Gap In The Market: Powerful Sample Based But Inexpensive Workhorse Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

egbert101 wrote:
wagtunes wrote: Okay, so first we have to get some company to come out with ANY sample based synth that meets all your criteria at ANY price range and then we can maybe talk them into providing a stripped down version between $100 and $150.
It doesn't have to be stripped down. Sample synthesis is relatively easy to begin with. TAL can do it for £50. The guys did at Addict did it for $200$100.

Effects can be midrange, so perhaps just like any other midrange synth with a list of good quality effects.

Only obstacle I see is sample library. Here is where Omnisphere and others start to get ridiculous. The higher the quality sample library, etc., the bigger the cost.

But, a good way into it is to just add sample libraries as expansions, so if you want volume 1, you pay an extra $100 etc. So you have some choice on what samples you want.

Also, it's not about what I want, it's about the gap in the market, for something decent that isn't ridiculously expensive like Omnisphere, Falcon, and so on. A decent modern sample-based synthesizer that isn't yet another wavetable clone.

BTW: Tone 2 Electra 2 MIGHT fit the criteria I mentioned, apart from the price, which looks again to be overly expensive.
Well, you yourself pointed out the problem and you don't even realize it.

Size of library.

Omnisphere is $500 pretty much BECAUSE of it's library. Yes, it has a decent synth engine but nothing earth shattering. FX are excellent.

But the point is, if we do the expansion deal like you suggested, we're still talking a lot of money to end up with a decent synth unless we practically give the synth away.

But okay, fair enough. You're simply pointing out a gap in the market. Well given the logistics involved (the library itself probably being the main stumbling block as sampling instruments is expensive) is it any wonder why this doesn't exist?

Take my word for it. It won't. Not ever. Not in my lifetime anyway.

egbert101 wrote:
wagtunes wrote: Okay, so first we have to get some company to come out with ANY sample based synth that meets all your criteria at ANY price range and then we can maybe talk them into providing a stripped down version between $100 and $150.
It doesn't have to be stripped down. Sample synthesis is relatively easy to begin with. TAL can do it for £50. The guys did at Addict did it for $200$100.

Effects can be midrange, so perhaps just like any other midrange synth with a list of good quality effects.

Only obstacle I see is sample library. Here is where Omnisphere and others start to get ridiculous. The higher the quality sample library, etc., the bigger the cost.

But, a good way into it is to just add sample libraries as expansions, so if you want volume 1, you pay an extra $100 etc. So you have some choice on what samples you want.

Also, it's not about what I want, it's about the gap in the market, for something decent that isn't ridiculously expensive like Omnisphere, Falcon, and so on. A decent modern sample-based synthesizer that isn't yet another wavetable clone.

BTW: Tone 2 Electra 2 MIGHT fit the criteria I mentioned, apart from the price, which looks again to be overly expensive.
Electra 2 doesn't fit the criteria because the sample import sucks. The samples don't sound anything like the originals. Tone 2 does this thing to them that makes them sound like something else. It's not a true sample import as far as preserving the integrity of the sample.

As far as overly expensive, couldn't agree with you more.

wagtunes wrote: Electra 2 doesn't fit the criteria because the sample import sucks. The samples don't sound anything like the originals. Tone 2 does this thing to them that makes them sound like something else. It's not a true sample import as far as preserving the integrity of the sample.

As far as overly expensive, couldn't agree with you more.
Interesting. Oh well, will have to see how the market deals with it. I'm getting old too :hihi:
<List your stupid gear here>

Parawave Rapid combines wavetables with sample playback, it can also import user samples and WTs. It has nice modulation system and full set of effects and filters. It's more expensive than you want but it sometimes goes on sale for 100 EUR or so.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Tracktion's Collective comes to mind. Afaik it can be used with other DAWs, even though you'd have to buy Waveform to get it.

recursive one wrote:Parawave Rapid combines wavetables with sample playback, it can also import user samples and WTs. It has nice modulation system and full set of effects and filters. It's more expensive than you want but it sometimes goes on sale for 100 EUR or so.
I didn't know it did samples too. I thought it was strictly wavetable. I did see it on sale at 100 Euros... Oh well, maybe next time. :tu:

just save up and get absynth,
problem = solved.

it is actually "relatively inexpensive" it just isn't cheap.

What you can do with a sample is limited, relatively speaking. So maybe that's why developers have shied away from going that route.

Sounds like what you are looking for is basically TAL with more effects, which you can do already by using TAL with effects.

All that being said, I would more than welcome more vst intruments that were centered around a sample.

I agree with OP. A sampler with more possibilities. There is not so much going on in the sampler market.

Maybe more automation possibilities... Unfiltered Audio is open to suggestions, I'd love to see their take on this.

People are so negative here.
Last edited by tapiodmitriyevich on Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I will second Synthmaster 2.9. Its not a sampler but can be sample based. I find the stock gui and work flow to be quite good.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

tapiodmitriyevich wrote:I agree with OP. A sampler with more possibilities. There is not so much going on in the sampler market.

Maybe more automation possibilities... Unfiltered Audio is open to suggestions, I'd love to see their take on this.

Indeed, it's frustrating. :hihi: :tu:

vurt wrote:just save up and get absynth,
problem = solved.

it is actually "relatively inexpensive" it just isn't cheap.
I already have Absynth. :hihi: There is no problem to be solved, the thread is an observation.

EDIT: Since few seem to bother reading the original post, i'm going to lock this thread.
Last edited by egbert101 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tapiodmitriyevich wrote:

no! .

Return to “Instruments”