Biotek 2 Available Now

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BioTek 2

Examigan wrote: I am not complaining at all and I think it's awesome the way it is actually. :) 12 layers is more than enough for me, as I probably won't use all of them anyway. Like you said, it would be an interesting experiment to see how complex a preset could be with that many layers.
I think one approach would be to establish right from the start that each layer will be different by x number of parameters, each modified to a certain amount. But in order to do that, layers should be able to be copied and pasted, which is not the case. I already asked about that. I would like to save layers to be recalled when creating other sounds (1). But it seems it could be too difficult to do.

(1) Same with Waverazor for that matter. Saving components to be recalled when creating other sounds. Libraries of components could be made and potentially sold. But once again, it seems too complicated to do mainly due to the modulation assignments.

For the modulation assignments I would naively say just add them on top of the existing ones when adding a component to an existing sound, but it seems that's not really the way :)

Cheers.

mevla wrote:At four oscillators/samples per layer, 12 would make 48 of them. Add to this the LFOs, the modulation slots, and everything else. Well, I'd be curious to hear how creative 12 layers can be. IMHO it would at least take a month to program such a sound. And it could be that the creative capabilities of the sound creator would dissipate way before the 12th layer. :?
No (conventional) CPU could handle that if you had deep modulation into it too... :idea:

wagtunes wrote:Okay, now that the dust has settled...
Anyway, Biotek 2 is one deep MF. I can get lost in that mod matrix for hours. Off to play. Bye.
Hi Wagtunes, everything save and sound now? Do you like BioTek2? 8)

nichttuntun wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Okay, now that the dust has settled...
Anyway, Biotek 2 is one deep MF. I can get lost in that mod matrix for hours. Off to play. Bye.
Hi Wagtunes, everything save and sound now? Do you like BioTek2? 8)
Everything is wonderful. Do I like it? It's my favorite synth short of a full blown modular. My only complaint is that there is just too much. It doesn't allow you to make simple patches because you feel like you're wasting its potential. You have to really discipline yourself not to go hog wild with this thing. Not every sound has to "morph me in 23 different directions and feed me pasta while you're there." Sometimes you want something that's subtle. But subtle doesn't require all this stuff and it just makes it all seem like a waste. I mean you know how it is, right? They let you run loose in a candy store and say you can have anything you want. Your impulse is to walk out with as much as you can shove in a bag. But you know if you eat it all you're gonna end up sick as a dog. That's how it sometimes feels with this synth, which is why I've so far made very few patches for it. I'm overwhelmed by its power.

And that takes some doing.

Right now, if somebody asked me for just one synth to get that can cover pretty much anything, it would be Biotek 2 without even blinking an eye, providing they don't mind rolling up their sleeves and doing some work. This is not an entry level kid's toy. If you want quick results without having to think, get the Legend or something like it. This synth is NOT for that person.

Hi Wagtunes,
Cool. I am happy you like it after I made so much advertising for it :)

I totally understand your point. For me it's a bit different. I like to know I can go wild if I like and there will be as less limitations as possible.

If a patch sounds subtle and doesn't blow you away by sheer overkill madness that doesn't mean for me that it can't be complex in modulation or programming or layering. I like sounds which ever change even in simple pads. Therefore you need a complex mod matrix even if you think it would be an easy patch.

I get so fast at the limit with so many other synths at this point. Many powerful synth have only two or three LFOs. I often use them to modulate each other to make speed and whatnot changes of the modulation itself. And then? No LFOs left then for other important modulations. It's a shame. Biotek2 leaves no wishes unfulfilled in that department. It's better than the other way round.

And really. The LEGEND is one of the most boring synths. :D

Examigan wrote:I was just checking out BioTek 2 this morning. On their website it mentions it's capable of unlimited layers, but it seems to have "only" up to 12. I don't see a way to add more than 12, or maybe it is letting me add 13 or 14, etc... and I just don't see the others after #12. I thought it might let me scroll at the left side to see more towards the bottom of the list of layers, and they just aren't visible at the moment.

I would probably never use more than 3 or 4 layers :hihi: but I was just wondering if is possible. It would of course be "limited" to how much the CPU can take.
I still only have Biotek 1, but the 12 layer thing seems to be the limit here too. I seem to hit the practical CPU limit long before I can actually use 12 layers. More than 4-6 layers quickly brings my CPU to its knees. :o

For example, take a patch with one layer that has 4 osc active, and duplicate that layer 11 more times. Then play a note, or a chord. :scared:
Windows 10 and too many plugins

This is probably something I missed in the manual, but when I load the "TY Default" instrument and then switch the first oscillator to a triangle waveform, there are no controls over to the right like when the saw, pulse, and the other types are selected. Not even a Level control is there. :?

But then I loaded the "Lead Sine-Triangle", and there are the controls on the screen over to the right for the 3rd oscillator (it uses the triangle). I am guessing it may be some other more complicated part of BioTek 2 that I just haven't gotten to yet.

Examigan wrote:This is probably something I missed in the manual, but when I load the "TY Default" instrument and then switch the first oscillator to a triangle waveform, there are no controls over to the right like when the saw, pulse, and the other types are selected. Not even a Level control is there. :?

But then I loaded the "Lead Sine-Triangle", and there are the controls on the screen over to the right for the 3rd oscillator (it uses the triangle). I am guessing it may be some other more complicated part of BioTek 2 that I just haven't gotten to yet.
Each OSC type has different controls associated with it.

nichttuntun wrote:
And really. The LEGEND is one of the most boring synths. :D
Boring? No. Its a lot simpler than some some synths, but its an emulation of a classic synth with an amazing sound.

wagtunes wrote:
Examigan wrote:This is probably something I missed in the manual, but when I load the "TY Default" instrument and then switch the first oscillator to a triangle waveform, there are no controls over to the right like when the saw, pulse, and the other types are selected. Not even a Level control is there. :?

Each OSC type has different controls associated with it.
They just responded to me in the Tracktion section of KVR:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=508599

I was trying out the filter types and noticed in the manual it doesn't mention parallel configuration, just serial. Is there a trick way to get it use a parallel setting instead? If not, I'd like that added as a feature. :)

Biotek 2 is one of the most interesting synths I’ve gotten recently. Creativity unleashed.

When you load a sample say in OSC1 in Sample mode, do you find that the volume is quite low, even when all volume knobs are near the maximum ? And also by comparing with the output of regular oscillators. I make sure to maximize the sample in Redux and saving it before loading it in Biotek. It looks like this before loading into Biotek2 and sounds loud in Redux:
sample.jpg
Is the only way to boost the output is to go into Granular mode and add a maximum of density ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

It seems when I use either of the Medium or Hard Drive settings with just a saw wave and no filtering, the volume drops to nothing when I crank up the drive amount to 100%.

The Light, Clip and Tube settings work fine, but I noticed the Fuzz (when also cranked up) has a large drop in volume, but not as much as the Medium and Hard settings.

I received an answer from Wolfram and he said he can reproduce the issue and a fix will be in the next update. 8)

Return to “Instruments”