RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote:Blew me away?

Chris Hein Solo Violin and Cello
GForce M-Tron Pro
Realivox Ladies
EWQL Hollywood Strings
VSL Dimension Strings

And some other sample based stuff that we simply didn't have of this quality 40 years ago.

We've come a long way and I think we take a lot of this stuff for granted.
I am honored to have the mighty wagtunes comment on the forum! Thanks for your valuable input.

SciFiArtMan wrote: Now, I can get lost for hours/days just creating and fine-tuning sounds, often at the expense of creating actual music. And this we call "progress"! Ha!
Another forum called "I used to make music, but now only design sounds and presets.";)

After owning a real Minimoog Model D back in 2004/2005 and selling it i had used and/or owned all Minimoog emulations that were available including e.g. Minimonsta, Arturia Mini V, NI Monark and a few free ones. Finally it was Synapse Audio The Legend that did really blow me away and since i got this i never again had the desire to buy the real thing again....
Same is more or less true for the Prophet 5 and U-He Repro-5 since this was released by U-He.

Another one was Tone2 Saurus back in 2012 which i bought after around 15 mins of demoing it and did never regret it so far (FWIW with the v2 update it is even better...). While certain other analog modeled plugins that came later (including those mentioned above...) are better at doing certain sounds Saurus still is what i call a true "workhorse synth".

Concerning wavetable synths while i own many of them Tone2 Icarus did really blow me away when it was released (actually i was a beta tester for it...) and with the latest updates it is even better.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Daru925 wrote:
After that i'd say Fruityloops 2 and then Sytrus.
FL was pretty mind-blowing. Sytrus is fantastic, but coming from a subtractive background, I found it a bit challenging to program. 3osc was a breeze

stvrsz wrote:
Daru925 wrote:
After that i'd say Fruityloops 2 and then Sytrus.
FL was pretty mind-blowing. Sytrus is fantastic, but coming from a subtractive background, I found it a bit challenging to program. 3osc was a breeze

Ingonator wrote:After owning a real Minimoog Model D back in 2004/2005 and selling it i had used and/or owned all Minimoog emulations that were available including e.g. Minimonsta, Arturia Mini V, NI Monark and a few free ones. Finally it was Synapse Audio The Legend that did really blow me away and since i got this i never again had the desire to buy the real thing again....
Same is more or less true for the Prophet 5 and U-He Repro-5 since this was released by U-He.

Another one was Tone2 Saurus back in 2012 which i bought after around 15 mins of demoing it and did never regret it so far (FWIW with the v2 update it is even better...). While certain other analog modeled plugins that came later (including those mentioned above...) are better at doing certain sounds Saurus still is what i call a true "workhorse synth".

Concerning wavetable synths while i own many of them Tone2 Icarus did really blow me away when it was released (actually i was a beta tester for it...) and with the latest updates it is even better.
WOW! Thanks for commenting Ingonator! I am once again honored. I had a real Model D as well. I never worried about analog modeled per se since there are so many new real analogs out there. After all, by the time you buy u-he, Roland Cloud, or other CPU intensive plugs and a computer that can run multiple instances effectively, you are within reach of a REAL sub37 or almost an OB-6. OBXD is pretty awesome. I have played it over the top of YouTube videos and it sounds amazingly close.

The first time I played with sylenth1, in 2007, if I remenber, after that, dcam, diva, repro,the legend, rapid,Cypher2, and, not a vsti, phase4.
Best
YY

Chemik wrote:I had all this hardware and had worked to program all of these sounds and then a bandmate hooked me up with Logic back around V3 for PC and I got to play with ES2. The whole world changed for me.

Over the many years and hundreds of vsts later, I would say the only other vst that really hit me when I started messing with it was Spire. Thanks to the OP who brought up Superwave P8. I own every synth by Superwave because P8 just did what it did so well back then.
Thankfully, they have 64 bit versions out now.

dandezebra wrote:I remember Dune CM and thinking... What is this?

Others worth noting:

Aparillo - Default preset is amazing.

Rapture - First couple of times loading I remember how good it sounded. Still does.

Absynth 3 or 4 - I actually love the interface. I didn't know software could do that when I first loaded it.

Repro 1/5 and Bazille - Balls. They have balls.

Razor - Name sums up the sound. Cuts.

Don't make me list effects too! :wink:
Yup. DUNE CM/BE was like "WHAT"? Definitely NOT Sylenth1. Repro and Bazille are both "WOW."

stvrsz wrote:
dandezebra wrote:I remember Dune CM and thinking... What is this?

Others worth noting:

Aparillo - Default preset is amazing.

Rapture - First couple of times loading I remember how good it sounded. Still does.

Absynth 3 or 4 - I actually love the interface. I didn't know software could do that when I first loaded it.

Repro 1/5 and Bazille - Balls. They have balls.

Razor - Name sums up the sound. Cuts.

Don't make me list effects too! :wink:
Yup. DUNE CM/BE was like "WHAT"? Definitely NOT a Sylenth1 copy. Repro and Bazille are both "WOW."

how subjective this all is. my first 3rd-party plug-in was alchemy (eh). when i added sylenth1, it sounded like hardware (my brother owned every hardware synth at one time), and.. it was so much FUN to play with.

"fun' seems important (to me, anyway). am a musician first, a technical person second (or third...).

Orbit-50 wrote:Pretty good thread subject. Sorry to hear you had to get rid of you stuff back in the day. It took me alittle while to think about it, and I couldn't really think of anything at first, but now I remember I was blown away by reFX Vanguard a million years ago. Years later, while playing some chord progressions and using the mod wheel and foot pedal, Omnisphere blew me away. Last one would definitely be all of the Roland Cloud stuff. Just amazing!! Other than that, everything else was way cool, but just never blew me away.
Roland Cloud is fantastic(subtly avoids rant about subscription model).

Not feature wise but soundwise

U-He Diva
U-He Repro 5
Reveal-Sound Spire
Fxpansion Dcam Synth Squad Strobe
Synapse Audio Dune 1
LennarDigital Sylenth1
NI Massive
NI FM8
NI Monark
Roland System 8, Jupiter 8 plug outs
Cakewalk Z3ta
Genesis CM

stvrsz wrote:
Ingonator wrote:After owning a real Minimoog Model D back in 2004/2005 and selling it i had used and/or owned all Minimoog emulations that were available including e.g. Minimonsta, Arturia Mini V, NI Monark and a few free ones. Finally it was Synapse Audio The Legend that did really blow me away and since i got this i never again had the desire to buy the real thing again....

WOW! Thanks for commenting Ingonator! I am once again honored. I had a real Model D as well. I never worried about analog modeled per se since there are so many new real analogs out there. After all, by the time you buy u-he, Roland Cloud, or other CPU intensive plugs and a computer that can run multiple instances effectively, you are within reach of a REAL sub37 or almost an OB-6. OBXD is pretty awesome. I have played it over the top of YouTube videos and it sounds amazingly close.
Speaking about analog modeled plugins those are my favorites at the moment (without a specific order):
- Synapse Audio The Legend
- U-He Repro-5 (+ Repro-1)
- U-He Diva
- Roland Cloud Jupiter 8
- Xils Lab Syn'X 2
- Xils Lab PolyKB III
- Korg ARP Odyssey
- Tone2 Saurus 2 (+ an external bass boost plugin for more low end...)
- OBXD (freeware)
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I am surprised no one has mentioned Arturia or Korg Legacy.

Return to “Instruments”