Do you still use abandoned vsts?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not vsts, but I run some very old, and abandoned, music software on Win7. Works like a charm

some of me favorite "secret weapons" are discontinued vsts.

ill stop using all the m-rgt synths when you pry them off my cold dead hard drive(s)...i have multiple backups.
ImageImageImage

do you still drive a new car a few weeks after you buy it? hmmmmmmmmm :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

To be extra safe, I only ever use VSTs on the same day an update has been released. That's the only way I can be sure it's not been discontinued.

After that, I can't be sure what the status is. It might have been the last update ever for all I know. Better safe than sorry as they say.

I just today tested Albino and very likely going use it i get it i free years ago when i buyed Blue. and to me is one best synths still.

still in love with Alchemy - it's a monster
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

fluffy_little_something wrote:Does discontinued mean it is no longer available or no longer updated/maintained? 8)
In the context of my original post, maybe 'no longer maintained' or 'abandoned' would be better. I don't care if the plugin is still being sold or further developed. My only concern is that if plugins are abandoned and a daw or os update introduces an issue, the issue won't be fixed and you'd potentially have a bunch of projects that will have tracks which no longer work - unless you've bounced them of course.
Last edited by mgiambro on Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mgiambro wrote: My only concern is that if plugins are abandoned and a daw or os update introduces an issue, the issue won't be fixed and you'd potentially have a bunch of projects that will have tracks which no longer work - unless you've bounced them of course.
That's your only real insurance policy, right there...
Windows 10 and too many plugins

mgiambro wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Does discontinued mean it is no longer available or no longer updated/maintained? 8)
In the context of my original post, maybe 'maintained' or 'abandoned' would be a better word to use than discontinued. I don't care if the plugin is still being sold or further developed. My only concern is that if plugins are abandoned and a daw or os update introduces an issue, the issue won't be fixed and you'd potentially have a bunch of projects that will have tracks which no longer work - unless you've bounced them of course.
If you are not bouncing all your tracks to audio during final production stages ie you may have say 6-7 versions of a saved project, you aren't finishing your work properly.If you have saved your projects at all the stages of its development you can always go back and change things that were once midi but now audio.Once competed and all in audio then there is no problem with instrument plugins not working.Secondly its then easy to send stems for remixing and there are always work arounds for fxs plugins that may no longer work due to OS software updates.keep pushing don't stop at just midi:-)
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

I had a disaster recently. I described it in this thread

Anyway, circumstances have dictated that I use a long discontinued host and even more discontinued instruments and effects.

They all work just fine.

Steve Albini uses long discontinued equipment too. It also works just fine.

Human creativity has overcome profound challenges. Many of them have been much more intimidating than discontinued software.
Last edited by herodotus on Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oops.

I think for actual studios it would be important to have configurations that did not change, meaning that you treat the vst and the computer its on like it is a piece of equipment that doesn't get changed once it is working, at least if you want to be able to use it to recreate the track at a later time. Studio DAWs aren't like Joe hobbiest DAWs, they actually have to answer to customers, be able to change tracks 20 years later, etc, so they have to be more careful. They can't just switch operating systems and hope for the best, they actually have to test it and see what impact it is going to have for them. In that context, yeah, I think it's not only okay to use abandoned or discontinued VST's, but necessary, otherwise everything you've ever made has .. what, a 5 year lifetime ? 10 years ? And you would then lose the ability to change it.

One that I wish I had was Terratec Komplexor

low_low wrote:I think for actual studios it would be important to have configurations that did not change, meaning that you treat the vst and the computer its on like it is a piece of equipment that doesn't get changed once it is working
I always do this. No OS updates, just an antivirus and a the OS builtin firewall. With imaging/backup software on the side for any emergencies. Or something like RollbackRX. Every 6 to 8 years, a hardrive failure is expected. So I just buy a new drive, image restore from the backup. And I'm back in business.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

punkfest2000 wrote:One that I wish I had was Terratec Komplexor
It's such a shame that it's only available in 32-bit, and can't be installed or run under a 64-bit system, unless you hack into the system, or use the warezed version. Great sounding synth. I use Largo instaed today, and don't really miss it. It was pretty buggy as well, and almost is more CPU hungry than Largo anyway.

Return to “Instruments”