Native Instruments Massive X Synth - Sequel to Massive (Out Now!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Massive Massive X X-Squared For Massive X

Unaspected wrote:
chk071 wrote:
anomandaris1 wrote:This is not Massive 2
Hm... i was under the impression that it is the successor of Massive 1 indeed.
But it's called Massive X. So that's Massive 10. We've skipped 2 and a few others.
There wasn't a Windows 9 either. :shrug:

Why call it Massive when it's not a successor, or a offspring?

chk071 wrote:
Unaspected wrote:
chk071 wrote:
anomandaris1 wrote:This is not Massive 2
Hm... i was under the impression that it is the successor of Massive 1 indeed.
But it's called Massive X. So that's Massive 10. We've skipped 2 and a few others.
There wasn't a Windows 9 either. :shrug:

Why call it Massive when it's not a successor, or a offspring?
to capitalize on the name

:)

Well, AFAIC, many waited for a Massive successor, so, as long as the opposite is not proven, i assume that it IS exactly that.

Where is this "This is not Massive 2" coming from anyway? Any links, hints, official statements, or anything in that regard? Or just a stomach feeling.

chk071 wrote::)

Well, AFAIC, many waited for a Massive successor, so, as long as the opposite is not proven, i assume that it IS exactly that.

Where is this "This is not Massive 2" coming from anyway? Any links, hints, official statements, or anything in that regard? Or just a stomach feeling.
I don't know. Possibly because it looks like it will be modular and maybe that feels too far removed from the original concept.

Whatever numbers or letters follow, I would also consider it to be the sequel to Massive.

---

Shall we speculate on the name to the sequel to Massive X now? It could be Massive Y, Massive 3, Massive 11 or maybe they'll tack a descriptive word after the title.

chk071 wrote::)

https://www.musicradar.com/news/native- ... is-a-catch

"This is a completely new plugin synth - it’s not compatible with its predecessor and is designed to co-exist with it - and has been created by the team who came up with the original more than 10 years ago. "

Maybe the CM/Future music guys have some inside information to write such article.

So why is it not a Massive 2 then? Many successors are not compatible with their predecessors. Actually, most of them. And, all of them are designed to co-exist/have another plugin ID.

Actually, i'd be pretty disappointed if it WAS compatible with it, meaning that the synth engine hasn't changed, or still runs some kind of compatible mode, to have patch compatibility.

anomandaris1 wrote:musicradar.com/news/native-instruments-announces-massive-x-vst-synth-but-there-is-a-catch

"This is a completely new plugin synth - it’s not compatible with its predecessor and is designed to co-exist with it- and has been created by the team who came up with the original more than 10 years ago. "...
That's the bit for me. So it is X as a Roman numeral.

This will be a Kontakt instrument like Retro Machines, it's obvious :)

That‘s all just Spekulatius:
https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spekulatius

chk071 wrote:So why is it not a Massive 2 then? .....
Maybe because "This is a completely new plugin synth.... it has a more modular design than its predecessor, which enables synth elements to be changed and rearranged a little like Reaktor Blocks...."

Sounds to me like it's a completely new and different synth that is just using the Massive name because that name is familiar to people.

Both have the same section 'Routing' and I'm pretty sure it will be the same + X will have more/all modules available to move around. I know some expect it to be full drag'n'drop modular or even like mini-Reaktor where you can add unlimited amount of modules but hold your horses :wink:
Massive Routing
https://imgur.com/a/pWsKfyk
Massive X Routing
https://imgur.com/a/JGic5ir

felis wrote:
chk071 wrote:So why is it not a Massive 2 then? .....
Maybe because "This is a completely new plugin synth.... it has a more modular design than its predecessor, which enables synth elements to be changed and rearranged a little like Reaktor Blocks...."

Sounds to me like it's a completely new and different synth that is just using the Massive name because that name is familiar to people.
So like Dune 2? I don't see the problem, it's the successor to Massive so calling it Massive seems appropriate, after 10 years I would have hoped it was radically different and much more developed and been disappointed if it wasn't tbh, but it's still the successor to Massive (as NI's flagship wavetable based synth) so inherits the name.

maybe a dumb question but why does it matter what it is called?
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

ATS wrote:maybe a dumb question but why does it matter what it is called?
It has to be called something,so that people know what to buy :party:

I'm thinking that in true NI style,that Massive X will be expandable with extra modules and doo dahs from the NI store...

It's a proven marketing model that improves the income stream...

Sell them the base product and then accesorise it to death :wink:
No auto tune...

Don't know what you're all speculating about. It's all right there on NI's website. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MASSIVE X is an addition to the MASSIVE family, and will exist side by side with the original instrument.
They call it an addition to Massive. Not a replacement. Not a successor.
https://www.native-instruments.com/prod ... massive-x/

Return to “Instruments”