Didgeridoo VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I suggest you try asking in the plug in development forum. The good, the bad and the ugly of VST developers lurk there. I'll leave it to you to decide which ones are which...

:hihi:

Holy moly--

Here's your breath-controlled dijeridoo:

-Go to hardware store
-Buy some PVC tubing
-Cut a reasonable length and then shorten it to pitch

I can't think of any good reason to make things more complicated than they need to be. Dij is one of those instruments whose complexity can only be realized through physical manipulation. Even using a breath controller won't do it because the changing sounds are based on modulating it with all kinds of different mouth shapes and techniques, along with sounds produced by the voice. On top of that, if you're already using a breath controller, you STILL need to learn circular breathing, so it's not like you're giving yourself an "out" that way.

I suppose you could do it so that your last sound is held for a few seconds when you're taking a breath, but you could also just a) learn to circular breathe-- it takes an afternoon or so; or b) play a real dij without circular breathing and then cut and cross-fade together. Nobody'll notice, I promise. :D

You could work years to develop something that even closely resembles the sound of a real dij, when a length of PVC tubing will do the trick. If you really want, you can get a real one in Australia for about $80 US, though shipping and customs might be a problem. OR, if you're in North America, look up Daven H, a KVR and CM/FM forum member who should be able to make one for you for a reasonable rate. :D

OK, after all that, I guess the question I should have asked first would have been: what is the motivation to make a dij VSTi?

Greg

Lunch Money wrote:Holy moly--

-Go to hardware store
-Buy some PVC tubing
Just what I was going to say! :lol:
I've made a couple of them out of ABS tubing, with beeswax melted over one end to form the mouthpiece. It actually sounds better than my "real" Australian dij... :)

Still, a VST version presents an interesting challenge. Of course it won't sound like the real thing or be nearly as versatile, but some things are worth doing just for the experience. Some people write music, other people write code...
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Couldn't agree more. I completely understand if it's just a personal challenge for a lark and to push yourself into new coding territory. ;)

Greg

Lunch Money wrote:Holy moly--

-Go to hardware store
-Buy some PVC tubing

I can't think of any good reason to make things more complicated than they need to be. Dij is one of those instruments whose complexity can only be realized through physical manipulation. Even using a breath controller won't do it because the changing sounds are based on modulating it with all kinds of different mouth shapes and techniques, along with sounds produced by the voice. On top of that, if you're already using a breath controller, you STILL need to learn circular breathing, so it's not like you're giving yourself an "out" that way.

I suppose you could do it so that your last sound is held for a few seconds when you're taking a breath, but you could also just a) learn to circular breathe-- it takes an afternoon or so; or b) play a real dij without circular breathing and then cut and cross-fade together. Nobody'll notice, I promise. :D

You could work years to develop something that even closely resembles the sound of a real dij, when a length of PVC tubing will do the trick. If you really want, you can get a real one in Australia for about $80 US, though shipping and customs might be a problem. OR, if you're in North America, look up Daven H, a KVR and CM/FM forum member who should be able to make one for you for a reasonable rate. :D

OK, after all that, I guess the question I should have asked first would have been: what is the motivation to make a dij VSTi?

Greg
Exactly...
And if you can't get to a eucalyptus (sp?) didje, just find some bamboo, as it works much better than PVC...

Anyone has something else?

Ethnosphere VST from www.soundburst.com

Tons of Didgiredoo samples and loops that you can play and shape with MIDI Ch.# controls. I think it's a awesome box that fills in where SE synths and 300GB Sample Collections just can't. ;)

Here's your specs for the didjeridu VST:

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~jw/dij/dij.html

Now get to work!

Can't remember if there are already any Dij patches (probably) but I'd think Absynth's pipe effect could be used to do a decent emulation. Not that that helps you in any way. :)
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Return to “Instruments”