TAL Mod

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TAL-Mod The Shining Stars Soundset

BlackWinny wrote:Simply different.

With TAL-Mod I get some sounds I can get from TAL-U-NO-LX, but not everything, far from it ! And TAL-Mod can provide sounds which are also totally different that I can't get and will never get from TAL-U-NO-LX.

So I'm very happy to have both.
If you want to emulate tal uno with talmod , its important to enable the 'trig on talmod's osc and adjust osc .phase .
The envelope also behaves differently , I prefer tal uno x envelopes by a longshot ...they are snappier
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Wed May 09, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote:

With TAL-Mod I get some sounds I can get from TAL-U-NO-LX, but not everything, far from it ! And TAL-Mod can provide sounds which are also totally different that I can't get and will never get from TAL-U-NO-LX.

If you want to emulate tal uno with talmod , its important to enable the 'trig on talmod's osc and adjust osc .phase .
The envelope also behaves differently , I prefer tal uno x by a longshot ...they are snappier
I don't even try myself to emulate TAL-U-NO-LX by TAL-Mod.
:D

It's funny, by the way... trying to emulate a software plugin by another software plugin.
:roll:

And both from the same developer in addition.
:lol:

So no, myself I don't even take any time to that. If I want TAL-U-NO-LX sounds (meaning Roland Juno-60 sounds) I use TAL-U-NO-LX.

It would be mad from Patrick to produce a synth which emulates another of his own synth.
:dog:

The best is to have both. TAL-U-NO-LX to reproduce specifically the Roland Juno-60 sounds. And TAL-Mod to create other types of sounds.
:hug:

And that's what I do.
:tu:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

I do not want to make self promotion but if you want to use old analog sounds, i released a library for the TAL Sampler some weeks ago were i used all the analog and digital FM synth from the old days, i created everything from the ground up and processed it through analog outboard.

More infos on my website...

http://www.particular-sound.de/wordpres ... r-edition/

Enough self promotion, thanks...

Frank
Voice, sample and factory content developer Particular-Sound / Facebook / Soundcloud

BlackWinny wrote:

The envelope also behaves differently , I prefer tal uno x by a longshot ...they are snappier

It's funny, by the way... trying to emulate a software plugin by another software plugin.

So no, myself I don't even take any time to that. If I want TAL-U-NO-LX sounds (meaning Roland Juno-60 sounds) I use TAL-U-NO-LX.

It would be mad from Patrick to produce a synth which emulates another of his own synth.

The best is to have both. TAL-U-NO-LX to reproduce specifically the Roland Juno-60 sounds. And TAL-Mod to create other types of sounds.

And that's what I do.
TAL-U-NO-LX and Tal-Mod are very different synths.

TAL-U-NO-LX is an emulation of the Juno 60.
As such, it has very nice retro quality about it, great for pads, bass, leads, etc.

TAL-Mod has a ton of modulation possibilities which make it capable of a broader range of sounds.
This enables deeper programming that can result in some outstanding results.

I am finding that TAL-Mod can make some very interesting and unique sounds.

Not just your basic pads, bass and leads, but also atmospheres, Fx, drones and some very cool Arps.
It can cover a broad range of sounds and styles and remain sounding analog unlike many of the current synths that have deep modulation routing capabilities.

Some Examples (All presets - "Power of Sound"):

https://soundcloud.com/vintage-synth-pa ... or-tal-mod

https://soundcloud.com/vintage-synth-pa ... resets-for

Great discussion! Thanks for weighing in, all.

I tried to compare the two.
I felt a difference in PWM. Yes, good and bad.
TAL-U-NO-LX's PWM seems to be deep and rich.
I felt the PWM of Tal-Mod was thin.
What do you think, everyone?

There is a difference also in the filter. It is not good or bad.
Both are good.

softphase wrote:I tried to compare the two.

Both are good.
For the filters, it is an excellent thing that they were not at all the same. It allows to produce totally different things, to work on totally different paths.

