Is Padshop Pro Redundant If You Own Halion 6?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Unfortunately Steinberg do not listen to users. I asked for this and many other things (like a preset loader for the VST3) but they have their own agenda and go their own way. Fact is Padshop has been without updates for years.

Damn. I got the opposite impression from an article that someone posted. It implied that steinberg listened to input a lot from 5 to 6. I haven't experienced them much and am new to their plugins so we'll see how it goes!

The Halion team absolutely does listen to its users. Like I mentioned in another thread, almost everything added since the original Halion 4 was something suggested by a user. Of course they can't add everything at once, and this time it seems like they were specially busy with the new library and macro page creation systems and adding scripting support, all popular feature requests. All of these features are very complex and had to be extensively documented: https://developer.steinberg.help/displa ... r+Resource

I think the last time someone asked for this feature was years ago so feel free to make another feature request for Padshop/Retrologue preset import.

Sorry but that is not my experience with Padshop - they don't even bother responding on their own forum, I have a thread going back over a year with FRs in that they have just ignored. It has had no development in a couple of years either and that was just bugfixes, I get the impression they are not focussed on it. Maybe they just prioritize Halion?

aMUSEd wrote:Sorry but that is not my experience with Padshop - they don't even bother responding on their own forum, I have a thread going back over a year with FRs in that they have just ignored. It has had no development in a couple of years either and that was just bugfixes, I get the impression they are not focussed on it. Maybe they just prioritize Halion?
I like PadshopPro pretty much. Wonder if I should buy Halion to hedge my Padshop sound (if presets will someday migratable and if Padshop will become abandoneware)? Maybe too many IFs...

dandezebra wrote:Damn. I got the opposite impression from an article that someone posted. It implied that steinberg listened to input a lot from 5 to 6.
You want a feature, and they implement it at some point: They listen to their users. You want a feature, and they don't implement it at some point: They don't listen to their users. Rule no. 1 of the internet.

chk071 wrote:
dandezebra wrote:Damn. I got the opposite impression from an article that someone posted. It implied that steinberg listened to input a lot from 5 to 6.
You want a feature, and they implement it at some point: They listen to their users. You want a feature, and they don't implement it at some point: They don't listen to their users. Rule no. 1 of the internet.
Sure but sometimes the impression of "not listening" is more to do with not giving any evidence of listening or interest, such as through engaging with FR threads on their own forum, or updating stuff.

To who of the thousands of users should they listen, and to who not? And, more importantly, shouldn't they have their own vision of a software, and, isn't this vision what the people buy into when they buy the products? Let's pretend for a moment that they "listen to their users". The result will be a wild medley of different ideas, without a real concept, and a common theme. Nah, i don't think overy "listening to users" is a good idea when you develop software. Knowing the industry, and having an idea of what people want, and what is popular is much more important in my opinion.

Yeah but even if that was the case simple politeness would indicate engaging, even if just to explain why not. Look at how u-he handle this, they very much have their own vision but at the same time enable users to feel listened to and valued as customers.

Urs has a very clear vision of what he wants, and how his plugins should look like. Out of 20 suggestions people make for new features, he maybe implements 1, because he feels like it is in line with his perceptions of his software. The only difference to other companies is that he communicates it through forums. Opposed to not seeing what is happening "behind closed doors", when people make feature suggestions via email, or company employees have their ear on the market, to see what it suggests. There were quite a few suggestions to get an oscilloscope in the middle part of Hive, for example, but, it never was done, because they thought that the middle part could be used for something making more sense.

I guess maybe its useful to resurrect this thread.

Is the Halion 6 not of as much use or value now that PadShop Pro 2 is out? It seems the two software products from Steinberg overlap in features and functionality quite a bit (I may be wrong!)
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

There might be some overlap but I don't feel its that much that I would only use one and not the other...I use both frequently and I feel that the new spectral oscillator in Padshop 2 absolutely warrants having both even more. On the flip side, Halion 6 has soooo many other functions. I'm sorry I'm not doing a better job at explaining, but once you use both frequently, its much clearer to see how they both need to be in your arsenal :). If you are only a preset surfer, hmmm, I could see just having Halion 6, but if you are into synthesizing and/or design from the ground up, then having both is the way to go.

Padshop is so much easier to get into creating your own sound world. Even if Halion is capable of doing the same, it would take 10 times more time not including the steep learning curve for Halion. Its a technocratic monster with a manual that only the programmers of it could possibly understand... The documentation of Halion is "grottenschlecht" (craptastic)...
I have no problems of that kind in Padshop...

Return to “Instruments”