One Synth Challenge #115: Seismic by Syntonica (L-Ectrobit Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Seismic

nujazzbes wrote:Hi ! @syntonica

Thanks for your plugins it's great ! I'm on ableton 10 and i don't have massive problem, sometimes i don't know why a big sawtooth appear even when my wave isn't but i just have to click on the stop button of ableton and it's dissapear, and the other things is that i can't edit name into seismic because my keyboards responds to ableton when i press a letter. Maybe it's my fault i'm going to check the manual more !

It's going to be my first one synth challenge and i'm pretty excited !
Same here. Seismic runs fine with my Live10, only I cannot do keyboard inputs. Now I cannot apply pitchbend to my favourite preset (or have to re-edit it from a preset that still has nonzero PB range) :x :lol:
Anyway, very interesting synth, and challenging! That's what it is about :hyper:

Has anyone got a filter envelope running? I've got a nice synced LFO doing some filter modulation, but its phase is different every time I start playback.

Active developer and novel approach? Yikes, I might have to do this one and take a break from my class job life etc.

Live 10: for some reason, Live 10 for Windows has this psychotic need to steal keyboard input and I can't find anything to turn off or circumvent this behavior. My plugin should be getting first crack at all keyboard input when focused! I'll double-check everything to make sure that's what I'm doing, but it would seem so.

Ironically, it works fine on the Mac side in Live, regardless of whether you use the special "open window on Mac for keyboard input" or not!

Work Arounds:
1. Click on the name twice so it changes to (empty). Save the preset. Go to the Patches folder and manually rename the file. Seismic always rebuilds its menus, so the newly named preset will now show in the Load list.

2. This seems to work. Save the presets from the... not sure what you call it, I'm not a Live fan... Save them as fxp/fxb and title them what you will. Reloading in the same fashion should return your patch to you. (No guarantees on this one.)

On FL Studio, just make sure the MIDI keyboard is turned off when you name your patch. Reaper, right-click the VST in the list and set it to allow Returns. Otherwise, Live is the only total miscreant I've found. :roll:

I should be dropping an incremental update tomorrow night that fixes the pitch bend and the funky crash with the A/R envelopes that shows up on some patches. I've made the code fixes and if nothing else is reported, they will be ruled in, tested and then uploaded.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Ok everyone - I'll be first in this month as I have various things going on and am not sure I'll be able to do much later on. (Suffice to say it's MRI scans etc for the "man's" cancer).

Here's a little easy listening tune - am impressed with the range of sounds from this synth. All sounds pretty much from scratch (some presets checked out for inspiration, of course).

DAW Reaper

Track Details
14 * Seismic
14 * ReaEQ
5 * JS Midi Note Filter
4 * OrilRiver
4 * Pecheneg Tremolo
1 * LFX-1310 autopan
1 * Bass Professor Mark II
1 * TDR Kotelnikov

Master
TDR VOS SlickEQ
Ferric TDS
Voxengo MSED
Limiter No. 6 - Gone and LoudMax in place.
Metering
SPAN

DR: was 6 now 11 !!

https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/seismic-shift
Last edited by doctorbob on Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

syntonica wrote:Live 10: for some reason, Live 10 for Windows has this psychotic need to steal keyboard input and I can't find anything to turn off or circumvent this behavior. My plugin should be getting first crack at all keyboard input when focused! I'll double-check everything to make sure that's what I'm doing, but it would seem so.
Thanks for checking! Much appreciated!
I think, a little comfort on the odd Live10 behaviour would be, to at least reset the values in the settings page to the default values when a keyboard input is interrupted. What I mean is, I got 430 Hz out of clicking on the concert tune edit field and clicking elsewhere. Instead, it could be 440 Hz as usual. And the same for PB range, where I got 0. It could be 200 or 1200 instead.
EDIT: OR just keep the value that has been there before the input with an empty/invalid string

Also, I get a weird behaviour when an A/R module is placed in the signal path before the last module, for example when I want to modulate a signal before it goes into an FM module. I'll come back with an example preset for that.

MWE attached. After the A/R envelope has finished, the module plays back part of the input wave whereas it should remain silent.
EDIT: wrong file :dog:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Carl_saved wrote:MWE attached. After the A/R envelope has finished, the module plays back part of the input wave whereas it should remain silent.
EDIT: wrong file :dog:
This appears to be functioning as intended. Make sure you hold the key down for the whole envelope and you can see it snap shut in the +/NORM osc display--it changes from a sine to a flat line. If you release the key too quickly, the note will be immediately shut off as without a final envelope node, Seismic runs in gate mode.

