand2! is $99.99. u-he Repro is $149.99.

So the question was current best, not what was the best. :hihi:

Though it isn't my favorite plugin, if I could only have one plugin, the Korg M1 would probably be it, considering the range of sounds it can make. It is a steal for $25 but I actually got it for like $10 by getting the bundle for $50 on sale a couple years ago.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Examigan wrote:Spectral and CrX4 for $49 a piece. Not developed anymore, but they are still nice synths.
Iris 2 is $49.00 too. Question mark over future development. Even at those prices are they worth it? Or do they represent value? Which is the current best? (given those listed above).

braj wrote:Though it isn't my favorite plugin, if I could only have one plugin, the Korg M1 would probably be it, considering the range of sounds it can make. It is a steal for $25 but I actually got it for like $10 by getting the bundle for $50 on sale a couple years ago.
Agreed so far. :tu:

Oh look, it's another KVR favorites list with no real criteria to distinguish anything interesting at all about anything.

ghettosynth wrote:Oh look, it's another KVR favorites list with no real criteria to distinguish anything interesting at all about anything.
The criteria is best value of course. :hihi:

egbert101 wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:Oh look, it's another KVR favorites list with no real criteria to distinguish anything interesting at all about anything.
The criteria is best value of course. :hihi:
That includes maybe nearly all i like still to use.
My list of plug-ins i regret and don´t get the value is shorter :D

Return to “Instruments”