Goa-Instruments

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks for the explanations!
But what about the "buddistic references"? I have never heard ANY Goa track and i wonder what is meant by these references.
The use of ethnic instruments? The pursuit to create a certain ambience?

I'd like to say a lot of thanks and greets to all the great posts...

At first i must (trance)late into german, but i ask my friend and than i get started to make my song...

I wish you a happy recording time

bye

L.M.

I thought a lot of psy/goa had heavy use of the nord series of synths (because of the fun FM mix knob). I don't know a lot about the genre.. but Synth 1 or Discovery would probably be pretty good for the sound you're going after.

-entheogen

people please stop recommding synth1 and albino.. production quality does matter in styles that have no thematic material, and mostly live of harmonic tension and production quality.

xRAVENx wrote:people please stop recommding synth1 and albino.. production quality does matter in styles that have no thematic material, and mostly live of harmonic tension and production quality.
:?:

You can use any synth you like... It's about how you use them.. As for the genre issue, I think goa is more "old school" psy.. Now days most of the groups are more into minimal or full on.. If you want to hear the GOA sound you should get some of the old "Distance to Goa" cd's or something...
A track like Children of the Doc - Martian Civilization Is very goa to mee.. And if you want to hear Budhism sound try out Talamaca - Sinai..

Entheogen wrote:I thought a lot of psy/goa had heavy use of the nord series of synths (because of the fun FM mix knob). I don't know a lot about the genre.. but Synth 1 or Discovery would probably be pretty good for the sound you're going after.

-entheogen
Entheogen is right. Most of the early Goa was produced with Nord Lead's and Roland Sh-101's, along with MS20's, TB303's, and even the Oscar.

As for building melodies, look up 'indian musical scales' in google and you will atleast find a basic overview of the chords/scales that make up common goa melodies.

If you want to build a good goa kick, try 'stomper'.

VST wise.. I won't mention the ones already stated but, Audio Realism Bassline for authentic 303's, and if you have some money to spend ... I suggest investing in Powercore/Virus Powercore.

Percussion... Some good ethnic sample cds are always nice. You wanna look for some tabla's, talking drums, etc... If you want that strong indian influence.

These are just suggestions, and a good place to start. But, really... There are no set rules to produce a goa track. One thing you do need is a lot of heart. Goa is a very spiritual and special genre, where a lot of talented musicians dwell... Ya gotta have the heart. :love:
I became tuned in on the network of neurological signals and cellular wisdoms that radiate hundreds and millions per second.

shamann wrote:
mucho insane wrote:BTW if you're making "goa" make sure to include the buddistic references, otherwise it's just psy, aight!
Hey mucho insane,

Could you explain this a bit. Never seen that mentioned a round here, and as I am not schooled in the finer points of goa and psy, I'd really like to know what Buddhisitc references you mean. I should preface, this should be taken at face value, not having a dig.

Cheers,
Steve

well, mainly it's because the "goa" style is forgotten and the public thinks that trance is the same as goa...so to be a genuine style, goa needs to use the influences that started the style...buddhism!

mucho insane wrote:well, mainly it's because the "goa" style is forgotten and the public thinks that trance is the same as goa...so to be a genuine style, goa needs to use the influences that started the style...buddhism!
But how is buddhism worked into the music? Some kind of Om/ourobouros kind of thing?

buddhism didn't start the style, geez

bunch of tourists partying out, ending up with a different style, thats called goa because its india.. and suddenly everyone starts making up stuff. theres absolutely nothing mystical or forgotten about it. its like ibizza, but another part of the earth, and a different sound.

shamann wrote:
mucho insane wrote:well, mainly it's because the "goa" style is forgotten and the public thinks that trance is the same as goa...so to be a genuine style, goa needs to use the influences that started the style...buddhism!
But how is buddhism worked into the music? Some kind of Om/ourobouros kind of thing?
the Goa style has it's roots in the island of goa and as such it's closely connected with buddhism.
I belive that buddist hippies started the genre when having psycadelic outdoor parties.

And as such, goa needs (imo) to have the buddistic influences to be genuine...otherwise it's psy-trance.

And with buddistic influense I mean indian scales, exotic percussion and a feeling/image of buddism.

Psy-trance as stated is more of a "machine" style...more doom n gloom but very energetic.

Ultimately it's hard to actually put a category onto any given style of music as the styles borrow from eachother all the time...even progressive-trance/house has been incorporated into the sound and vice versa.

In a goa production I would rely heavily on Fruity's TS 404. I never hear anyone about it, I really think it's overlooked, I'm not an expert but I think it's a pretty good TB 303 emulation. I have even got some bleepy chirpy digital sounds of it.

pencilgod wrote:In a goa production I would rely heavily on Fruity's TS 404. I never hear anyone about it, I really think it's overlooked, I'm not an expert but I think it's a pretty good TB 303 emulation. I have even got some bleepy chirpy digital sounds of it.
hmm...nice for psy basslines if you use the triangle waveforms!

mucho insane wrote: the Goa style has it's roots in the island of goa
Island of Goa?!?! Get an Atlas...

Goa is an ex-Portuguese colony halfway down the south-western coast of India. Its famous for it's beaches, drugs, parties and hippies.

An absolutely fantastic history and analysis of Goa trance is here
http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/arts/musi ... h/goa.html

its old - but good.

a

goa is NOT a f**king island !!!

slainte :x rob

Return to “Instruments”