One Synth Challenge #113: The Scrooo by Full Bucket Music (Schiing Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The scrooo

Full Bucket wrote:
Eauson wrote:Thanks Björn, your synth are a joy, blooo is my GOTO, so scroo will more than likely be the same. :D
Thank you! The scrooo is a nasty ba$tard, you really have to watch out when to update anything or else the oscillators start in the middle of a crude waveform, giving you clicks'n'dirt... :x

Cheers, Björn

Thanks Bjorn,
Ah, so it will scrooo with your melon man, okay, noted.
Will have another go and try to tame the wee Beastie!!

:D
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

OK, here is a preliminary version 1.2.3 (for now Windows only, sorry). Make sure to use exactly this link:

https://www.fullbucket.de/music/dl.php? ... 2_3_winvst

Once this version proves to work fine I'll make an official release (then of course for Mac too).

Due to the insidious nature of the scrooo it is not possible to avoid any clicking.
Anyway, the implemented solution should remove most of the nasty ones. :hug:
Another good thing is that I could get rid of the internal DC blocker.

Initially I tried to avoid the path taken as it may slightly affect the perceived volume of your presets.
But I see no other way, so that's the price one has to pay. :party:

Cheers, Björn

schiing wrote:I'm sorry, Jasinski - I promised you some soft rock this round, but I simply don't think the Scroo has it in him/her! But I'm in the right area - the rhythm section plays out like a blue-eyed soul backing track at the moment.
It's cool- this beast seems a tricky one to tame...

v 1.2.3

The clicking is pretty much gone for me, especially the patches I highlighted. This synth sounds beautiful. It has the sonic character and expressiveness of a real instrument yet confined to the digital realm!

I do have a question about pitch envelopes for scrooo. In this kick patch, i have some delay to make the pitch drop of this kick. If I make the FM1 param extreme (as shown), I don't get a consistent pitch start and end. It starts some sort of pattern. Is there a mistake in my config here or is it simply part of the nature of scroo? That's ok if it is, but I would like to make sure I'm not using it incorrectly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

functionform wrote:v 1.2.3

The clicking is pretty much gone for me, especially the patches I highlighted. This synth sounds beautiful. It has the sonic character and expressiveness of a real instrument yet confined to the digital realm!
Thanks! :phew: :pray: :hihi:
functionform wrote:I do have a question about pitch envelopes for scrooo. In this kick patch, i have some delay to make the pitch drop of this kick. If I make the FM1 param extreme (as shown), I don't get a consistent pitch start and end. It starts some sort of pattern. Is there a mistake in my config here or is it simply part of the nature of scroo? That's ok if it is, but I would like to make sure I'm not using it incorrectly.
It's in the nature of the scrooo. I'm thinking about how to fix this without introducing new clicking. For your specific task I suggest to use the FM of the oscillators, not the formants.

Cheers, Björn

That produces something much closer to what I was looking for, but even in the patch below it sounds to my ears like there is a pre delay on the env2 modulation even though its set as 0. For some reason it doesn't produce a consistent envelope as well as you can see in the freq spec, sometimes it starts higher sometimes lower. It's not horrible sounding, I just can't seem to produce a consistent pitch drop. In a less extreme setting it sounds like a functional kick to me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GOOD JOB!!!

Full Bucket Music - freeware VST/AU plug-ins

You deserve a lot for the services you provide to the poor musician! You need everyone's support. God bless!

Thank you Björn, FB-3100/3200/3300 and Nabla are some of my go-tos. I’m pretty sure the scrooo will work too.
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

I am making some good progress with a "Beachboys" like tune. It may not be completely a sound-a-like, but I have tried to make some of the melodies and harmonies similar to the things they were doing. I need to work on the structure of the song too - when to bring in the instruments, how the background harmony fits etc - I'm doing a sort of harmonised "humming" - and also using 3 voices for the main tune. I've tried a little ADT (with no pitch shifting!), but that didn't quite work - they used loads of voices if I remember right after seeing some of the mix secrets on telly - basically "how did they do THAT?

