Dead Developers - who are you missing?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

GaryG, a couple of bitchin' plugs in the Dev challenges then nothing...

Stillwell Audio / Schwa

I almost forgot I had them, and recently fired up the old Rocket, Major Tom, and Bombadier compressors and Event Horizon limiter. These plugins are outstanding still. Bad Buss Mojo is another one that is really a great distortion unit. CMX is a micro pitch shifter a lot like Soundtoys but even more flexible. 1973 was the Neve EQ before there were ten different emulations. Even the Vibe EQ was the poor man’s pultec emu.

I still use Schope all the time, its been my main scope forever as you can feed it four different channels at once and freeze waveform.

Great developer, but TMK hasn’t released anything in years, and the last action was updating everything to 64-bit. Stillwell notoriously has fully functional demoes, so I think most people just use them for free, but I paid for the one’s I really liked.

Wish this guy would make some new stuff, obviously very talented. Does a great job at a modern take on a classic emulation. I’m going to start using these again. Especially the Rocket and Event Horizon, both dripping with character.
Logic Pro X : Prophet Rev2, Blofeld, Toraiz-AS1, Model D, Minibrute, MOTU 828x, Presonus Eris E7's, dozens of pedals

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Ben H wrote:
Camel Audio
Not exactly dead, but dead to me.

Hopefully Apple eventually screws them over the same way that CA screwed all their loyal PC customers.
I guess we have a different idea of what it means to be loyal :shrug:
Yeah, it doesn't involve giving their customers the forks and a big FU to the majority of their user base and choosing to discontinue future support and updates for the sake of a few extra dollars. :shrug:
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

Ben H wrote:
Ben H wrote:
Camel Audio

Hopefully Apple eventually screws them over the same way that CA screwed all their loyal PC customers.
Yeah, it doesn't involve giving their customers the forks and a big FU to the majority of their user base and choosing to discontinue future support and updates for the sake of a few extra dollars. :shrug:
Actually, it's your loyalty I'm questioning :shrug:

Ben H wrote:
Ben H wrote:
Camel Audio

It's hard to be loyal when a company chooses to betray you.
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

Michael Kleps - ReFX

~14 years ago Michael Kleps developed Xphraze, QuadraSID, Vanguard etc. Xphraze was a masterpiece. Just imagine what this guy would have developed these days. He had outstanding creativity. I know reFX still updates Nexus a Rompler but unfortunately no new procucts for ages.
Induljon a banzáj!

e-modic wrote:Michael Kleps - ReFX

~14 years ago Michael Kleps developed Xphraze, QuadraSID, Vanguard etc. Xphraze was a masterpiece. Just imagine what this guy would have developed these days. He had outstanding creativity. I know reFX still updates Nexus a Rompler but unfortunately no new procucts for ages.
He's very much alive. Name is now Michael Hartmann. Guess he got married and took her last name or something. Can't remember how that went.

Anyway, with how little that's been done since others have left Refx, maybe Michael Kleps isn't the coder many thought and perhaps rather an employer of coders. Not sure either way

Ben H wrote:
Ben H wrote:
Ben H wrote:
Camel Audio

Entitled and Melodramatic! :tu:

Wasnt there a major update to QuadraSid mentioned years ago that never transpired
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:

Wasnt there a major update to QuadraSid mentioned years ago that never transpired
And a freebie called Scout that never transpired.
And an update to Vanguard that never transpired.
And a resizable GUI for Nexus that never transpired/was withdrawn.
"What embecile composed this list :/"

EDGEK8D wrote:Stillwell Audio / Schwa

I almost forgot I had them, and recently fired up the old Rocket, Major Tom, and Bombadier compressors and Event Horizon limiter. These plugins are outstanding still. Bad Buss Mojo is another one that is really a great distortion unit. CMX is a micro pitch shifter a lot like Soundtoys but even more flexible. 1973 was the Neve EQ before there were ten different emulations. Even the Vibe EQ was the poor man’s pultec emu.

I still use Schope all the time, its been my main scope forever as you can feed it four different channels at once and freeze waveform.

Great developer, but TMK hasn’t released anything in years, and the last action was updating everything to 64-bit. Stillwell notoriously has fully functional demoes, so I think most people just use them for free, but I paid for the one’s I really liked.

Wish this guy would make some new stuff, obviously very talented. Does a great job at a modern take on a classic emulation. I’m going to start using these again. Especially the Rocket and Event Horizon, both dripping with character.
He's one of the two main developers of Reaper. Probably why he hasn't done more than update his plug ins.

Ben H wrote:
Ben H wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:I guess we have a different idea of what it means to be loyal :shrug:
Entitled and Melodramatic! :tu:
Do you really think that a random forum member's opinion of me, matters to me?

I still stand by my original assertion about Camel Audio's behaviour.

hardwired wrote: He's very much alive. Name is now Michael Hartmann. Guess he got married and took her last name or something. Can't remember how that went.
yes, I know that he is alive. This is not a thread about dead developers dude. :D
hardwired wrote: Anyway, with how little that's been done since others have left Refx, maybe Michael Kleps isn't the coder many thought and perhaps rather an employer of coders. Not sure either way
He wasn´t an employee, he WAS reFX and he also did a job for Steinberg to code Xphraze. I once talked to him in person 14 years ago and he told me about his projects and coding. Cool guy, very visionary.
Induljon a banzáj!

Maybe I misunderstood the thread, but this is about developers / plugin companies from the past that no longer appear to be actively developing audio plugins / DSP stuff any longer, right?

Because I cannot believe that no one mentioned Variety Of Sound / Bootsy? Or is it because this is the instruments section?

In other threads it has been suggested before, that hopefully he once again can join the Tokyo Dawn Labs team to release some of his genius plugins (like Thrillseeker VBL) under their modern, cross-platform framework.

I tried to use the original 32bit plugins in my 64bit DAW with JBridge, but JBridge couldn't handle them without glitches and bugginess.

The person that coded 'vanguard , plasticz , etc is markus feil (working for refx) ...he has changed his name , he 's now markus Krause
He now has his own company 'Tone 2 ' .
Michael Kleps was the boss of refx (and probably some code ), markus feil the main coder ... REFX hasn't released anything significant after markus left .

IIRC xphraze was coded by wizoo ( now air tech ) for steinberg , the main coder was Paul Kellet , although I could be wrong about this one
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Instruments”