Roland TR-808 available on Roland Cloud

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BMoore wrote:Multitimbrality hasn't been a usefull VST feature for 20 years.
*sigh*
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

BMoore wrote:Of course it is. Multitimbrality hasn't been a usefull VST feature for 20 years.
Wrong. And an utterly oblivious thing to say. Many Kontakt users still use that, for good reason and to great results. Also any drum sampler can also be considered a multitimbral instrument once you start routing individual kitpieces to separate outputs once you want to put some delicious external processing that the plugin itself might not have. Booya.

For YOU it might not have been useful, but don't generalize it across the whole population, because that's bound to fail as an argument.

EvilDragon wrote:
BMoore wrote:Of course it is. Multitimbrality hasn't been a usefull VST feature for 20 years.
Wrong. And an utterly oblivious thing to say. Many Kontakt users still use that, for good reason and to great results. Also any drum sampler can also be considered a multitimbral instrument once you start routing individual kitpieces to separate outputs once you want to put some delicious external processing that the plugin itself might not have. Booya.

For YOU it might not have been useful, but don't generalize it across the whole population, because that's bound to fail as an argument.
+1

HALion Sonic 3 is just one of the multitimbral plugins that I use.

Now that we have that out of the way I also want to state that it sounds different to my ears at least than the tr-8 808 model. The snare and cymbal are slightly closer to samples of the 808 I used to own. That makes me happy

EvilDragon wrote:

That's not multitimbral, though.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

Interesting...it's pretty much the definition of multitimbral;
The ability to send out several signals of different sound patches, and often playing different parts, by one synthesizer; having several sound modules in it.

Roland, the old uncle always 5 hours late to the party every time and hoping the place is still wild and raving.

BMoore wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:

Yes it is. A kick drum is a different TIMBRE than a snare is a different TIMBRE than a tom and so on.

EvilDragon wrote:
BMoore wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:

Yes it is. A kick drum is a different TIMBRE than a snare is a different TIMBRE than a tom and so on.
Well that depends how the kit is set up. Usually drum kits are multitimbral in that they have fully separate signal paths. But sometimes kits are mono timbral and just spread out over the keyboard like a regular sampler.

Multitimbral has definitely become less needed with modern DAWs, especially with things like live's racks or other daw equivalents which even further get rid of the need for multitimbral for the sake of performing with key splits and layers. But drums are certainly a good example of where it will likely never go away as you want access to edit all the drums within a single plugin interface. Also things like Omnisphere's 8 parts, which allows saving multis that are layered or split across the keyrange, or multiple articulations with keyswitches etc. Kontakt and full featured can do most of this type of stuff with a single instance now though.

...or stuff like Stylus RMX, where the different parts interact with one another through groove lock, for example.

Anyway, it was a silly comment which in true KVR style has us all raving about just how silly it is at the expense of the actual subject of the thread. With each new quality product desirably included in Cloud, I sense a slow chipping away at those of us who don’t like the concept, as I don’t. Once they included the policy that you own a product after a year, it seemed less objectionable anyway. Perhaps the question is - how much would you pay for a TR-808? Is it $240? (Or $220 inc the first month free?) Not quite in my case. But it is not too far off. If the price was $15pm I think it would suck a lot more of us in, $10pm and it would be a stampede.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote:...or stuff like Stylus RMX, where the different parts interact with one another through groove lock, for example.

Anyway, it was a silly comment which in true KVR style has us all raving about just how silly it is at the expense of the actual subject of the thread. With each new quality product desirably included in Cloud, I sense a slow chipping away at those of us who don’t like the concept, as I don’t. Once they included the policy that you own a product after a year, it seemed less objectionable anyway. Perhaps the question is - how much would you pay for a TR-808? Is it $240? (Or $220 inc the first month free?) Not quite in my case. But it is not too far off. If the price was $15pm I think it would suck a lot more of us in, $10pm and it would be a stampede.
Yeah, I pretty much look at it as, how much will it end up costing per plugin I will own. I know we get access to all the other stuff, and you can make a case that 20/month is a great deal for all that, but most of us are only interested in certain ones. For $15 it would be an easy enough choice because $180 per plugin after a year is at least kind of inline with other vintage emulation plugins, although still high for something like an 808. $240 for any of them just doesn't sit so well with me. I might just buy the 101 separately but it doesn't get updated to the latest code used by the cloud version. It has issues like stealing the keyboard that the cloud version doesn't have. It's unreal that roland sells a separate older, worse version of the current cloud version.

Whoa, yet another drum machine simulation with a whole ONE (!) type of possible syncopation and even more limitations in the year 2018. Just forge those 1:1 sound module emulations and release them already, I don't want to clutter up my space in order to get a certain sound :D
For DISCOGRAPHY, see К Ɱ Ԏ Ꮇ Ꮩ Ꭶ Ꭵ Ꮳ

Rameses wrote:Whoa, yet another drum machine simulation with a whole ONE (!) type of possible syncopation and even more limitations in the year 2018. Just forge those 1:1 sound module emulations and release them already, I don't want to clutter up my space in order to get a certain sound :D
Agree, I don't care about the sequencer, would be great to have individual modules for each sound.
dedication to flying

Examigan wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:

+1

HALion Sonic 3 is just one of the multitimbral plugins that I use.
yeah, with plugins like M1 and Purity its a convenience thing not having to load multiple instances. i run both of them each doing 5 or 6 different instruments each. and minimal CPU use :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Anyone know when the 909 is going to be released?

Also, has anyone compared this to the D16 Nepheton, which is AFAIK the only other "synthesis modelled" 808 plugin?
Last edited by Liero on Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”