New Synth. . . Should I pump up the GAS???

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have been looking at Falcon, Avenger, Halion, and a few other synths for a while. I already have Komplete 11 Ultimate and Komplete Kontrol 49 Keyboard, which I use to like 5% of its capabilities. The integration is nice but it's kind of limiting to have to use the Komplete Kontrol plugin. And I don't like having to learn 10 different synths. I'd kind of prefer to have one instrument framework instead. . . a go-to plugin that I can get super-comfortable with and quickly use during songwriting and just for messing around.

I mostly tinker around with different instruments and DAWs, write loops here and there, and occasionally actually finish a song. Not a serious producer. Also, I'm not a sound-designer. I'm never going to spend 20 minutes designing some crazy ambient soundscape. I don't need to select what type of microphone model and what microphone position I want to emulate, or select from a list of 100 different filters. I just want to spend a few minutes creating or modifying a a bass, lead, pad, strings, etc and have it come out sounding bad ass and actually useable in a song.

I like electronic music, progressive rock, and hip-hop. I also play piano.

I love new toys and was thinking of picking a new synth just to have a new toy to play with. I'd be buying it used on KVR.

Also, I already own but don't have installed: Synthmaster, Synthmaster One, AIR Complete Bundle.

Please provide reasons one way or the other as to whether you think I'd get more enjoyment out of a new synth (and which one), or if you think it's better to learn what I have. Spending $200 isn't a big deal for me at the moment, so money shouldn't be a factor.

20 mins for a soundscape seems a lot to you?! 8)
I have spent hours on a single bass sound :hihi:

But your problem is not rare, people have lots of stuff that is way beyond their needs and only steals their time. I also like to use one go-to synth for everything.

If you don't like sound design, you might consider a synth for which there are lots of sound sets already.
Also depends on the genre you are into.

I have also gotten sucked into designing a sound for an hour or two. Then I come back later and I'm like "WTF" because it sounds like crap. Everything I program with wavetable synths ends up sounding like a crappy organ or Nintendo music. Everything with FM synths sounds like electric pianos. The people on Youtube always make it look so easy. . . and believe me I have watched a TON of videos on how to use different synths and about synthesis already.

I'd be open to buying sound sets if I really loved a synth, but I haven't bought them before. And if I buy them, it's gotta be like $40 or less. . . I'm not gonna spend more on that for presets.
Last edited by rlared on Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'd think you should definitely take a look at Massive, when you already have Komplete. It's quite a "komplete" synth ;) with lots of possibilities in sound design. It always sounds a bit digital/cold to me though, there's definitely warmer synth in my opinion, but, once again, as you own Komplete, you also have Monark, which may look a bit limited, as a monophonic synth, but, it has a great analog sound.

As for not wanting to learn different synths: TBH, i wouldn't really take that as an argument to not use different VSTi's. For me, the all-in-one wonder soft synth, which does everything perfectly simply doesn't exist. Going on, thinking that way will only limit you, when you actually don't want to limit yourself. Most VA/wavetable synths are reasonably easy to learn, and come with a similar layout as well, so i doubt you'll have a hard time learning another, when you learn the one synth.

So, my advice, first take a look in Komplete before buying anything else. Ok, it sort of lacks the one VA flagship synth which is of high quality, but, there's a lot of stuff in there which surely will be of use. If you want a versatile, great sounding VA synth, which does a lot of things really well, take a look at Reveal Sound Spire IMO. It can't do everything (e.g., there's surely better synths for pure analog emulation), but, it can do most things very, very well. And, especially, it has a nice, warm and punchy character, which only few soft synths really have. Kind of hardware-esque.

Thanks. I've used Massive quite a bit actually but the problem I always run into is I can't figure out how to get a nice clean sound out of it. It always ends up sounding very edgy and dirty and I don't really use that type of sound. The wavetables all sound similar to me. . .

I know it's possible to get tons of different sounds out of it (or really any synth for that matter) but I haven't been able to figure out how. Also I find the effects section craptastic and the routing section confusing. The modulation is awesome though.

