Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
Cinebient
KVRAF
 
3512 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Postby Cinebient; Thu May 10, 2018 9:33 am Re: Omnisphere 2.5: Hardware Synth Integration and double voice architecture

I remember when they release Keyscape and some people complain about to not better gave them more synthesis options in Omnisphere instead.
An answer was that there are more key players out there than synth players :D
No synth is perfect anyway but from performance perspective i find Omnisphere is quite one of the best (if not the best) synth out there.
This just add even more to it.
A mouse or trackpad is great for fine editing and midi editing and automation and stuff but for live playing not so good. Even some touch screen tools are much better here due to multi-touch.
So they start something and it just can be a win-win for me.
Whatever form of input someone prefers you can use it.
I mean a clever developer could create a smart multi-touch app which doesn´t have a sound engine itself but just transforms in any of these devices with the right messages. Like a Lemur with better GUI and lots of ready to use GUI´s to choose from.
I guess iOS apps would be a good candidate since developers seems still don´t care much about multi-touch tools on windows.
But i guess there will also be a way to mimic these things via a clever midi FX tool or whatever.
In my case this finally wants me to buy a Subsequent 37 CV i´m lurking at and this might push it over the edge.
Maybe Spectrasonics could do their own Omni-Tr 2.0 app or so in the future.
However. This for sure doesn´t take something away...it gives something. That´s all what counts.
Everything else is your imagination.
User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
 
10347 posts since 24 May, 2009, from A galaxy, far far away

Postby el-bo (formerly ebow); Thu May 10, 2018 9:55 am Re: Omnisphere 2.5: Hardware Synth Integration and double voice architecture

ghettosynth wrote:Controlling a weak synthesizer with knobs isn't interesting.


:roll:

ghettosynth wrote:All of the opinion in the world is not going to elevate the technology in Omni.


Would be some feat if it could :tu:

ghettosynth wrote:If you like it, then you just like old DSP, others might say that you can't discern the difference


DSP doesn't factor into any of my decisions. I make music I like, with sounds that I like. It's all context/mix-dependant, and factoring in how old or how (lesser, supposedly) Omni is, has absolutely nothing to do with anything :tu:

ghettosynth wrote:but wishful thinking isn't going to give Spectrasonics the talent that they don't have.


:lol: :lol:

ghettosynth wrote:Wake me up when Eric hires Uhe or NI to program their synth DSP.


Why? You'll already be here, just like you are now :tu:
User avatar
topaz
KVRAF
 
4181 posts since 14 Jul, 2001, from Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, U.K

Postby topaz; Thu May 10, 2018 10:15 am Re: Omnisphere 2.5: Hardware Synth Integration and double voice architecture

:lol: thanks for cheering me up, that was classic fake news, in true trump style :hihi: :hihi:

ghettosynth wrote: but wishful thinking isn't going to give Spectrasonics the talent that they don't have. Wake me up when Eric hires Uhe or NI to program their synth DSP.
ghettosynth
KVRAF
 
11026 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Postby ghettosynth; Thu May 10, 2018 11:44 am Re: Omnisphere 2.5: Hardware Synth Integration and double voice architecture

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:Controlling a weak synthesizer with knobs isn't interesting.


:roll:

ghettosynth wrote:If you like it, then you just like old DSP, others might say that you can't discern the difference


DSP doesn't factor into any of my decisions.


Clearly!
noiseboyuk
KVRAF
 
2333 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Postby noiseboyuk; Thu May 10, 2018 12:28 pm Re: Omnisphere 2.5: Hardware Synth Integration and double voice architecture

Ah, comforting to have at least one dyed-in-the-wool ultra-purist still left...
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.afterschoolvideoclub.com/
W10 Pro Creators Edition, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2018 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 9
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD
User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
 
10347 posts since 24 May, 2009, from A galaxy, far far away

Postby el-bo (formerly ebow); Thu May 10, 2018 12:54 pm Re: Omnisphere 2.5: Hardware Synth Integration and double voice architecture

ghettosynth wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:Controlling a weak synthesizer with knobs isn't interesting.


:roll:

ghettosynth wrote:If you like it, then you just like old DSP, others might say that you can't discern the difference


DSP doesn't factor into any of my decisions.


Clearly!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8O_Y7g9l20&app=desktop
ghettosynth
KVRAF
 
11026 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Postby ghettosynth; Thu May 10, 2018 1:07 pm Re: Omnisphere 2.5: Hardware Synth Integration and double voice architecture

noiseboyuk wrote:Ah, comforting to have at least one dyed-in-the-wool ultra-purist still left...


It's not about being a purist. You guys asked, so I gave you a legit explanation. I have plenty of synths that have substandard DSP, everything in Kontakt, for example, they just doesn't cost very much, have other compelling features, and I don't expect them to be a Moog Voyager.

It's almost as if you're fishing for someone to come in and tell you that they don't like Omni so that you can tell them how great it is. You guys are like vegan crossfitters, you seem to always need an audience for your enthusiasm.
noiseboyuk
KVRAF
 
2333 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Postby noiseboyuk; Thu May 10, 2018 1:42 pm Re: Omnisphere 2.5: Hardware Synth Integration and double voice architecture

ghettosynth wrote:
noiseboyuk wrote:Ah, comforting to have at least one dyed-in-the-wool ultra-purist still left...


It's not about being a purist. You guys asked, so I gave you a legit explanation. I have plenty of synths that have substandard DSP, everything in Kontakt, for example, they just doesn't cost very much, have other compelling features, and I don't expect them to be a Moog Voyager.

It's almost as if you're fishing for someone to come in and tell you that they don't like Omni so that you can tell them how great it is. You guys are like vegan crossfitters, you seem to always need an audience for your enthusiasm.