For PWM, yes I think that it could have been a bit "fatter". But now there are so many presets which have been done that it is preferable to not touch it any more and to fully grasp the potential of this modulation as it is actually... I'm sure that even if its rather thin it can provide a lot of fun.
:phones:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

BlackWinny wrote:

And that's what I do.
You'retaking it all out of context
All I am saying is that in order to emualte the juno you need to enable osc.phase trigger .
And btw , there's nothing wrong emalating other sofstynths , it just shows the flexibility of said synth .
Eyeball exchanging

softphase wrote:I tried to compare the two.

Both are good.
Talmod square wave is verry gently high passed , that's the diffenrece your hearing
Eyeball exchanging

PWM on Tal-Mod sounds great to me, I do not agree with the "thin" comments mentioned above.

I am a fan of U-No-Lx, but it's a toy compared to Tal-Mad as far as I'm concerned! The joy of U-No-Lx is how quickly you can dial in usable sounds, and of course how it has that instant 80's character. But I also feel that (same as the Juno 60) it relies too heavily on the Chorus to make it sound great. Just flip through the presets or other user banks online -- 90% of the patches have at least one of the chorus buttons checked, it's kind of absurd ;)

Tal-MOD, otoh, is an actual sound design synth. I love the sound of the filters and I haven't noticed any issues with the sound of the OSCS, PWM, etc.

What *does* bug me is that the Amp Envelope are always clicking until I add some release time.... oh, and of course the screwed up values on Tempo Sync for Delay / LFO, etc...that needs to get fixed.

I hope Patrick keeps up with the great work!

Has Patrick ever explained why the Voice Spread for the Unison modes alternates from Mono to Stereo as you cycle between even and odd numbers of Unison voices? It's certainly not the behavior I would have expected to find, especially on a synth with dedicated "spread" control for unison. Why fix the values to odd/even if you already have a Spread knob available to do it manually?

-M

Xenox.AFL wrote:I do not want to make self promotion but if you want to use old analog sounds, i released a library for the TAL Sampler some weeks ago were i used all the analog and digital FM synth from the old days, i created everything from the ground up and processed it through analog outboard.

Frank
These presets - and the TAL Mod presets - are fantastic. And this comes from a self-professed preset critic who almost never buys presets. Top recommendation!

I haven't even listened to the presets, to be honest. I clicked on a couple of them and they had tons of reverb and delay, which instantly just makes me go "what's the point?" But to each their own. The whole point of a synth like this for me is, well, Programming It. I don't need a new library of presets / a new Rompler.

And when they are saturated in reverb and delay, you can't even tell what the synth itself is really doing. <shrug>.

mholloway wrote:I haven't even listened to the presets, to be honest. I clicked on a couple of them and they had tons of reverb and delay, which instantly just makes me go "what's the point?" But to each their own. The whole point of a synth like this for me is, well, Programming It. I don't need a new library of presets / a new Rompler.

And when they are saturated in reverb and delay, you can't even tell what the synth itself is really doing. <shrug>.
99.9% of the time I feel the same way. Personally, I find most presets uninspiring or plain. For example, even though I really like U-Repro 1 & 5, I think I “liked” about 5 presets.

For the presets in TAL that I like, I didn’t find the effects that bad at all. In fact, TAL Sampler and Mod are two of the few synth/samplers where sometimes I actually prefer the sound of the effects compared to my dedicated effect plugins (all of which cost more then I paid for TAL itself). However, my taste in electronic music lends itself to effects. But I do find it far more interesting to use some midi processing and envelope modulation to obtain those effects.

perpetual3 wrote:
Xenox.AFL wrote:I do not want to make self promotion but if you want to use old analog sounds, i released a library for the TAL Sampler some weeks ago were i used all the analog and digital FM synth from the old days, i created everything from the ground up and processed it through analog outboard.

Frank
These presets - and the TAL Mod presets - are fantastic. And this comes from a self-professed preset critic who almost never buys presets. Top recommendation!
Where do you see the tal mod presets? I don't see any on the site.

Return to “Instruments”