I'm actually more likely to reach for Kontact or FM8 at the moment than Massive.

rlared wrote:..... I just want to spend a few minutes creating or modifying a a bass, lead, pad, strings, etc and have it come out sounding bad ass and actually useable in a song.....

Sounds like you're looking for a rompler/workstation type thing.
Something like this would probably work good for you:
https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/v ... sonic.html

Your Post is too sophisticated for someone my age to stare at but I have the just. Get what you like to play. if you Like to play a certain type of controller then go for it. The controller and the DAW are more important then the instrument at this point. The instrument comes third. Then the human.

I have Studio One and FL Studio. I thought about picking up Cubase which would give me Halion Sonic. And I have an 88 key Montage and Komplete Kontrol 49 so I'm good on controllers.

You guys are killing my GAS! I thought this was KVR!!! :hihi:

rlared wrote:Thanks. I've used Massive quite a bit actually but the problem I always run into is I can't figure out how to get a nice clean sound out of it. It always ends up sounding very edgy and dirty and I don't really use that type of sound. The wavetables all sound similar to me. . .

I know it's possible to get tons of different sounds out of it (or really any synth for that matter) but I haven't been able to figure out how. Also I find the effects section craptastic and the routing section confusing. The modulation is awesome though.

I'm actually more likely to reach for Kontact or FM8 at the moment than Massive.
I was also to suggest Massive! It is from my favourite synths :) But I love the 3 NI synths (FM8, Massive and Absynth). They are great and can do more than 90% of my needs (I'm more into 80's style, especially DM style).

For me besides those NI synths, I like a lot and recommend to look at:

1. Synapse Audio synths: The Legend and Dune 2: Those are excellent synths. The Legend is my must to have synth. It has a nicer round sound than Monark. It depends on taste, but I like The Legend more. Dune 2 has excellent sound not found in Massive. I don't like programming it though, but the sound is top notch really.

2. Korg synths. I just love them and never feel bored with! The Mono/Poly, Polysix and MS-20 have great pleasant sounds. The new ARP Odyssey is second to non for analogue sound. Really excellent. Of course M1 and Wavestation have tons of usable presets.

3. D16 LuSH-101: This has incredible sound with presets from the best I have ever heard! Great synth for many kinds of sounds. There are some killer pads!

Well, those are the most inspiring synths for me (besides some others like RePro from u-he and Aalto from Madrona Labs). I can't choose them all in one song! But usually I first insert Massive (or Dune2), FM8, The Legend (or RePro) and one of the Korg analogue emulations.

Omnisphere 2

Gazillion presets and covers pretty much everything. When I get lazy and don't feel like programming stuff, I just open it up and find something. It never lets me down.

Downside: $500

Oof $500 is a kick in the balls though

If I bought Omnisphere could I sell Komplete and still be mostly covered?

rlared wrote:If I bought Omnisphere could I sell Komplete and still be mostly covered?
No. LMAO. Komplete Ultimate covers a lot of ground that Omnisphere doesn't cover. I'd be lost without it. But not for synth stuff. Reaktor is a CPU hog so it gets minimal use and the rest of the synths (Massive, FM8, ABSynth 5, etc.) are okay but there are better options.

One thing Omni doesn't have is a decent piano or electric bass. No decent drums either. So if you sell Komplete you're going to sorely miss those things.

Try to find something else besides Komplete to sell.

If you are considering Omni, you may find it in the MarketPlace for less than 500. I also believe that Spectrasonics are not excluded from Guitar Center coupons. Should be one for the 4th coming up.

If I had to sell Komplete Ultimate, I'd be sure to find a way to buy Kontakt or get Komplete Select. That would suffice enough that you can add what you want, rather than the tons of stuff that it comes with.

Hmmm that's good info. Thanks everyone. When I bought Komplete I kinda intended it to be the only VST instruments I use, so I guess maybe I shouldn't get distracted by the shiny new synths, especially with Komplete 12 coming. I guess I'll just stick with what I have for now. Appreciate the reality check :)

Return to “Instruments”