I have a keyboard like sound (which is sort of OK, but a bit "full" sounding), so I want to try to make that more like some of the harpsichord like sounds they used as well, so it's a little more sparse sounding (frequency wise), but still fills the space sonically. This is going to be hard.

To keep some authenticity in the sound, I have used the free WatKat echo unit for my guitar solo. My band I did FOH for used 2 CopyKats, one on lead guitar and the other on organ. Brings back memories fom the 70's ... sigh ...

Here's hoping it works out … looks like it won't be there until very near the deadline - so much to do.

Liking the interesting control we have using Formants.

Cheers all,

dB

I think I will skip this one, I just can't get sounds I like out of this synth... and going through the preset verified that this synth just isn't for me. Good luck everyone, and see you next month. :)

I thought that Scrooo deserved better, so I spent a number of hours yesterday putting this together.
Did a bit of a mix down this morning, so for now :)
https://soundcloud.com/eauson/the-age-o ... electronic

Okay, so updated it, one section was too busy, so I reduced it a bit :)

Reaper
18 instances of Scrooo
Purest gain Airwindows
ReaEq *16
Molot
Maxwell Smart
Oril river
Airwindows Righteous 4
Airwindows C strip*3
Sleepytime Transient*2
Airwindows Side pass
Airwindows purest echo
GSI watkat
Karlette
Valhalla Freq echo
Espacial
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

@Euson -- nice to see another person using WatKat! Such an iconic unit in its time. Who didn't push the swell knob up to get that raspy building feedback sound??? Also remember seeing Eire Apparent live, and their roady/FOH guy pick up the mixer and start shaking it around - why??? Well, it had a spring reverb in it and he was creating an "effect" …

Nice track btw … still working on my track. The WatKat is making the "guitar" sound good - not to reverby wet, just nice clear sound with a little echo there if you listen for it ...

Also had a talk by (THE) John Williams, and he demoed some stuff after talking about classical guitar for an hour. He borrowed the school groups guitar and you guessed it, the Watkins Copykat … this was late 1960's!

dB

doctorbob wrote:@Eauson -- nice to see another person using WatKat! Such an iconic unit in its time. Who didn't push the swell knob up to get that raspy building feedback sound??? Also remember seeing Eire Apparent live, and their roady/FOH guy pick up the mixer and start shaking it around - why??? Well, it had a spring reverb in it and he was creating an "effect" …

Nice track btw … still working on my track. The WatKat is making the "guitar" sound good - not to reverby wet, just nice clear sound with a little echo there if you listen for it ...

Also had a talk by (THE) John Williams, and he demoed some stuff after talking about classical guitar for an hour. He borrowed the school groups guitar and you guessed it, the Watkins Copykat … this was late 1960's!

dB
:oops: I actually stole the idea from you :D
The swell I had to turn down a lot, as it appeared to add a lot of noise, so I added Steinberg karlette aswell :)
The track I was making used a lot of the LFO saw dwn on the fm, so I tried to flatten it using the tape delays, the synchronisation is way off, as I played the majority of the track in by hand, n order to get a live feel :)
Airwindows pure echo is v nice, has multitap so can act as a gluey type of thing for sounds. He has a vst called guitar conditioner, like an eq setup, I think it should be legit for OsC?
Having someone like JW play @ your school, how cool is that, anyways, better get back to??
I look forward to your music once more dB :)

ilmai wrote:I think I will skip this one, I just can't get sounds I like out of this synth... and going through the preset verified that this synth just isn't for me. Good luck everyone, and see you next month. :)
No worry. I can't get the right sound too. But in the end I realized that this is the real fun. To shape the sound and make this sound inspire you to make track even if you don't like this sound. For me the design process in the end have huge impact on the track and composition. Let's see the percussions/drums made with scroo from everyone. This thing require different approach then one which I'm used to. Making noise is tricky here.

Return to “Instruments”