Buy Omnisphere 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Omnisphere 2

noiseboyuk wrote:The rompler tag is the myth that simply will not die. When the tag "rompler" applies to anything that has a sample in it (which is where we're at now in order for it to still apply to Omnisphere for the purposes of the pointless debate so beloved at KVR), it becomes meaningless.
Guy, why even bother.
Omnisphere has tons of Waveforms for the synth oscillator, can do wavetable synthesis with those waveforms, and load user samples....and do granular synthesis.

Even if you want to argue Omnisphere 1 was a rompler, surely by Omnisphere 2 that argument can't reasonably or logically be made

Some people are just daft.
rsp
sound sculptist

You're quite right of course, zvenx. Seriously, this is the dumbest debate in all of KVR. If the term has any meaning at all, it is to denote an instrument which is entirely sample based, without the ability to record (otherwise it will become a RAMpler).

There will now be a follow up post to say "yes, that's YOUR definition of a ROMpler", and we can then just cut and paste the previous 56,987 threads and posts on the same subject. Why people cannot accept that since day one Omnisphere has both samples and VA at its core, and both have developed considerably over the years - without having to stick inappropriate labels on it in order to make some kind of stupid point - is beyond me.

I've probably posted this word for word here before as well, which is the only place on the internet it ever comes up. What on earth am I doing with my life?
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

pdxindy wrote:
noiseboyuk wrote:
lotus2035 wrote:I seem to remember that the predecessor to Omnisphere 'Atmosphere' was big with the trance crowd, but since then we have had the onset of wub wub fart noise genres which have made Omnispheres sound dated in terms of electronica at least, which i guess is why they brought out the spotlight preset bank. It all still sounds very 90s though. I'm looking forward to version 2.5 and its new analog collection. It's what Omnisphere is best at.
Love how the KVR debate has shifted from "Omni is a ROMpler" to "Analogue is what Omni is best at". Over 1,000 new analogue patches coming in 2.5....

Again, any attempt to confine Omni to just being about a single purpose or genre will look kinda daft. Its fabulous for ambient of course, as it is for experimental film, pop, retro etc etc. The clue is in the name - OMNIsphere.
The name is deceptive... it gives that impression... but there is a lot of synthesis stuff it cannot do. A more accurate name would be Semisphere :lol:

And it is a Rompler... lots of Romplers have extensive synthesis capability.
Yes, moreover, I don't think the debate has shifted at all. Omnisphere isn't really competitive among "good" VA synths by today's standards and now that the detail about that has been thoroughly fleshed out (on KVR), there's no point for people who care about that to debate any further (on KVR). It's not a standout VA and anyone who's into good VAs is pretty clear on that. There are solid technical reasons for it and there's just not much point in talking about it anymore. If you can't hear it, then it clearly doesn't matter to you.

pdxindy is absolutely correct here, the name is deceptive. But it's more than a funny joke, the positioning is definitely a part of the popularity and the target audience, you see that here, and I've seen it elsewhere. Some people are just more susceptible to hype and marketing than others and seem to equate the price with quality. Hats off to Spectrasonics, they have definitely managed to position themselves such that people are still talking about their $500 softsynth in 2018!

I think that there is absolutely a grain of truth in what Vurt was saying with respect to the appeal to, e.g., studios and their clients and part of that comes from the deceptive name. Those who aren't knowledgeable and/or critical are convinced by that. It does everything and it's made by the guy who did the D50 sounds and it's one of the most expensive synths on the market, done! Why buy anything else?

Those of us who are critical of it haven't really changed our position. Omnisphere is an overpriced sample library with a reasonably flexible synth engine built with outdated components and a clunky U/I that appeals to beginners. It is a rompler. It excels technically at no particular sonic thing but does several things adequately. It's biggest strength is the celebrity sound library which IS created by people who know what they're doing. So, no disagreement that Spectrasonics sound designers are top notch, and if you aren't a sound designer and your tastes align with Spectrasonics (mine don't) then you are getting a capable library of sounds. Honestly I think that this is the appeal to TV/Film guys who have to work quickly and are selling to a largely uncritical audience with respect to the authenticity of VA sounds.

