Do you still use abandoned vsts?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

:D

Linplug Spectral is so good I bought it after it was discontinued. Only regret I have is that I didnt get it years ago.

In general, if a plugin is mature, I dont really care if it is still developed or not. Being on Windows helps here (just one of the reasons it is by far the best OS for music production). I use also discontinued hw synths.

Spectral sounds quite good but so far I'm much more impressed by CrX4. It might depends on the style, the needs.

Being on Linux and having Windows plugins go through an extra adapter/bridge layer makes some things more apparent. For instance, MorphoX updates its full UI screen as soon as a knob is slightly turned. Which makes it quite unpleasant to see the whole UI flicker when adjusting a parameter. With Spectral we can clearly see that only a rectangular/square area around the knob is being updated. This is much smoother and makes it usable. With CrX4 we see it barely, it's just about transparent. With Saxlab2 there's no concern at all, totally transparent.

Cheers.

I frequently open my old projects (10-15 years old)
so i have to keep a lot of legacy plugs , my system is Win7

Kontakt 1.5, Battery 1, Fm7, Absynth2 , Virtual Guitarist, Hypersonic, Vanguard.

Still use a lot of 32bit plugs :
Twin delay
Chariesis (great plug)
Simulanalog Guitar suite
mda piano
Piano one
evp73
MiimogueVA

If abandonware counts, I'm using Waves plugins sometimes. :D

Does discontinued mean it is no longer available or no longer updated/maintained? 8)

When I switch to Reaper, I will try some of the old SE plugins, which hopefully run fine on the built-in bridge.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Does discontinued mean it is no longer available or no longer updated/maintained? 8)

When I switch to Reaper, I will try some of the old SE plugins, which hopefully run fine on the built-in bridge.
I'm not running any bridge (not bulit-in either). You can install the 32bit of Reaper (and the 32bit of Sylenth1 of course :hihi: ) and write in your signature "Running Reaper 32bit with Sylenth1 and Some SE plugins, what's more could I ask?!" (inspired from BONES) :D

fluffy_little_something wrote:Does discontinued mean it is no longer available or no longer updated/maintained? 8)
In fact there is a great vagueness in the term "discontinued". A product can be technically discontinued (so definitively stopped at the curent state) but kept for sale or kept distributed so not commercially discontinued... and another product can be commercially discontinued (so definitively removed from the sales).

Depending the developer it may mean any of these states as soon as one of them is true (generally the second one above means also the first one). Some developers keep their discontinued products available to download (informing that they are not for sale anymore and will be definitively let in their current state), some others remove them immediately from their platform, totally... even for their customers who would like to re-download them for a reason or another.

Myself I prefer to say that a product is really discontinued only when the sales are definitively stopped. In the first case (the developments are stopped but not the sales) I prefer to qualify it of "abandonware".
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Still use Absynth, Massive and FM8.
All three are obviously abandoned but work perfectly on my Mac... :tu:

acYm wrote:Kore 2 survivor here. Never make music without it.
Needless to say, I fall into this camp myself. :lol:

Others include Alchemy for Windows, the Cakewalk plugins, Spektral Delay, Vokator, the White Noise stuff - I still even use Pro-53 on occasion (stacking 10 of them together in unison can be lots of fun). jBridge has been a lifesaver for me.

ew
A spectral heretic...

My friend gave me his copy of Edirol, and since I don't have any other orchestral VST might as well take it.

I can’t stop using Oatmeal and Cygnus and that’s a problem because I’m now working mainly with the iMac and I go back and forth to my thinkpad
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

I use a discontinued host :hihi:

I will be discontinued myself sometime ...

martinjuenke wrote:I will be discontinued myself sometime ...
Well, I think I'm discontinued already in spite of not many years in production :hihi:

So women out there, take me on your risk as there is no support or guarantee that I would work! :lol:

Return to “Instruments”