Spectrasonics sluggish after recent updates?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I did notice slowdowns when I first installed and mentioned it on one of these threads, but last night I finally took the time to really try things out. I will write support with my findings. I'm running Windows 10 in Ableton Live 9 and 10.

It is worse than I had originally thought. I figured, 5-7 seconds, I can wait for a new version. I'll live with it for the time being. But after last night, I realized how significant the issue is:
  • It significantly slows down my workflow.
  • Multis take even longer to load.
  • Sometimes I can't even switch to another sound until the load is complete.
  • I'm also noticing a loss of 1-2GB disk space while running.
  • And the worst of it...sometimes I get NO sound. I sometimes had to switch back and forth between two sounds a few times before it would start playing the sound I wanted.
I keep my old installs, so I went back to the previous version, and, like GMusic mentioned, I kept getting the error that a newer version was used and many sounds can't be loaded anymore. So I went back to the latest version.

I tried with the standalone, and things seemed to go better, but I didn't spend too much time in it. Maybe I'll try more tonight. I did most of my testing in Ableton Live 10. I went to Ableton Live 9 and had issues, but they didn't seem as bad. So, I wasn't sure if it is a combination of Live 10 with Omnisphere? But I concluded, since so many others are seeing this, that the DAW doesn't seem like a major factor.

I’m using Bitwig and it’s bad. Maybe I’ll try a different daw if I find time. But I think the daw isn’t the issue. Just a mess of a windows version update.

I have received a reply from Spectrasonics. I'll need to screenshot some dialogs they requested.

Yeah, I doubt it's DAW related. But I updated Ableton to Live 10 and updated Omnisphere at the same time, so wasn't sure if it was some mixture of the two.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier was, when I went back to the previous version, it worked like normal for those patches/multis I could get to work. Basically me trying various libraries from PluginGuru as he uses his own samples and files generated using older versions of Omnisphere. So no "created with a newer version" error when loading his patches. Ones that were problematic in the new version, loaded as normal with the previous.

Its crazy. Am I the only one who didnt notice it being sluggins? My project mate said he even had it crash few times after this new update, and it never crashed before.

I'm running it from 1TB SSD though, maybe the speed impact is so neglible then? I dunno.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

legendCNCD wrote:Its crazy. Am I the only one who didnt notice it being sluggins? My project mate said he even had it crash few times after this new update, and it never crashed before.

I'm running it from 1TB SSD though, maybe the speed impact is so neglible then? I dunno.
I'm running it on a 1TB SSD as well. 65gb to spare.

re you mac or windows? It seems to be Windows only where the issues are.

I'm on an internal 256 GB. I rebooted the computer which, in one sense, helped. The PluginGuru multis which were problems the night before were working quite well. But then I started scrolling through Factory patches (I fully init'd the Multi first) and was constantly running into the spinning wait icon. Even a few times where the Omnisphere window went into the grayed out, "Not Responding" state.

I am currently in e-mail with tech support. While I work with them to troubleshoot, I'll remain on this release. But if there is no new release, I am going to try and see what I can do about reverting to the previous. The first time I tried it, I only installed the software. Next time, I will install the software and the previous patch library install.

I had the same problems after upgrade and reported to support directly when the release came. After some mail back and forth with the support, I was prompted to asked to reinstall Omnisphere. I thought waiting for the problems to be solved by Spectrasonics, but the situation became untenable. Today, I made a rollback of Omni and Keyscape, plugin and database, to state before the upgrade. At last I can work with Omnisphere and Keyscape again without unbearable waiting.

Thomas
Cubase Pro 9.5, Win 10 pro, Omnisphere, Keyscape, Trillian, RMX

thsve wrote:I had the same problems after upgrade and reported to support directly when the release came. After some mail back and forth with the support, I was prompted to asked to reinstall Omnisphere. I thought waiting for the problems to be solved by Spectrasonics, but the situation became untenable. Today, I made a rollback of Omni and Keyscape, plugin and database, to state before the upgrade. At last I can work with Omnisphere and Keyscape again without unbearable waiting.

Thomas
Cubase Pro 9.5, Win 10 pro, Omnisphere, Keyscape, Trillian, RMX
That's interesting. Glad to hear I'm imagining it being so much worse than before. I have not rolled back despite Spectrasonics asking if it helps, because it's such a hassle, plus there are things like automation of menus that I don't want to give up from the update. But I don't know that I can put up with this either. Maybe I'll just use other stuff for a while and hope that Spectraonics release a fix soon. I don't understand how an update can be such a screw up. Did nobody test changing patches on windows? What are they doing over there...

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
legendCNCD wrote:Its crazy. Am I the only one who didnt notice it being sluggins? My project mate said he even had it crash few times after this new update, and it never crashed before.

Windows OF COURSE :roll: :tu:

I have around 440GB space left on the device.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro

legendCNCD wrote:

Maybe that's their new specs! Over a third of your SSD drive space must be empty.. ;)

Support told me that my machine cpu did not met the minimum suggested specifications and my cpu is a quad core i7 laptop (2.2GHz) bought new two years ago! It was the most powerful laptop processor available at the time (when Omnisphere 2 was already out) aside from crazy gaming laptops.

Agreed. After my last experience using it, I really can't use it this way. I need to rollback. I was thinking about this all day yesterday. What steps did anyone take to get to the previous release. I am going to try and install the previous Software version AND the previous Patch Library. Though I'm not sure that's sufficient. I'm concerned I will need to delete and completely re-install, then apply patches. I'm also worried my ratings will disappear. So curious, when you do a re-install, what directories/files should be backed up? Also, I have many 3rd Party Libraries installed. As long as I don't remove the User directories, these should remain in place?

Another reason I want to rollback is for patch compatibility. Patches created in 2.4.0 will not work with previous releases, which means, no one can use anything I make unless they upgrade. I hope library sound designers are aware of this or they will be limiting who can purchase their library. I figure the same issue happened when moving from V1 to V2.

Fortunately I had a backup from before the update, so I just had to rollback. I suspect that the upgrade do some reorganisation of the db so just reinstalling the plugin does not solve the problem. Without a proper backup I suspect that a new installation from scratch has to be done.

legendCNCD wrote:

Maybe that's their new specs! Over a third of your SSD drive space must be empty.. ;)

Support told me that my machine cpu did not met the minimum suggested specifications and my cpu is a quad core i7 laptop (2.2GHz) bought new two years ago! It was the most powerful laptop processor available at the time (when Omnisphere 2 was already out) aside from crazy gaming laptops.
I have i7-4960X 6-core + 16GB if that makes difference, I think it does at least in CPU :) ...

Just an an FYI, Spectrasonics did say in their last correspondence "thanks for your patience while we get things sorted". Here's hoping.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote:Just an an FYI, Spectrasonics did say in their last correspondence "thanks for your patience while we get things sorted". Here's hoping.
Yeah they also told me they were working on a fix, which is good to hear.

Return to “Instruments”