Now, re:Trance, Omnisphere does have a pretty cool arpeggiator. And, well, trance as a genre also tends toward the kind of fx drenched bombastic sounds that Omnisphere is known for. So, be honest with yourself here, if you aren't a sound designer and you like bombastic trance (e.g. the video from earlier in the thread), then I'm going to go against the flow here and say that Omnisphere might be a good choice for you. Also, another strength is the ease at which you can apply modulators. Now Omnisphere isn't the only standout here, but, again, if you fit the demographic, and you like a particular sound but wish it had more movement, it will be easier for you to grok how to make that happen in Omnisphere than some other synths.

It's more fun to have fun in these threads than argue. I was only interested in engaging others about Omnisphere up to a point. I gave it the benefit of the doubt at the time because so many people were talking about it. Nothing that has been said over the last n years or so has changed my mind. I think that the largest common factors among Omnisphere customers are the combination of either buy-in towards hype, or realizing the value of that to other customers (e.g. studios), the alignment of taste towards very mainstream and/or overhyped sounds, the lack of need and/or appreciation of actual depth in synthesis combined with a need and/or appreciation of easy to use modulation, and the need/desire to have a very large sound library that achieves the above.

There's no need to argue, you'd be wasting your breath. Note how these threads are almost always started by those who aren't able to figure out for themselves whether or not a synth is useful for a particular genre and how they, and the other posters, center on talking in vague non-technical terms.

With only a couple of notable exceptions, that pretty much sums up my experience with Omnisphere users. I still remember the guy in GC who was so convinced that I should buy Omnisphere. I told him that Reaktor and friends gets the job done for me, to which he replied "Oh, I've had all of those but now I use Omnisphere." So I asked him which of the Reaktor filters did he try? Of course he couldn't answer the question, he had no idea.

ghettosynth wrote:I think that the largest common factors among Omnisphere customers are the combination of either buy-in towards hype, or realizing the value of that to other customers (e.g. studios), the alignment of taste towards very mainstream and/or overhyped sounds, the lack of need and/or appreciation of actual depth in synthesis combined with a need and/or appreciation of easy to use modulation, and the need/desire to have a very large sound library that achieves the above.
Never before have ignorance and arrogance danced so well together, as in that paragraph

:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol:

@ghetto

I actually kind of agree with you up to a point. The thing with Omnisphere for me (and mind you, I have just about every synth out there) is that when I can't be bothered with diving into something to program a sound from scratch and just want to actually make music and pretty much know what I'm looking for, I know I can turn to Omnisphere because of it's massive library of presets, including the ones I made for my library.

Is it the best sounding VA synth or whatever? No. But see, in the context of a mix, nobody can tell anyway. I've made this challenge a dozen times and one day I'm just going to say screw it and post a track over at Soundware (because they're not allowed in this forum) with 20 different synths and dare anybody to guess what they all are. Trust me, they won't. Nobody will. Why? Because after all the processing and mangling that we do with these sounds, they're indistinguishable.

That's why, in the grand scheme of things, none of this really matters. Unless you're dealing with a stock SynthEdit synth with their horrendous filters and oscillators that fall apart on high notes, any decently made synth, with processing, is going to sound good enough for the average Joe on the street listening to your tune on his iPod. That's the reality. So if I decent to go with Omnisphere's trance supersaw lead over Spire's or Serum's or whoever's, trust me, it doesn't matter. Not really.

Do I think Omnisphere is worth $500? No, which is why I sold a bunch of junk laying around the house that I was never going to use in order to buy it. But then again I don't think any soft synth is worth $500.

So yeah, Omnipshere is overhyped and overrated (compared to better sounding VAs) but ironically, I still use it more than any other synth in my collection.

Go figure.

Thank you for your answers, not able to read everything yet.

Let's remain ZEN, here a collection of ideas of opinion of experience of each simply. Not a debate. RESPECT FOR EVERYONE BEFORE EVERYTHING.