No, this is quite different. Usually all the naysayers are in on post 3 with their substandard filters, romplers, it's-all-just-hyped-fx, Cult Of Spectrasonics, bloatware and everything else. This time I had to fish on page 11 just to see if there were any of you left. I was getting weirded out.

All good then, I can sleep soundly at night once more. You can run along now, and we'll all carry on. Cheers!
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.afterschoolvideoclub.com/
W10 Pro Creators Edition, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2018 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 9
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD
ghettosynth
KVRAF
 
11026 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Postby ghettosynth; Thu May 10, 2018 2:09 pm Re: Omnisphere 2.5: Hardware Synth Integration and double voice architecture

noiseboyuk wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
noiseboyuk wrote:Ah, comforting to have at least one dyed-in-the-wool ultra-purist still left...


It's not about being a purist. You guys asked, so I gave you a legit explanation. I have plenty of synths that have substandard DSP, everything in Kontakt, for example, they just doesn't cost very much, have other compelling features, and I don't expect them to be a Moog Voyager.

It's almost as if you're fishing for someone to come in and tell you that they don't like Omni so that you can tell them how great it is. You guys are like vegan crossfitters, you seem to always need an audience for your enthusiasm.


No, this is quite different. Usually all the naysayers are in on post 3 with their substandard filters, romplers, it's-all-just-hyped-fx, Cult Of Spectrasonics, bloatware and everything else. This time I had to fish on page 11 just to see if there were any of you left. I was getting weirded out.


Exactly, you weren't getting enough attention.

All good then, I can sleep soundly at night once more. You can run along now, and we'll all carry on. Cheers!


That's not in your purview. I'm here for the discussion of synth controllers, which is actually interesting.
iPlogger
KVRian
 
680 posts since 27 Oct, 2011, from Pacific Northwest

Postby iPlogger; Thu May 10, 2018 5:48 pm Re: Omnisphere 2.5: Hardware Synth Integration and double voice architecture

One thing worth mentioning regarding this release is Spectrasonics is continuing to update Omnisphere. They are still invested in its growth. I consider this a fairly substantial update. After Keyscape, I expected more focus on "the next instrument" and was afraid Omnisphere will turn to small, minor updates. Maybe I was the only one who thought that.
noiseboyuk
KVRAF
 
2333 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Postby noiseboyuk; Thu May 10, 2018 11:40 pm Re: Omnisphere 2.5: Hardware Synth Integration and double voice architecture

iPlogger wrote:One thing worth mentioning regarding this release is Spectrasonics is continuing to update Omnisphere. They are still invested in its growth. I consider this a fairly substantial update. After Keyscape, I expected more focus on "the next instrument" and was afraid Omnisphere will turn to small, minor updates. Maybe I was the only one who thought that.


Yes indeed. It’s been about 10 years now (over 10?) since 1.0 - only 1 paid update and everything else has been free. I suppose if you think about it, it’s Trilian that has had relatively less attention paid to it, although I seem to remember a quite big patch update in the early days. Keyscape has had the Creative update which was excellent. But as you say, very good to see Omni itself continues to have consistent love.

In the end, their model has done them very well I think. No discounts, but getting these free updates both rewards loyal custom and keeps attracting new folks.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.afterschoolvideoclub.com/
W10 Pro Creators Edition, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2018 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 9
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD
User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
 
29648 posts since 14 Sep, 2002, from In teh net

Postby aMUSEd; Fri May 11, 2018 12:20 am Re: Omnisphere 2.5: Hardware Synth Integration and double voice architecture

I was hoping for improvements with the control app though, it’s been pretty much the same since 1.5
noiseboyuk
KVRAF
 
2333 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Postby noiseboyuk; Fri May 11, 2018 12:55 am Re: Omnisphere 2.5: Hardware Synth Integration and double voice architecture

I'm actually starting to kinda like building these Lemur templates, almost theraputic. Here's a work in progress JP-08, across 2 tabs. The Osc / Modulation page:

Image

And the VCF/LFO page

Image

The big blue fader caps are irritating, can't seem to change the colour of those but I'm sure there's a way.

Still after help on getting it going in Windows 10, so another piea for anyone who understands these things to drop in my Can't Get Lemur Going On Windows 10 thread here - http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=504539
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.afterschoolvideoclub.com/
W10 Pro Creators Edition, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2018 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 9
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD
rupect
KVRer
 
4 posts since 11 Nov, 2013, from Toronto, ON

Postby rupect; Mon May 14, 2018 2:07 pm Re: Omnisphere 2.5: Hardware Synth Integration and double voice architecture

I've had the beta all of 5 minutes, and I might be wrong, but there seems to be an easy workaround for the Ableton NRPN issue - I opened standalone, assigned the SUB37 to it, and then opened Ableton and opened Omni in Live, and presto, NRPNs are passed and even recorded in Ableton. Will keep testing and contact Spectrasonics to see what the limitations are. Very excited. This is amazing.
User avatar
topaz
KVRAF
 
4181 posts since 14 Jul, 2001, from Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, U.K

Postby topaz; Tue May 15, 2018 1:42 am Re: Omnisphere 2.5: Hardware Synth Integration and double voice architecture

Doesn't work in Live 9 suite here, still get the not supported error pop up in live
and many functions do not work.


Image



rupect wrote:I've had the beta all of 5 minutes, and I might be wrong, but there seems to be an easy workaround for the Ableton NRPN issue - I opened standalone, assigned the SUB37 to it, and then opened Ableton and opened Omni in Live, and presto, NRPNs are passed and even recorded in Ableton. Will keep testing and contact Spectrasonics to see what the limitations are. Very excited. This is amazing.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments