Dave Smith Instruments Evolver - owner comments?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I finally made my order :D

(I ended up buying a car & new amp last time when loose money was around... I never really wanted a car but life's amazing, isn't it :?)

Now I'm just waiting the Evolver to ship... "Ships Immediately" has been a bit longer than I expected, but maybe days are longer when one's waiting for 1st real HW synth :)
DocT wrote:Mod Destination Distortion
Yes! :love:

Just in case no one else has said yet, there's a Evolver User Forum at www.EX5tech.com in the 'Other Synths and Equipment' area. About as close to Dave Smith as you're ever going to get. ;)

I think Dave Smith is maybe more of a unsung hero in the world of synths than Moog, Buchla, and Chowning. 8)

Steven West quoth
I think Dave Smith is maybe more of a unsung hero in the world of synths than Moog

Moog who?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

pakana wrote:I finally made my order :D
Congrats 8)

Being a very very happy owner of an evolver, I really wonder how polyevolver owners manage their beasts ... :shock:
I read on other forums : " well, 4 voices is not that much " while I thought 4 voices may be too much already ... :o

I am not quite sure if I really manage the Poly Evolver, but I have a lot of fun with polyphonic pads and 4 part sequencer multis :D

I have several Poly Evolver only recordings on my site: http://www.trippler.net/music/DSI-Evolv ... olver.html

Sorry guys, I'm gonna go against the trend here. After reading all the reviews and forums, I decided to pick one up.

Tried it in the shop and wasn't fully impressed but thought that it will grow on me once I bring it home. Got into the editing with no problems but really wasn't impressed with the sound. No where near as fat as my 101 or sh2 which i was hoping it would be. I also found the unit very noisy and didn't like the sound of the basic analog waveforms, i thought they sounded a bit weak. The digital side sounded very gritty, good if you like that kind of thing. I really couldn't get any smooth sounds out of it. Don't get me wrong, i like the distorted soundscapes it could make but I was hoping for something a bit more versatile.

Overall it was OK but really found it way to noisy and ended up taking it back. Dunno, maybe it was faulty but i haven't missed it at all.

The basic sound character is always a matter of taste. There's no discussing if you don't like it.

But there shouldn't be any noise. Both my Mono and Poly Evolver are completely silent at highest output and mixer levels. As long as I didn't program the noise ;)

Btw, here are some mor elush analog sounds from the Poly-Evolver:

http://www.trippler.net/files/poly/polyfun.mp3 :D

1 Poly-Evolver, means 4 Evolver voices, in 1-finger mode (basic transposing played live, the rest from the stepsequencers in multimode),a little reverb, no additional processing.

It arrived :love: :love: :love:

So small it's cute... and so alive :D

There's something about the filter sound that made me smile a lot yesterday evening... perhaps it's that there's no aliasing, and my ears are not used to that :lol: Mr. Smith really nailed his concept of "Thee Ultimate Dongle" with this one.

Furthermore, as I ordered other things as well, I was very, very pleased to find out that Eric Dahlberg from JRR Shop more than lives up to his good reputation as a fair and generally cool businessman. He and the other staff were friendly enough to answer my numerous noobie e-mails, they handled everything professionally and prices are excellent for Europeans right now. Thanks JRR crew, I know where I'm shopping from now on 8)

Short sunday morning Evolver blues:

http://www.trippler.net/files/poly/sundayblues.mp3 :D

Only one thing annoys me ( a little ): the sounds are so sharp that I can't work a long time with it, my ears begin to hurt quickly, sad because it's the most intense and productive synth I have ! :love:

Hey Doc T - I likee that a lot.

pakana wrote:C'mon guys - no cons?
I have one and love it. I agree with everything that people have said.

One criticisim of it is that it is not easy to control with other synths. You only have a few parameters that can be controlled with controllers simultaneously....ummm (struggling here, obviously) - you can modulate the clock division with the sequencer - but this doesn't really work when the Evolver is either slaved to another source, or is the master.

The o.s. hasn't been updated in quite some time...

I hope to maybe get the new keyboard version of the Polyevolver in the coming year...

Return to “Instruments”