Found this, expensive, but can be used well for the famous title in question.

https://www.spectrasonics.net/products/ ... voices.php

pdxindy wrote:
noiseboyuk wrote:The rompler tag is the myth that simply will not die. When the tag "rompler" applies to anything that has a sample in it (which is where we're at now in order for it to still apply to Omnisphere for the purposes of the pointless debate so beloved at KVR), it becomes meaningless.
I think Rompler (not a negative term, just a descriptor) accurately describes Omnisphere... A large and proprietary sample library is the centerpiece of the instrument.

Serum can load a sample in the noise oscillator... it isn't a Rompler.

You can load samples into Omnisphere 2 as well..so then it is not a ROMpler?

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:I think that the largest common factors among Omnisphere customers are the combination of either buy-in towards hype, or realizing the value of that to other customers (e.g. studios), the alignment of taste towards very mainstream and/or overhyped sounds, the lack of need and/or appreciation of actual depth in synthesis combined with a need and/or appreciation of easy to use modulation, and the need/desire to have a very large sound library that achieves the above.
Never before have ignorance and arrogance danced so well together, as in that paragraph

:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:tu:

Trancer wrote:Hello,

Questions before buying Omnisphere 2.

I compose electronic music (Trance).

I already have as VST Nexus 2, Avenger, Synthmaster 2.9, Hive, Spire, Serum.

Is it useful considering the other vst, to buy Ominsphere 2?

Thank you in advance for your answers.
The only real way to know if Omnisphere 2 is for you is to try it out. Unfortunately, there is no demo so you can try one of two things. Depending on where you live you may be like me and lucky enough to have a music store that has a store version. I was able to go to the store and sit down with headphones on and test it before purchasing it. Failing that, go to Youtube and search for Omnisphere 2 factory preset walkthrough and have a listen. If you think you cannot obtain any of these sounds with your existing gear, then you could consider buying it. But if you feel it has nothing to offer, then pass on it.
Last edited by JJ_Jettflow on Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trancer wrote:Found this, expensive, but can be used well for the famous title in question.
https://www.spectrasonics.net/products/ ... voices.php
It seems for the most part (except: solo performances) included in Omnisphere. See > here <

Trancer wrote:
Let's remain ZEN, here a collection of ideas of opinion of experience of each simply. Not a debate. RESPECT FOR EVERYONE BEFORE EVERYTHING.
stick around long enough, zen will be a distant memory.

youll be involved in some future debate, lets say omnisphere 10! many years from now.
someone will say "lets try to remain calm here"
you will reply "shove calm where the sun don't shine matey"

what im saying is, welcome to kvr :D

ghettosynth wrote: truth in what Vurt was saying
of course, as it always is 8)

btw, have i told you just how handsome you look lately? you done something different with your hair?

vurt wrote:
ghettosynth wrote: truth in what Vurt was saying
of course, as it always is 8)

btw, have i told you just how handsome you look lately? you done something different with your hair?
What, this? I just give it a quick tussle and go about my day.

vurt wrote:
Trancer wrote:
stick around long enough, zen will be a distant memory.

youll be involved in some future debate, lets say omnisphere 10! many years from now.
someone will say "lets try to remain calm here"
you will reply "shove calm where the sun don't shine matey"

what im saying is, welcome to kvr :D
..and especially to the "cult of Omnisphere"

JJ_Jettflow wrote:
Trancer wrote:Hello,

Questions before buying Omnisphere 2.

I compose electronic music (Trance).

I already have as VST Nexus 2, Avenger, Synthmaster 2.9, Hive, Spire, Serum.

Is it useful considering the other vst, to buy Ominsphere 2?

Thank you in advance for your answers.
The only real way to know if Omnisphere 2 is for you is to try it out.
While I did demo Omni, I disagree with this. I have yet to encounter a synth that is good despite bad underlying technology. So just knowing what you expect from technology and reading whether or not a product supports that or not is a good way to determine whether something is even a centendor for you.

This does, of course, imply that you know what you want from technology in the first place. That is, you should have some idea of how features/technology in the new synth are going to solve problems that you can't already solve.

Return to “Instruments”