However, grab the update that I will post later today as it does fix an issue with the A/R envelopes that you may be running into.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Hi All--

I have uploaded v1.3.1 for both Mac and PC.

Fixed:
1. Pitch bend no longer blows up and will stay in audible spectrum of humans.
2. Env A/R should now be behaving as expected.
3. Reaper should now be able to pick up returns without adjusting to send all keyboard input to the plugin.

Not Fixed:
1. Live is still refusing all keyboard input on the PC side. In fact, Live is not even passing key stroke info along to the plug-in. While I think this error is on their side, I am not a Windows programmer and cannot say for certain. While poking about in the API, I discovered why Reaper was not getting returns, so that much got fixed.

To upgrade:
Download the latest version from here:
http://syntonica.net/seismic
and unzip it. The easiest way is to just rename and replace your DLLs on the Windows side, or to replace the executable on the Mac side (right-click, select Show Package Contents, open Contents/MacOS and there's the executable). Add .old to the old filename so you can undo if anything happens.

Please let me know IMMEDIATELY if you have any issues. I'll be here all night playing with my new baby MicroBrute. :D

Thanks for the update! For my problem with the A/R, nothing changed though. It might be caused by my setup so the MWE does behave as expected on other setups. Its not too bad though, I just avoid the issue :D

I have a question about this synth. Is there any way to get detuned sounds without using the "Detune Note" block? I want to get a detuned mono sound, but nothing seems to work. Detune Node + Monoizer for some reason produces stereo output. Any attempts to use FM to get pitch variations are also unsuccessful. I suppose the author of the synth has his own definition of the "frequency modulation" term. When the carrier is a sine wave FM shouldn't generate any additional harmonics, but in this synth it does.
syntonica wrote:Live 10: for some reason, Live 10 for Windows has this psychotic need to steal keyboard input and I can't find anything to turn off or circumvent this behavior. My plugin should be getting first crack at all keyboard input when focused! I'll double-check everything to make sure that's what I'm doing, but it would seem so.
Btw, you can try the following solution: https://forum.juce.com/t/vst-plugin-isn ... es/1633/11

Just tried the update, same thing on Live on mac :( :

Code: Select all

Thread 2 Crashed:: AudioCalc
0   net.syntonica.Seismic         	0x0000000124829a1a Seismic::buildNodes(Note*) + 2202
1   net.syntonica.Seismic         	0x00000001248280ab Seismic::processReplacing(float**, float**, int) + 763
2   com.ableton.live              	0x0000000101cbb9d0 0x100000000 + 30128592
3   com.ableton.live              	0x0000000101cbb78c 0x100000000 + 30128012
4   com.ableton.live              	0x0000000101cadde0 0x100000000 + 30072288
5   com.ableton.live              	0x0000000100d6b633 0x100000000 + 14071347
6   com.ableton.live              	0x0000000100d8a0bd 0x100000000 + 14196925
7   com.ableton.live              	0x0000000100d6ecfc 0x100000000 + 14085372
8   com.ableton.live              	0x0000000100d6eb1e 0x100000000 + 14084894
9   com.ableton.live              	0x000000010082b4d1 void* std::__1::__thread_proxy<std::__1::tuple<void (TThread::*)(), TThread*> >(void*) + 113
10  libsystem_pthread.dylib       	0x00007fff521106c1 _pthread_body + 340
11  libsystem_pthread.dylib       	0x00007fff5211056d _pthread_start + 377
12  libsystem_pthread.dylib       	0x00007fff5210fc5d thread_start + 13

--- deleted, see updated track below ---
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=510651&start=60#p7167325
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nice, please make it longer, just too short to fall into a state of trance...

Not crashing in my situations anymore.

There’s a weird thing with the virtual keyboard still. Swiping white keys seems ok. Soon as a black key is included, the patch sound changes radically. Same kick back patch. I don’t really care about this particular thing.

But I can’t see what is happening when this happens. There is a problem with the window not updating completely when changes take place, say, undoing a turn of a knob. Or changing preset (I use rpl. I usually save more than 128 patches during osc). This IS annoying.

Well, sorry for being rather negative. It is a cool synth. New ways to explore sound design. :tu:

Nice one Peter. I like your bass patch more than mine - Couldn't get much in between low grungy grumblin' bass and a rather boring plucky bass with no resonance. I took the latter and boosted the lows! Will probably update that as I have done a bit more harmony work, so will make each section add progressively more harmonies to the melody lines.

Still, press for the top floor in your lift/elevator and listen to the musak! Yeah, I know what I've done! :hyper:

dB

Return to “Instruments”